The Mille

I am just about to order my Mille long arm. I was watching QNN TV today_ Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting: Love of Quilting 400 Series: Longarm Quilting in Japan.

Maybe I have the sound high or maybe I'm being over anxous before ordering the machine however I thought the machine wasn't very quiet when Marilyn was using it. Can someone tell me more about it and enlighten me on how the machine sounds, quiet or not?

Orla

Orla...all the machines have a certain noise....some are louder than others....APQS machines are quiet compared to another brand, but then they will say the same thing about their brand so I would want to check them all out.

APQS machines, are certainly not silent... but they are no way as loud as say a vaccum, or as silent as a fan in the window....so I would suggest you try it in person if that is the ordering factor here. I would hate for you to get it and find it to noisy for you.

You won't need to wear ear plugs, by any way, but then my husband chooses to wear them when he runs ANY kind of machine....silent or not...his choice, I don't bother to wear them even on the lawn mower and I can hear people walk up behind me when running my APQS longarm....

When I ordered my machine.......the main factor I took into consideration when talking to others was this.......what kind of help was I going to receive if and when I needed it???? What if I needed help on a holiday?? or a week-end??

When I got to talking with others that owned other machines I found the answers and APQS was the way to go. Other machines are good but there is nothing.......and I do mean nothing better then the help you recieve from the staff at APQS or the REPS. If you have a problem all you have to do is either call them or email them and they are johnny on the spot with answers by calling you or emailing the answer right away. There is NO ignoring you or putting you off till the next working day........how do I know this??? Because it happenes to me on a holiday and when I called them they actually gave me a cell number so I could get my problem fixed right away .

As far as the sound factor........all machines have there own noises and they are ALL different.

Sorry this got so long....I sound like I'm selling APQS machines,

but I don't.....I just own one. But before I bought one I was like you and checked around for a long time and tried them out. I am very, very happy with mine AND the service AND the help I get from right here on the CHAT. Hope this helps you and good luck.

Renae

I've always noticed that the noise that comes from a video recording is distorted and not balanced (is "tinny" a word?) and the recorded sound level is much, much louder than what's true in real life. If you were to use one you would notice that the machines are not really that loud. :) That goes for all of the machines, not just APQS. The machines really are pretty quiet.

Orla,

I had a stretch rotary machine prior to my milli and the noise difference is significant. My milli is not loud at all. I really thought the noise from the stitch regulator would drive me wonky but it doesn't at all. I have a major problem dealing with noise and I'm happy to report I never thought of saying "shut-up" to my machine! It is easy to get in the zone!

Actually when the machine is turned on but not moving, it is pretty silent. The stitch regulator does this soft beeping thing to let you know it is on and ready.

When you start moving, the machine starts stitching consistent with your movement. The sound relates to your movement of the machine head/needle. It really isn't noisy at all. I have had both APQS and Gammill machines. My current machine is a Gammill. And it IS noisier than the APQS machine. ;) But after a while I just got used to it. I don't have any trouble hearing TV, the phone or DH....well, I sometimes pretend I don't hear DH.:D

I just bought Juki TL-98Q. It is so fast and with the 1/4 inch foot, I can zoom along very fast when doing strip piecing. And when I put the pedal to the metal, now that is noisy.

If the noise is a concern, you probably need to visit a rep or a friend who has a machine in a home environment. At a show, it is already pretty noisy from all the people and the machine is in a big open space. Hard to judge the noise there.

Hi Orla-

When I first got my machine, I thought is was loud, but after a few quilts, I can honestly say I don't hear it anymore. The sound has become second nature to me.

I have just purchased a second machine. It is an older model. (2001) It surprises me every time I turn it on because it has a "Doorchime" Ding, Dong! It's a new sound, so it will take me a bit to get used to it. I laugh whenever I hear it.

I guess what I am trying to say is, All the machines, make some sort of noise, but like anything else, you just get used to it.

Laura

I think from your comments that all the long arms have some nose that is normal for them.

Would like to ask if the new Mille's are still made with the door bell signal to remind that the stitch regulator is on?

Orla

Orla,

The new "Millie" has a constant low tone "churp" beep while the SR is on. I work on a fighter jet base and listen to loud noise all day. I like a little quiet when home but it's true all LA's (machines in general) produce some kind of mechanical noise. After about 5 minutes of quilting I don't pay any attention to the sound of "gator" happily sewing along. What I do notice, is any out of the normal sounds "gator" is making. It's amazing how these machines can train their owner's to operate them and know when something is not right. On another note, APQS is a family owned business, reps and customers are an extension of the family. The guys in IOWA and the reps will take the time to help you no matter the day or time. In additon, all quilters are welcome to use this APQS forum.

I have an older Millie, it doesn't do the door bell ding...it beeps the whole time I am in SR mode. It is really no big deal. I don't even notice it, but I've had it for 4 years so I'm use to it. Jeanne has a Millie around the same age of mine and her's does the door bell ding. I don't know how they decide what sound to put on which machine...it's really no big deal.

When at the the Pacific International Quilt show, I was trying out the Freedom and Millie they had there. I was two rows and quite a few booths away and heard a machine working away. It was the Gammill (not to bad mouth them - but they were much louder).

The motor has a smooth sound and the Stitch Regulator beeps - but you get used to it because you're focusing on the quilting.

Hey Laura, That "doorbell" sound drives my puppy nuts!!! He can't understand why I don't answer the door!!! I hope he eventually gets used to it. He isn't in the room with me but still hears it!!

Debbie Cadwallender

APQS Sales-Service-Education

afiinishedquilt@tds.net

517-304-6954

Archived