Teddyfabric as Backing??

Hi folks,

I do need your experience.

New customer who has finished a top. She is a beginner and the top is very well pieced for a first timer.

She wanted to handquilt it also, but turn out not having the patience for it.

Her sandwich will be

Top - Cottenfabri

batting - thin poly-batting

Backing - Teddyfabric. Well, it has this loopy thing on front and looks knitted from the backside. It is stretchy.

Good thing is, the tighter woven part will go up so that I can pin this side to the leader.

My question, would you do a half float of the backing? Because it is so stretchy. Or would roll up the whole backing to the backing leader.

My concerns are that when I am advancing the whole thing, I am stretiching it more then it will be good for this sandwich.

Any hints, tipp, ideas are highly welcome.

Oh, did I say it is a kind of rush job as well?

Thanks in advance.

Andrea

I think... well, I think I'd roll it on.. take up the bags.. so it doesn't have connecting hammocks.. and pin a lot as you go down.. Pin all the way acrosss about 4"beyond the line the machine can stitch I am thinking if you keep an eye on the batting and resettle it a lot, like every advance.. you should be able to work this thru. Check often for bags or pleats, etc.. Sounds like a nightmare.

Wouldn't it be nice to have huge rolls of butcher paper we could iron on the right side of these fabrics, then of course it would also be easy tear for removal.. just fall away behind the stitching or something?? Dreams!!!

RitaR

Originally posted by andriko

Backing - Teddyfabric. Well, it has this loopy thing on front and looks knitted from the backside. It is stretchy.

Good thing is, the tighter woven part will go up so that I can pin this side to the leader.

My question, would you do a half float of the backing? Because it is so stretchy. Or would roll up the whole backing to the backing leader.

My concerns are that when I am advancing the whole thing, I am stretiching it more then it will be good for this sandwich.

Andrea

Teddy fabric: My guess it is polar fleece?

Andrea, if it is stretchy, pin the selvege edge to the canvas and keep as loose as possible so not to stretch. Yes, definitely float. :) Please share photo if you can?

Teddy fabric sounds like Minkee, it's a poly, furry on the front and smooth knit on the back. I use the Minkee as the backing, my Millie doesn't like the pile on top. I pin to both rollers and float the top and batting as usual. I baste the quilt as I go, you may need to pin the sides so the they stay flat. Check the back as you roll and as always ease off on the tautness of the top and back as you roll too! I also recommend an open, all over quilting such as a meander or stippling, it's just less frustration with the Minkee that way. It tends to droop on the sides so watch for puckers. I also try to pin the selvedge to the rollers. Good luck!

to all of you kind advices.

Result: I will call the customer to change for another backing.

The teddyfabric (sorry for this term) is this thicker polar fleece like Shana wrote.

The customer wants to have cabel feathers and swirls and SID. Would be managable I think BUT this "*ç%& - Backinfabric is sewn together to get the length of the top. And I can get the hopping foot over that seam. Although I raised the hooping foot. This seem is a straight stich and the ends do roll up.

Being a wise girl (sometimes...) I rolled forward to that seam before I started anything else.

Now I leave it up to the customer what she wants to do.

Thanks a again for all your help.

Andrea

I have used fleece with Great success on our LA.

I don't put a batting with it. I pin as normwal and then instead of tightening the rollers tight I keep them fairly loose. The fleece shows the quilting nicely and I have not had puckers at all.

Can't say how quilting polar fleece is on a LA yet 'cause mine hasn't yet arrived. However I've done quilts on my DM without batting..don't need it as the fleece does that job too. I never had a problem with puckers either.

So I would definitely skip the batting and baste like others have said. Could also spray basting spray on the back of the top and press in down to the polar fleece as you roll it. Not sure if that makes any sense on a LA.

Good Luck

Marlette

Archived