Machine Pricing

I've been looking at the machines for sale for some time. I can't figure out how these prices are set. Sometimes I'll see one that is a couple of years old that is a really good price and the next time the price is not much less than a new one. I'm interested in a 3-4 year old machine as it seems that a lot of people want to upgrade when the warranty is expired. Many times these 3-4 year old machines are priced a little less than the new ones. If the used ones are priced within $3-4,000 of a new one, it seems that it would be better to buy new & have a warranty. I'm just curious and trying to learn. I know that there is a lot I don't know. I realize that some machines come with many extras so you would expect the price to be more. It's odd that some of the ones with all of the extras are priced better than the ones that basically are being sold with what they originally came with. I've tried to figure out if there is some sort of math used when pricing these machines, such as a percentage of their original price but so far I haven't been able to see any pattern. I'm in Texas & hope that eventually there will be a Millie or a Gammill Classic for sale near me. In the meantime, I keep looking. Thanks for any light that you can shed on this.

I think that many times when someone has decided to sell their machine they will have a studio full of tools, toys, and thread that they may never use again. So they bundle all the goodies with the machine and you can get a really good deal on a CL or Hartley Fence included with in the deal. Sometimes the extras will be sold separately but then you deal with shipping all over the place.

These machines depreciate slowly. And they are so well made I would not be afraid to purchase a used machine. The prices for used machine from APQS seem to be reasonable and would be where I would look first. MQInnovations website also has used machines for sale. I sure someone else will chime in with other sites for used machines.

I think you have a good idea to find a machine close to you. Shipping costs are rising and will continue to do so, I guess.

Maybe someone can steer you to a machine.

Linda gave you some great advice. I will add more to her info:

1) Be patient. Jot down prices, take notes, get a feel for what is a "good deal" and what is an "ok deal" for example, I bought a Pfaff 2144 for embroidery on ebay for a little more than $1000. Retail new these sell for over $5000. The used models on ebay, I watched the trend and they were selling for about $1700 to $2500 depending on who's selling it and what extras come with it. I took time and pounced on the good deal because I spent months doing my homework, watching like a fox in the grass and looking and taking notes. I pounced when the pouncing was right. I was surprised to discover when I recieved my 2144 that it was brand spanking new. I think I'm the first owner. I love my new pfaff! PS: I also love my Millennium!! (I also have a Bernina....I spoil myself, don't I???LOL!) :D

More advice

2) Give a call to the APQS headquarters. They have some great deals on used machines right now and I think this month is a discount on the price, plus free shipping??? Double check on that... now, I would say that's a good deal!! You could also call a dealer in your area (Texas) to get even more info and 1x1 advice.

3) Continue to hang out with us here on the chat. Great info is shared here that is worth its weight in gold. This place is a treasure trove of information.

:) Happy hunting for your new (used) machine!

The used machines that APQS sells themselves are pretty much consistent in pricing each time they list the inventory.

The used machines that an individual posts here on the site in the classified forum wil vary depending on the reason why the person is selling the machine and how desperate they need to sell the machine. Sometimes the seller will say why they are selling some times no. If they are getting out of the business for good and they originally took out a loan to purchase the machine they may post it lower than others just so they can get out from under the debt of monthly payments on it. Others though may not have a specific reason they are selling and may hold out longer for a higher price because they think it should be worth more than someone is willing to spend.

So you see if you are looking at the classifieds there is no set formual or standard one puts as a value on their machines where as with the dealer itself it is more consistent.

My advice is what Shana gave and just keep hanging out on the site with the rest of us, learn a little, bond a little, and keep your eyes open for the perfect machine for you in your area. Eventually one will show up that you will think is the right price for you.

Good luck

I agree, if you're buying from an individual the price depends on how fast they need to sell it, how much they owe, toys included etc. The machine prices from APQS are consistant with the year, model. You can call your area rep or Heidi at APQS sales office to discuss machines offered by APQS. The used machines from APQS have been gone over with a "fine toothed comb" (given a complete maintenance check, to include replacing parts). They come with a 1 year factory warranty. Buy what you're comfortable with, if you can afford the extra 2-3 thousand, a new machine can't be beat. Please continue to ask the ladies and gents on this forum for help, everyone on here will give you the straight answers.

Only one thing to add to all this great advice...I contacted apqs to find a used George machine. They found me one (factory reconditioned with one year warranty) for 20% off the normal retail price. BUT...for the same 20% off retail, they also offered me a new one with three year warranty that had just come off the line scratched. They sent photos and the scratches were so minor, I couldn't see them on the photos and can barely see them in person. I'm sure this must happen periodically...let a rep know what you are looking for and be patient. Nancy

I bought a used machine. When you buy used, you have to know what you're doing to check the machine out (just like buying a used car) and expect to have a few things that need to be worked on. This machine had sat for 3 years in one place and one of the rollers is a little warped. I knew nothing when I looked it over - the machine ran, but that's all I knew to look for. But - my husband and I took the maintenance class and replaced what needed replacing, and now it works really well. You can buy a lot of parts for $5,000 (which is what I saved by buying used). These machines aren't all that complicated and the support staff is wonderful with troubleshooting and talking you through what needs to be done to fix something.

I would recommend getting a used machine from APQS - you know everything works, and the warranty can give you peace of mind.

Julia

Archived