Circle Lord Questions?????

Hawaii

My dear "homemade" technician just raised my machine this past weekend (he is my HANDYman), so I could use the CL giant templates!;)

I could not tell from the manual, but am I supposed to be working the machine from the front (freehand) side or do I need to be working from the back? and why?

Also, stabilized my giant swirlz with those rubber shelf liners. Do I need an edge stabilizer also (since the APQS tables are smooth with no edge). Or can I just tape the ends?

Barbara...

This is where you get a thousand different answers. This is what I do.

I work from the back of the machine when using any CL template. That way I can make sure the stylus is where it is suppose to be :)

I put the shelf liner under my template in one spot only because my DH/Handyman set my machine head on my table and now my plastic top is saggy in a spot. The liner helps build up my template where the table sags.

I always tape little things around my template to hold it in place....this could be wrong...I use a broken yard stick, and a couple of paint stick and tape them at designated spots along both edges of my king templates. Now, that being said, you may be able to use just the liner and it will hold your template...if that is true...that is valuable information and I'm glad you thought of it!! ;)

I use shelf paper too. And BTW I received a couple of templates from R&S designs yesterday and I had a blast playing with them. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my Circle Lord but I decided to try out the R&S templates because they are a lot cheaper. I may find in the long run that they will not be as good but I've ordered a few more to try out since they have quite a variety of patterns. These templates come with shelf paper strips on the back so they really stick to the shelf paper I have on my table.

I've been looking at the R&S templates also and wondering if they would work with our machines. I would like to know how you like them Julie because cost wise they are a lot cheaper but I wasn't sure how long they would last either. Just a lot of questions I guess. Maybe I should get on my horse and come down to see you and we could play with them for a day.....sound okay with you???? You call me or I will call you after the 4th.

Anxious to meet you and I can come down anytime convient for you........you just name the day.

Renae

I put my giant templates on the Rubbermaid type shelf liner and I also used the blue painter's tape to keep the boards in place, too. I work from the back of the machine - never tried the front. I have a Liberty, so my table width is probably narrower than the Millie's or Freendom's, so it is perhaps easier for me to see what I am stitching at the front, but while standing at the back. I do not have an edge stabilizer, other than a few scattered pieces of the blue tape.

I use the rubbermaid (or cheaper brand) of shelf liner under my templates and painters tape. I also work from the back to ensure the stylus stays in the grove and that the templates don't shift. I have R&S templates that I use in the front with "the topper" another great gadget. I love the variety of patterns that R&S has. I wouldn't give up either system, they both have their advantages.

I bought 3 rolls of shelf liner type material that is 20 inches wide and 4 feet long. (Lowes or Home Depot). they fit the whole table in the back. I also use the blue tape at the ends as insurance to keep the template from moving. I usually move the machine head with my right hand (holding the left hand handle) and my left hand touching the template.

A Mary Beth said, I also work from the back, to be sure the stylus is in the place it should be, and So that is is easy to change from one area of the groove to another when I want to.

THe CL templates may seem expensive but they are beautifully engineered and work wonderfully well. I recommend them to anyone.

I made it through my first and second pass on the CL Swirlz. I think I am going to love this tool.

Some issues:

I had to shimmy up some low spots where the pointer "lost" the track.

I forgot to quilt in the little filler diamonds, so had to go back.

Lastly:

How do I line up the pattern when I roll?

Can I go left to right then right to left? Or should I start back at left to right? (Hope that does not sound too confusing!)

Barbara - you'll see a few little holes in the template above the actual swirl. To line up the next row, I put the needle down in the quilt along the edge of the last row, opposite the little hole. I then roll the quilt up to where the stylus lines up with the little hole. Be very careful moving the quilt with the needle down in the quilt

By the way, when you are behind the back of the machine working with the template, the little holes should be on the side closest to you. Hope this makes sence.

Ok, I have to fix my last post. The above is how I do the quilting but you should probably do it the correct way which is, after you complete the last pass of the row, put the stylus in the little hole closest to the edge where it will be easiest for you to see when rolling up the quilt to start the next row. Then, roll the quilt up till the line of the last row is under the needle. This should set you up for the next row. It really isn't a good thing to move the quilt with the needle down in the fabric.

I am learning so much!!

Carol, I never knew that....I eyeball it!! This is going to be so much better....sometimes, when my quilting is complete - I could have done a better job lining it up if I had been cross-eyed :D

Jim, I was giving my extra shelf liner to DH to use in his toolbox...I'm hiding the rest!!

Barbara, you can take a little hammer and hit the plastic "liner" in the little dohicky that holds the stylus. That will lower your stylus a little. If it is only a problem in spots, then just put and extra layer of shelf liner under that area.

Archived