Advice about pleat on quilt back

What would you do? I am quilting a king size quilt with a pieced backing. The backing is made up of 20 inch panels sewn together with a 5 inch border around it. I am using the CL swirls and am about 3/4 of the way done and saw the pleats on one of the panels when I was advancing the quilt. There is 1 pleat that goes most of the way across the panel and another smaller pleat on the same panel. It looks like this particular panel is fuller than the others. As I was pinning the backing to the zippers I noticed 2 open seams and repaired them. She didn't have the 2 fabric edges aligned properly and they pulled loose. I am wondering if this was the case with this panel giving it more fullness. I know I should take the stitches out and restitch that section, but I feel that the same thing will probably happen. I have been using the side clamps and used caution when advancing the quilt. I called the customer earlier today and explained what happened and we decided to leave it as it is. I have quilted about 40 quilts now and this is the first time this has happened to me. I've had a number of quilts with pieced backings also.

Susan

Hi Susan, I would do just what you did. having problems with one tuck on the back and very friendly borders.. I explained to the guild about the borders and they said to just leave them. I offered to take the quilt to anyone who wanted to frog it and I'd take the borders off and redo them to fit.. didn't have one taker... lol... no matter how much steam, how much starch, how much easing as I stitched, I still have tucks and pleats in the border.. sorta makes me sick as it's a raffle quilt for the two high schools..

They've seen enough of my work to know I don't quilt like that unless I just can't avoid it.

RitaR

You can not be responsible for the piecing inperfections of the customer, and it appears that this is just that. You did what you could, you called the customer told her what the problem was etc.... for you to take it off the machine at this point, frog it and then reload would be crazy especially since it is the fault of the customer's piecing. Plus you already helped this person out by redoing some of he seams before you loaded. You already went beyond the call of duty, don't sweat it. ;)

• 8 months later...

Archived