Saddle stools

I know this topic has been discussed and I did do a search but. I have found 2 places online to purchase a stool:

bizchair.com and 1stergo.com

Are there any others?

I am using my dh's really old barstool that is hard on my butt. Can't tell yet what it is doing to my back! I need to get my own and I want it NOW!!!!

Help! Quickly!

Hey, I just bought one from ebay last month. It is chrome and has hydraulic lift with the little foot rest and back rest, too. It is used (barely) and in real good shape. I LOVE IT! I can skooch along and quilt; no more standing.

It was about $50 with $20 shipping (total $70) and that included the shipping, but the new ones go for at least twice that. If you want to save a little you could search ebay (new and used). Just an idea...

Here's a pic of mine:

post--13461899994732_thumb.jpg

Oh, good, more options!!!

Shana - do you like the back on yours? I noticed that alot of the others don't have the back......

I guess it keeps you from falling off when leaning back admiring your work! ;):D;)

I didn't think of eBay.......I'll go there next!

I'm glad that someone brought up saddle stools. My question is can they roll on carpet? Does anyone have one on carpet? Can we lay something over the carpet? I vaguely remember someone saying they had a sign on the floor to roll over. That isn't an option for me. ha.

What actually is the benefit of the saddle stool vs. a regular stool?

You can get the hard plastic floor mats that are designed for desk office chairs to easily roll around on carpeted floors. I'm not sure if they come in long narrow sections, but you can ask around. I'm sure there is something you can use as a substitute, such as lay down a long piece of plywood, treat it with some sticky glue material to help the plywood adhere to the vinyl, and then lay some thick vinyl flooring (one big piece, or the little 12" squares) on top of the plywood. That would work great, too!

Saddle stools are handy because the way you are somewhat "squatting" in the chair, you sort of sit and sort of stand both at the same time. It's as if you are standing, but your weight is mostly on the seat, not your feet. Because you are sit/standing on the stool, you can quickly stand and get up/down back in the seat again. Your feet can push you incrementally along the floor as you skooch with your quilting machine.

Laurie,

I got my saddle stool at 1stergo.com and love it. It is the best thing I did for my back! I like that Shana's has a back too. I don't know that I would use it much but I suppose it would be a good thing. Off to the chiropractor to get an adjustment...see why I need my saddle stool? The gardening got me good and I have been miserable for 2 weeks. Needless to say the weeds are winning!

I have the saddle stool, (no back) from Bizchair. I like it very much. It has eliminated backaches for me. The stool forces you to keep your back straight instead of slumping over. I have used it on vinyl and on carpet. It works best on a hard surface, of course, but it also works on carpet. You just have to work a little harder to push yourself along. The stool is available in 2 heights and you need the tall one for the longarm. I would love to have the shorter stool when using my dsm. The saddle stool is more comfortable for me than my Koala sewing chair. That's my 2 cents!

Sherry J

Sherry - good to know about the shorter chair! I also have the Koala chair and it is as comfortable as I would like it to be. I use a cushion on it when I sit to sew.

I'm thinking I will try Cheryl Uribe's stool next Tuesday when I am there for Karen McT's class. (I hope Cheryl doesn't mind! ;) )

I do want to get one and I suppose it comes down to price and shipping costs....

About a year ago, I found my saddle stool at one of the vendors on Amazon.com. I can quilt happily for hours now!

Make sure you get the higher one.

It rolls on carpet fast enough. If I were on a slick floor, I'd really have to hold onto the rails. hehe

Don't know what I'd do with a back on the stool, since I climb onto it from the back. Really!

Archived