I probably can't answer this with creditability, as I am just getting my off the ground. But I just came back from the IMS in Springfeild, and there were vendors there, that told us people have been waiting for up to 2- years to get their quilts done. NOw finding these people might be a problem. I know I have two people within a 30 mile radious and they have a back-log of 2 months to a year. So I beleive with my research that it is a very viable business. While this is not the ground floor level of getting started, this business has not peaked, and quilting has grown about 15% the last three years.

Marlene: I see you're in Australia and what I know is only from talking to those in the U.S. But, it might help you or someone else some.

I do not know anyone who has failed if they truly wanted to succeed. Some have given up because (1) there is a learning curve and it isn't as easy as it looks; (2) some have unrealistic expectations of what they are going to make in this business; (3) it takes a while to get established clients and while I do feel there is enough business out there for everyone, some areas are better than others. Some areas have many more longarms than others. Some areas have more disposable income than others. Some areas haven't accepted machine quilting as comparable quality to hand quilting. But, with the internet, pretty much everywhere in the U.S. is "local" for those of us here.

I think most of whether you succeed or fail depends on your expectations going into the longarm business. For those who are leaving real jobs with a decent salary, they may be disappointed. For those tired of dealing with the corporate world and want spending money or to contribute in a smaller degree to the family income, I think they'll be ok. For those who just want to have fun and support their quilting habit, I think they'll be thrilled!

I believe longarm quilting as a business as comparable to most other forms of artistry. We have fun and we deal with interesting people but we are never going to be rich!

For me, the $$ isn't what makes it succeed. I love being home when my family needs me. I take my son to school, I pick him up at 3. I fix lunch every day and DH comes home for lunch. I "work" in shorts and a T-shirt. I can work some during the day and then work more after everyone goes to bed. I have FUN!! And, I love my job!

My advice to those starting out is:

1. Do not give up! Once you decide this is what you want to do, stick with it.

2. Be sure your expectations are realistic. Talk to other longarmers . . anyone you can find that you trust. Some are not quick to share, some seem to have no idea of reality so find several that you trust and go to them often for advice.

I have my own feelings about paying cash for the machine or getting a loan but I won't go into that here. Just be sure that you have a realistic idea of the amount of work you're getting yourself into and the amount of income you can expect to make and you'll have no disappointments.

Guest Linda S

As I have not started my business yet, but I have a feeling that I will hit the ground running. I don't think it should be a problem as long as you are willing to work hard and aren't shy about talking to people about it. I belong to a small quilting group at the University of Oregon. When I mentioned that I am in the market to buy a machine, several of my friends told me they have tops ready to be quilted and will wait for me to get my machine. I do some hand piecing, and take it with me whereever I go. While waiting in the doctor's office, sitting on the bus, or whereever, I have had people say, "Oh! You hand piece! I do quilting on the machine." I mention that I am also machine piece and am looking at buying a long arm for finishing quilts. They immediately want to know if I have a card, as they need someone to do their tops. Well, it's tempting to get those cards printed up, but I won't do it until I'm confident in my skills. But, I know the business is out there and it's easy to get if you are willing to talk it up.

Get yourself out there. Go to the local quilt shops with brochures and samples. You don't need to have fancy brochures - just a simple price list. People will want to see a sample of what you do before they trust you with the top they worked so hard to make. Just work hard -- you can do it!

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who just got their machine this past weekend, I am definitly pumped and ready to go. I've been researching for past six months, and just need to get my practicing in and I'll hang my 'open for business' sign out front.

Having recently moved from Tulsa to Houston, I can tell you that markets are definitly different. I'd say that while the market in Tulsa was growing, it is nothing like it is in Houston. I don't think anyone here (except me) hand quilts!

I think anyone who 'fails' is really just quitting IMHO. All you have to do to get excited again about why you bought that machine in the first place is to read through these posts, then get out there.

If you aren't getting enough business, go back and look at your business plan (we all have one - right?) What were the marketing plans that you had? I broke mine down in three areas. What I could do 1) immediately, 2) Soon and 3) Future.

The main thing is, do it in steps, and don't expect it to happen at once.

OK, stepping down from my soapbox :)

You are all boosting me up again!! I think remembering the excited is critical. I have not given up my day job, I am feeling my way. But working and other things does not always give me the practice time I want. And I feel like I should have a diffinite plan of practicing, (the bean counter in me A-B-C). So any ideas out there for that would help me.

YOu all have such great suggestions.:D

This doesn't happen to everyone but it happens to some so I'll share it here.

You get the machine and you're so excited and the first few pieces you do may not look fantastic. (they might . . but they might not) Then you start thinking about how much $$ you spent on this machine and how much room it's taking up in your home and first thing you know, you avoid going near the machine . . kinda like . . outta sight, outta mind.

Someone once shared that if you set a time for yourself -- whatever works for you -- and commit that you are going to work one hour a day or . . 30 minutes a day on the machine. If you put in your "required" time, you'll not want to stop.

So, for those of you getting a new machine or those of you a bit apprehensive about using your machine, figure out a reasonable amount of time you can spend each day or every other day and make a contract with yourself that you WILL do it. Even if it means it's 10 p.m. and you're fixing to get in bed, if you haven't spent your required time with the machine . . go do it. You'll be surprised at the difference this will make.

Guest Linda S

That's a great idea Judy. I think I might invest in a second alarm clock and set it for say 7:30 in the evening. When it goes off, it will be time to head upstairs to play on the machine (if I'm not up there already!!!). ;)

I have thought about what will happen if I stink at this and get afraid to go near it -- I'm glad you addressed that problem.

Linda

Hi Marlene

I'm glad you got to this site I am sure you will learn a lot here and see some very lovely work - Judy and others often put up links to their quilts and they are awesome but don't be daunted by them as these quilters have been quilting for some time.

Just one more week before you machine is shipped - I think.

Try not to worry - you will get lots of work once - you've practiced a little - your meandering is already very good.

See you soon

Sue in Australia

My time is very limited as I work a 40 hour a week job and still have two kids at home (three if you count my husband) so I've alloted my time into three segments.

If I know I have two hours to quilt I spend at least one hour on the current project due, 1/2 hour on items I want for inventory for my website and 1/2 hour updating my website if needed. This way I don't fall behind in any area and I still feel like I'm making some progress on my in-stock items.

debb1:)

• 3 months later...

I need some information on business that did not make it. When I met with my business consultant to go over my business plan she asked me how many of theses business have failed. I'm not sure if any have failed from all messages that I have read here in the last two days. How would I find this information.

Does anyone know how many longarm businesses are there. Did anyone do any research on this. I checked with the libraries and they have nothing availbale. I'm just curosity for my business plan. Thanks

Jacqueline

It's going to be difficult to assess how many quilting businesses have failed because, 1) people don't "advertise" when they fail, and 2) what do you consider failing?

Many of us have very different expectations based on our financial needs and desires. One thing we all have in common is a passion for quilting. Whether we do 1 quilt a day or 1 quilt a month might not matter. It might make more sense to concentrate on your particular market and do you business plan based on what you must do to succeed. Just a thought. Best of luck to you.

Diane --

You asked about a plan for practicing. I am not where I can look it up right now but someone did post a long plan on www.quiltropolis.com once -- starting with a muslin sandwich, doing straight lines over and over, then circles, etc., something like that. But I think what helps you fastest is having some pieced items to quilt that are more like quilting a real quilt. A friend got me 35 charity quilts -- they provide top, batting, and backing -- and they were fantastic because are real quilts and also had real problems that customer quilts can have (wavy borders, badly matched corners, lumps where lots of seams meet, etc.).

Currently there are various people making quilts for families of soldiers who have been killed in Iraq and for returning injuried soldiers, and the need is huge, of course. If you don't have another source for charity quilts, consider making simple quilts for those needs and quilting as your practice.

The more you do anything, the better you become at it. Find some overall patterns you can do freehand -- they're fun, fast, look good -- then find pictures of more designs and build on what you do well -- then practice stitch-in-the-ditch and custom designs to do in blocks. Sort of work your way up the price list -- simple overalls (or pantographs if you do those, many do, many never do), then customizing designs to fit blocks, sashing, borders -- then after you have lots more control, stencils of designs (it's harder to follow a line than do freehand things). But don't get discouraged -- it's almost as if you have to sew so far to do something easily and well, and suddenly you will . . . but you can only get there by practicing first. The more you quilt, the more you will enjoy quilting on your machine, too.

Mary

South Dakota

[i've had my Millenium 1 year now.]

Re practice - support your local guild or guilds if there are several in the area. You will meet wonderful giving people and they will be delighted if you volunteer to quilt some of their community service quilts. I had as many as I wanted to carry home each month and it paid off not only in practice but in advertising. I didn't make a big deal of it, just did them and turned them in. Since the quilts are displayed on the walls the day of the meeting, people were soon asking who did the quilting. Business boomed. A word of caution tho, I prefer to quilt for people who are not in my guild as I find that soon your meetings and social time there are taken over by ladies bringing, picking up, measuring, discussing, etc. I ask them to bring them to me at home now except for a couple of very elderly sisters who don't drive. All that going on before, after, during a meeting can lead to other members resentment so beware. Fortunately I was aware of potential problems so put a halt to it. In other words don't mix business and pleasure:-)

Mary

I think this may be the link you referred to about how to practice: http://www.houseofhanson.com/longarm.html Warning -- it has music! About half-way down the page you will see an article that says "Now that you have your machine" It gives fairly good tips on things to practice. It's been a good help to me.

I've got a charity quilt from the guild right now. I'll probably get a few more for practice. Beats having to piece them myself!

Linda

Thanks for the link, Linda. I plan on doing this / these exercises myself. I'm having a few close friends over in a couple of weeks to celebrate the arrival of Belle, and they too will be doing some stitching. I want them to see what it is like, and that it's not as easy as they may think. When they see how big the machine is, how much work it was to get the space ready and that it does take ppp to get it right, I think they will be telling every quilter in 3 counties about the service!

This is mostly in response to Jaqueline's search for failed businesses, but it may be useful to others also.

I don't know if the businesses really could be considered as a failure, but I know a couple of people who once they got into the business of longarm quilting, didn't like the stress and pressure and gave up doing client quilting. While they still quilt for themselves and charities on their longarm they are no longer in it as a 'business'.

This might be as close as you get to 'failure' since there really doesn't seem to be a demand problem. But it does take a certain person to deal with the public and especially on items that they may have special attachments to.

It also may have been that they just didn't find their comfort zone. I know that personally, I have a really hard time with clients that tell me exactly what they want me to do and I usually send them somewhere else, since I prefer to come to some sort of agreement on what looks best or just have the freedom to do what I think will be best. I know that's not much of a "the customer's always right" attitude, but if that's not a good fit for them then we really won't have a good relationship anyway, since I know that I can pick designs that will not only look good but will also work with issues that a top may have, or will work with the intended end use.

Just my opinion though - :-)

Thanks to Linda for the link to House of Hanson. The practice tips will be a great help. I've been practicing alot but without any real direction and not feeling like I was making the progress I wanted. Perhaps this will help.

As soon as my first thread order is delivered today, I'm going to put an old autumn leaf wallhanging onto "Big Momma" and give a real quilt a try. Scary!:o

Wish me luck

Barb

Archived