I heard of bats in the belfry but a rock in the batting???

We had the strangest thing happen to us the other day. The needle on our Milli broke and dragged through the quilt about 1/2 inch before Kelley could grab the machine and turn it off... We had the machine on CQ.

Kelley thought that it was very odd that the needle had broken...never happened before...

Come to find out, there was a small rock/stone that was buried in the batting. Of course when the needle hit the rock, it popped off the end of the neede.

Has anyone had a similar or even stranger experience before?

Can you see the rock in the picture?

post--13461899993697_thumb.jpg

I've never had a stone/rock, but I have had tons of seeds and small sticks...mostly in the Warm N Natural products, and once in Hobbs 80/20.

Is this hole fixable, or are you going to have to stop and replace the square sections that tore?

Hi!

I actually really like the batting until this happened. It was a softer polyester and actually quilted really nicely until we hit the rock.

The person told me she got the batting from Joann Fabrics about a year ago (on sale) and didn't remember the brand.

We didn't try to quilt over the "bad" spot again. I hope she has fabric to be able to patch the area. I did send matching thread. We felt so awful but what do you do? I didn't charge her for this quilt though there was no way we could have prevented it.

The first quilt we did for her turned out well...you can see the the polyester actually puffs nicely. The ironic thing is that we were doing a pantograph....if the pattern had been shifted even a 1/4 inch, it would have missed the rock and it was on the last row.

Polishing stones for bobbins...that's interesting too!

post--13461899994858_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by yeoldeforest

The person told me she got the batting from Joann Fabrics about a year ago (on sale) and didn't remember the brand.

Polishing stones for bobbins...that's interesting too!

Now I'm wondering if the rock got into it after the customer bought the batting...if it layed around for a year and was out of the package...maybe that's how it happened. If it was a natural fiber I might see it getting in there through the making process, but where would a rock/pebble come from in a poly plant. Very sad that this happened.:( Its something none of like to see, and there seems to be times it just does. I put a hole in a quilt just last month...needle broke when it hit a thick seam and before I could get the machine shut off it cut a hole and a line of tiny ones.:(

The polishing stones for bobbins or other kinds of metal is a calcium type product...we use to use them in tumbling shell brass, but have since gone to corn husks or walnut shells to do the brass tumbling.

Once in a while you will find one of these calcium type rocks in a pocket of a new pair of blue jeans...they also use them to soften up the denim and give it a worn look...it also makes the fabric a bit more soft...not as stiff as the jeans of the 70's and 80's.

How unfortunate all around--both for your distress and the damage to the top. I also would want to know how a rock came to be in the poly batting. As Bonnie said, maybe in with a natural product but there must be another reason for it being in a synthetic product. No way to know how it really got there, I guess.

On a similar note, I wanted to purchase some Warm & Natural at Joann's latest 50% off sale and the roll they offered was so filthy-looking they couldn't seem to get anyone to buy it. They were trying pretty hard, though. The clerk dismissed my concerns saying there was nothing wrong with it and it "wouldn't show inside a quilt anyway". Some of the "pieces" on the dirty side were the size of twigs and you could actually pick them off leaving a little hole in the batting! There were also greasy-looking streaks evenly spaced along the batting like maybe this roll was the first of a run and it cleaned the machine as it went. I can't imagine it getting past QC at the Warm Company nor can I imagine Joann's finding it acceptable. I order a roll at a time and now order only W&W. Just my experience but something to watch for.

Joanne and Kelley... I'm just glad neither of you were hurt and hope the machine wasn't beyond the needle. LOL, Joanne, what was that comment about when to change needles??? I forgot... LOL Changed mine recently too..

Kelley, kind, informative, friendly, quilting, bud o mine.. um do you have a pict of those joints.. yet.. Not yours!!!! on the Milli?????

PleasePPPlease?

RitaR

Archived