To Fold the Business Card or Not to Fold....That Is The Question

Mary Beth

I've been hitting my ruler lately...so I have readjusted my hopping foot a time or two, or three :mad: I looked at the manual and it said I should be able to slip a business card under the foot. I was wondering about folding the card, then our own Card...Linda Card ;) said something about folding a business card. The manual doesn't say a folded business card, do I or don't I fold?

Since I readjusted the last time I am being very careful and I have noticed the problem is coming from that front part of the foot that is cut out - not completely, just partially. My ruler keeps kind of hooking on that when I am going around applique. I wouldn't think my foot should be higher - I only used a single business card - not folded...I think I am starting to talk in circles :o

Mary Beth,

The hopping foot on Penny raises high enough when stitching, to catch the edge of a template if I don't hold it flat enough..

in the lowest position, a quilt using W & N Slides freely under, plus the thickness of a credit card, not folded.

I can't remember for sure; thinking thats the adjustment Himself and Amy at APQS made.. with me breathing hot air down his neck, of course. :P

RitaR

MB, I have seen even as much as three business card thickness is acceptable, but I don't really check mine and I only have problems when I'm not paying attention. I think maybe if you are having problems, it might be an operator issue or maybe your batting is really thick and you just have to be extra extra careful. I used an extra thick batting, and fleece on the back the other day and still didn't have much of a problem. Just my reality, I would think that your hopping foot would have to be way high to cause the problems you are having.

Hold 'er down and quilt away.

Donna

Mary Beth,

The single business card height is optimal for thin battings such as Warm and Natural, Hobbs, Quilters Dream, etc. If you use thicker polyester, then two business cards would be a standard setting. Two business cards should also work, so long as the batting isn't wafer thin.

If the foot is set too high, you'll notice more skipped stitches and reduced stitch quality.

The foot you have right now is what I'd call an "intermediate" foot in that the original APQS hopping foot was thin all the way around. Once rulers became more prevalent, the foot morphed into a 1/4" high foot on the sides and back, but the foot still had a cut out on the front to increase visibility. The latest foot is 1/4" all the way around, with just the inside of the foot's front shaved to aid in visibility.

For years all I had was the first thin foot. I had worn it down to nearly a "V" shape from using rulers next to it. Eventually I finally purchased the current foot and had it switched on my machine.

While it can be changed by someone who's handy, it may be better to have it done sometime by the factory. Since the foot shaft is long, it requires the hook assembly to be removed, and the machine will need re-timing.

In the meantime, be sure to keep the needle between your thumb and forefinger, which are positioned on the ruler. Be extra careful when holding the ruler on the very front of the machine, or try "freehanding" horizontal lines. You might be surprised at how well you do:)!

Along with having skipped stitches and reduced stitch quality, having the hopping foot set too high will cause more problems with directional tension. Having the foot set as low as possible is best. If you are not having problems with directional tenion, then you're probably fine. They are set at the factory with the folded business card - which is fine for most battings. With everyone using the super low-loft battings these days, it may need to be lowered to the single business card height. You'll know if you have it set too low - if your machine moves great when you're not quilting, but it's a little sluggish when you are quilting, it's a bit too low.

Hope that all makes sense....

Thank you, Amy. I use mostly Hobbs and QD battings. The reason I checked in the first place was that my machine was stitching fine, but when I would do a panto, then walk around to advance the quilt I would notice skipped areas :mad: I have had this problem before and after John Mitchell came to my home and re-timed it, things were fine. But I have hit a few rulers. And lately when I hit the ruler and then try to stitch...no stitches. So I had to check needle height and hopping foot height, both were too low.

Archived