Couple of Questions???

Hi Everyone

I just love to sit here and read all of the fine responses to any question. If you were to buy a Hartley Fence, or Circle Lord, do they do the same things? and which would you purchase?

I am waiting for my millie to arrive some time very soon,

is there some where on this site that show pictures of the lighting @ power bar that runs above the machine as to how it is built?:D

Also would you suggest to get the zipper leaders and base extender?

Of all the tools that there is for a longarm quilting, which one could you not live without?

Sorry for more then a couple of questions, but my head is full of them. Thank you for all your help.

:D Gerri

I think your best bet is to wait until your new baby arrives, see what kind of toys it comes with, and play around getting to know one another first. Mine came with the base expander, I promptly sold it. I love my circle lord, but some people feel the same about the hartley fence. To each their own.

Beth

My used Millie came with the base extender and I've never taken it off, except for cleaning! Just get acquainted with your new "partner" and see what kind of quilting feeds your soul - then you'll have a better idea what kind of tools will work best for you.:P

I purchased the Hydraulic lift system with my machine and would not want to work without it. I am 5'7" and have a sensitive back. With the lifts, I don't have to bend over and quilt. I can adjust the table to any height.

When I'm doing fine work, I can stand up straight, raise the table to it's highest and my work is almost at my eyes. Since I'm near sighted that helps a lot.

I love my Harley Fence; however I have never used the Circle Lord. Just from what I can tell the learning curve may be a little higher with the Hartley. Myrna's DVD is fabulous.

I have the light system Jessica is talking about. Well I have the top lights and have already talked to Dave about the bottom lights. If you can swing it you should have him come and do the lights. He did my first set on my Freedom and my husband did the set on my Millie. Big Mistake. My husband just does not understand the long arm quilter. Also the bobbin winder shelf is awesome.

I use zipper leaders and love them. I have had cancer and all my lymph nodes removed in one arm and must avoid pricks and sticks. After I put my zippers on the table leaders I added canvas to the quilt back and top zippers. I put about 10 inchs in width. I use a chain stitch machine (Janome Cover Pro) to put my zippers onto my quilt back then zip them on the machine. When I am finish, I just pull one thread and the canvas is off. I will try to post a picture next week. (We decided to close our shop for Friday and Sat., YEA Us!)

I use the Donita Reeves expanded base. It stays on the machine. I like it better than the Hartley. Actually I like the way the machine moves with this base as opposed to the Hartley. However, I prefer the surface size of the Hartley Base Expander. As soon as I can I am going to a local sheet metal shop to have a custom base expander made. I want a lightweight metal base with a large surface area. So we will see what happens.

My most favorite tool is my Itty Bitty Ruler by Off the Edge for SID.

My favorite tool for going around applique' and embroidery is Deloa's AppliGuide. You can even do small areas of micro-stippling with it!

Hope this helps.

Sandra

Hi All

Thanks for all you great suggestions.

That is a wonderful suggestion to just wait until my millie is here to see what comes with it (javing a hard time waiting).

Going to lookup the website for the lighting thanks again.

:D

I had the Hartley Fence, couldn't use it, sold it...don't regret it. I bought the Circle Lord and love it. You don't need anything extra to learn how to use it. Just plop it on the table and away you go. I would recommend that you try them out at a show. I know CL sets up a booth at most shows....I have never seen the Hartley Fence at a show, but with Myrna's video and workbook...it might be something for them to consider.

I do agree with Beth. Wait until you have your machine set up, and learn to use it first. I have seen posts from people who bought a machine because they love to peice, and hate the job of quilting. Eventually they sell the machine.

My machine came with (or I may have purchased) the Hartley Base Expander, I'm not crazy about it. I would like to try a machine that has Donita Reeves base expander. I understand that Cindy Roth is coming out with one too. According to her, it is wonderful...who knows.

Give it some time, don't rush. Just have fun learning to use your machine, then go crazy!!

I love my zippers. I use a long basteing stitch on my DM to stitch them onto the backer & zip them onto my machine. When I'm finished I just clip a thread or two at the end of the zipper and can rip the zipper off of the backer. Takes about 5 min to put them on and 30 seconds to take them off. I will definately replace them when I wear these out.

I think it really depends on what type or style of quilting you prefer on what tools you would like. Personally I could not live without 3 things, my zippers, hartley expanded base and my microdrives. I use them all the time and they never come off my machine. I didn't think I would use the cl enough to warrant the cost so I chose to get the Topper and I'm glad I did. It gives me the opportunity to add in design elements quickly and it was a much cheaper option. I also purchased some of the R&S pattern boards that I can use and get many of the same affects as you get with the cl. I really like them too.

The key is to get your machine and play and then think about what how you will use your machine. Will you be in business where you will want to have some quick designs that you can make your money on or will you be using it primarily for yourself? Do you prefer freehand or premarked designs? Do you like ruler work or sid? All of these questions will help you decide on tools. If money is no object then get them all!

I love the zippers too.

I can pin a quilt at my cutting table, standing upright, and using the cutting mat to "bounce" the pins off of, instead of my fingers......so no pin pricks and bleeding fingers.

Also, I can unzip the quilt, take it to my large cutting table and inspect it (top and bottom) BEFORE I remove the zippers. If I've missed something, I can zip it right back on and correct the problem.

I use a Hartley Fence and love it. Myrna Ficken's DVD really helped me to learn how to use it. Haven't ever used the CL, so know nothing about it. I agree with the rest, get to know your machine, then buy the add ons that you think you will use.

Hi All

Thanks againg for all your wonderful suggestion, all of them taken to heart, the only thing I order so far was a base extender and a couple of rulers, also a few books.:D

About the free style, I would love to get good enough to do only free style, I have a passion for feathers and McTavishing, I am sure two of the most difficult to learn to do free style.:P

I really hate marking, I have spent hours doing it and still don't like it any better. I love the result but hate the time spent. I have also tryed Golden Threads paper and don't like that any better, with having to remove the paper after, I have done paper and Bounce that was not that bad, but I found the bounce would not stay very well, I was using a DM to quilt with, and the quilt would rub and loose the powder.:(

I am going to order the zippers, they sound like they are a must have, how many top zippers would you start with?:)

Also what is the fastest way to mark a quilt? Can you tell me about the black light? do you have to have a special marking medium? Is it an advantage? :D

Any suggestion that you all might have would greatly be appreciated.:)

Thanks Again

Gerri

Still waiting ordered on May 29/08 should be anyday now!!

ps: What is a Topper and who is R & S?

Gerri,

There are many ways to mark a quilt. A lot of times I will use the black light pencil and use my black light so I can see where to stitch. Also, I use Miracle Chalk and the Miracle Chalk pencils. I don't remember the brand/type of machine you have or have ordered, but if it is an APQS, are you planning to take the beginner classes? In those classes (2 I think) they will go over all of the different ways to mark the quilt and how to use some of the tools you are asking about. You really need to take those classes. I think they are free with the purchase of your machine.

Originally posted by GSmit

ps: What is a Topper and who is R & S?

The Topper is made by one of our own's DH...here is their website addy.

http://www.topperquilttools.com/

This is a tool that can be used with design boards and can be operated from the front of your machine....

And R&S Designs is a place that you can get design boards...both full sized and smaller ones that can be used with the Topper.

and here is their website addy.

http://www.rns-design.com/

Bonnie thanks for adding the Links for the topper! I missed the question. They are a great way to get design elements quickly and then fill in.

Gerri you will be getting a couple of pantos with your machine so try those out to make sure you like working with them. I love the results but don't like doing them. I much prefer to be on the front side of the machine.

It sounds like you are making good decisions and you will find out real soon what you like and what you don't like. Marking is always a challenge. I much prefer to mark and then stitch because then I get the exact results I'm looking for. Like you it is not my favorite thing to do but it just has to be done. I use both the miracle chalk, black light powder and pencils and blue washable markers. I have also used kids Crayola washable markers with great success. You get a really dark line and it washes out with warm water. The bad thing is that you have to wash it out. The good thing is it is really cheap and stays put until you want it gone. I try to go with the lightest color I can that will show enough for me to follow. I always test first!!!!

Thank you Bonnie and Heidi--I also missed the question about the Topper!!

For those who are interested, we are having a great and frantic time with this new venture--we are sending a Topper to Australia soon!

Also, Dennis has just devised a way to attach our on-board laser all the way out to the end of the Topper arm. This works great for laser-tracing paper patterns very accurately instead of having the laser on top of the machine and having the light at an angle.

We should have all new additions on the site soon.

Thank you to everyone who has encouraged us and tested our products. You are all so great!!!

I could not live without 3 things: my Towa Gauge, Zippers-have 3 sets, and a 3 inch star screwdriver.

The Towa Gauge has solved most of my tension problems.

I take the quilt off with the zippers on, if I missed a spot I can put it back on again.

The 3" star screwdriver is just the right size for removing the screws on the plate under the needle and the one over the bottom cutter.

I have the Hartley Fence -don't use it, got the circlelord and that is a lot easer to use.

Never heard about the Topper before, must look into that.

Archived