need ideas for educating piecers about longarm services

hey kids!!

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

My guild president approached myself and another newbie longarmer about giving a presentation on what piecers need to know about long arm quilting.:oOf course I said yes thinking it would be a great opportunity to educate and communicate with the piecers in the guild. I have been longarming only since nov of last year and my co-presenter less than that. If any of you more experienced long-armers out there could help with any topics you have found to be more common or even an unusual situation it would be extemely helpful!!I know 2 heads are better than 1 but a whole chatroom of helpful quilters is PRICELESS!:D

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU !!THANK YOU!!THANK YOU!!

susan

Hi Susan-

Perhaps you could start by describing the process from the very beginning. As you do this you could explain the problems you would encounter with loading the backer--such as if the backing wasn't squared up , was too short , or if it was pieced but the selvedges were left on. This way they would understand the reasoning behind all the "rules".

Then you could go on to the batting and explain the different effects you can get with cotton or poly batting and also the different weights available.

As you go on to loading the top you could explain the importance of having a squared top and flat borders. This would be a great time to print a hand-out with instructions for adding (flat) borders and how to prep a top for a longarm. And of course you would add info about your business!

One thing I have had problems with is tops with untrimmed threads on the underside. Point out that dark threads on the back will show up bigtime through lighter pieces after quilting.

Everyone is always fascinated by the actual quilting process so you might also describe the hours of practice you have done to reach a professional level! You could describe pantos and freehanding and explain why different methods are priced differently.

What a great opportunity to educate and advertise at the same time! I might suggest this to the program chair at my guild. Have fun!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa.

Millennium

Thanks Linda!!

You've got some great ideas.....I had forgotten about some of those issues like the dark threads and different batting results!!Not to mention the HOURS :P of practice!!!!!!I hope we ALL ( quilters and piecers) get something out of this!!

Fingers crossed!! Thanks again!!

susan

also if you can sew up a couple examples of what not to do....like two slaveges sewn together in the center of a backing.. showing the butt cheeks effect when loaded on the rollers.

the pieced to the edge and not lock stitched down... so when loaded the threads start undoing ....... threads on top...... where they get tangled in the quilting....... ect.,

to many flying geese blocks at one point and none of the extra fabric been trimmed......

Just think of the worst quilt you have ever done..... and remember all the things that made you mutter..... and cry about.

Thank you!!

This is why I knew you all would have more ideas...I havent been quilting long enough for some of these things to have happenend to me!!And help me out with the butt cheeks effect...?Do you mean the build up of fabric seam alowances on either side of the seam??and oh yeah ...the worst quilt I've ever done (well close second!) was times 2!!HUGE !!!Block of month from hancocks in not-my-favorite color combo's..both were difficult for different reasons.....and I know there are MORE out there!!:mad:Thanks again!;)

I would bring up the importance of adding borders correctly and maybe even have a demo of measuring the center of the quilt in 3 places then averaging the 3 measurements to get the length of the border. I would also point out that if the difference is more than 3/4" or more that they will have tucks/ pleats quilted into the quilt....there would be no way around this.

I would also point out that seam allowances are also important...anything less than a 1/4" has the potential of the quilt falling apart over time due to "weak seams" and larger than 1/4" would add too much bulk to the seam causing certain quilting to be more difficult for the Long Armer.

These are just some of my pet peeves that I have come across so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your help longarmers!!

Our presentation went smoothly and I think we enlightened more than a few piecers!!! Our guild president e-mailed me to say thanks and that she enjoyed it. Now we're kicking around the idea of approaching other guilds to see if they would be interested in our program.No extra business yet..

but I did hand out cards and flyers(FINALLY!) to those interested....fingers crossed....(plus I think it helped that I brought a finished king size custom ,LOTS OF QUILTING block of month to guild member/client and she showed it at show and tell that night;)!!THANKS AGAIN LONGARMERS!!!:D

Archived