Design walls

kusmaulk

I am preparing to install some design walls in my studio. I have 1" insulation boards and some white flannel. I am thinking that I will wrap the flannel around and staple (and glue?) to the back. Then we will mount them to the wall with screws and washers. Those of you who have done this before, does this sound like a good plan? What kind of glue will adhere to the styrofoam? Do you need to glue the front also? Maybe some spray adhesive? I don't want the fabric to sag once the panels are up.

Any advice you may have is WELCOME!

I used spray adhesive...came in a black spray can.. really really sticky, and only used it on the sides or the insulation boards....I then wrapped it around to the back and stapled it with a household stapler...just enough to hold till I got it up against the wall. Then DH, took wall screws and went into each corner and several down the sides to screw it to the wall....

worked well...lasted for over 7 years before I took it down and moved to another location, no room now, so don't have them anymore.:(

I also used a thin batting first and then put my design wall on top of it and just fastened it on the back with staples. After DH attached it to the wall he framed it w/2" molding to finish it off. My design wall is actually 147" x 67".

Renae

I too, added a layer of batting before putting the flannel on. I don't know if you really need it. I guess I just think it helps hold the pins in place. I like the idea of mounting it to the wall and framing it! Mine is just leaned against the wall. (It's really big!)

Peggy

Mine was white, but I have heard that the prefered color is grey or off white....NOW is that true...don't have a clue, but the girls that came into my studio, said I was wrong...I just grinned and said it was okay with me....

Guess it has something to do with color scheme of blocks on white...can't see the true colors...'gain, it was just something I was told, I had NO problem with it...even liked it.

I just bought white because it's what I'm used to. I have been using the backs of flannel backed tablecloths, just pinned up to the wall. (Looks bad when it starts pulling at the pins. ) This will be so much better, I'm sure. And I'll be pinning into styrofoam, and not the wall.

Someone said to duct tape the fabric on the back. I hadn't thought of that. good idea.

I used spray adhesive before stapling flannel to the panels. I used white because another color might make the room seem smaller but I once heard Libby Lehman talking about photos for entering quilt shows and she suggested medium gray is the best background for photos. Perhaps that's why some recommend it to cover design walls? Nancy

Our handyman friend came this morning and he and I installed 3 panels! They are now covered with blocks and small art quilts! We had a little trouble with the screws getting hung up when trying to get through the flannel, but we worked it out. I am so happy with them and they look so much better than what I had before. It took much longer than I thought it would because he is very fussy. He was worried that the screws would show, but I told him I would have them covered in a hurry.

Then this evening, DH came home with a new executive desk chair for my little office. Am I getting spoiled! A happy day for sure.

Thanks for all the advice you sent.

Archived