Thinking about a Lenni - 4 questions 4U

1. About the stitch regulator...When the machine is turned on but not moving, does the needle move up and down or remain still until the machine is moved?

2. Other than price, what is the reason you chose a Lenni over any APQS machine or any other brand.

3. Are quilters buying the edgerider wheels because the Lenni does not move smoothly?

4. How much vibration does the Lenni have as compaired to other machines.:cool:

Okay, I've only briefly played on a Lenni, so I'm no expert. Here's my answers to your questions.

1. The stitch regulator. You'll turn it on, but the needle will not move until you move the machine. This means that if you bump the table, the needle will move up and down, but othewise should remain stationary.

2. The reason that I would choose a Lenni is primarily space. If I needed to, I can fold the table and put it away. However, if that is not an issue, I would probably try the different types of machines, and see which fit my body and my needs the best.

3. Don't have edgerider wheels, my Millenium is great with the wheels she arrived with.

4. I don't believe that you are going to feel much, if any vibration with the Lenni. Again, try out as many machines as you can. Do you have a dealer in your area? Or, if there is a quilt show coming up that might have machines for you to try, I'd attend. For example, in Portland in Sept. we'll be having a show that APQS and others will be attending. This is a great time to try out the diferent machines, practically side by side. Also, Innovations is in Tacoma in October. Check your area for what's around.

Beth

I LOVE my LENNI! I have had it for a few months and have successfully quilted 5 quilts. I would recommend this machine to anyone who asks.

1) The up and down thing does happen because of the movement in my hand. The machine needle stays still if my hands are not on the handle so I know the problem is me, not the machine. I do a lot of stitch in the ditch and fixed this 'issue' by simply clicking the stitch regulator off each time I stop to move the ruler. My thumb is there anyway. So this is really not an issue at all.

2) Space was one reason. I don't have that much room to spare. The weight of the machine was another. The ability to easily take it apart is a plus too. I feel I could move this machine quickly if I needed to. An added bonus was the amount of space under the table that is very useful for storage. I can store my fabric collection and not even notice it when I am quilting. I did need a stich regulator.

3) The wheels that came with the machine work just fine for me so I have not changed them out. It is Critical that the table is level.

4) I don't feel a vibration when I am using it. The only time I felt something odd was when I had thread in my wheels.

My answers.

1. The stitch regulator, when on, will not stitch unless there is movement in the table.. someone stomps past and the floor shakes or I bump a roller. I don't like to hear it trying to work when it's not wanted to work, so if I'm stoping more than about 5,6 seconds. I turn it off.

2. price was a big part of it, but I have a pretty small room.. I might, if I lose the Prednisone Blimp status, be able to squeeze by a 12 foot table, but we've already turned the closet into an alcove just to get this one in at 10 feet. Can't justify taking the potty out, which is on the other side of the wall, nor move the tub/shower.. darn!

2A customer Service, and reputation for lack of problems which are not user generated, the ease of using most threads and batts.

3.My penny moves just as smoothly as Í want.. can't see at this time, any need for the edge rider wheels. Understand though, Lenni has vertical wheels, I think all the other APQS machines have horizontal. Not positive though.

4. Compared to the old converted DM I had before, Lenni doesn't have vibrations if table is leveled out.

The folding table on Lenni is ok, though I didn't need that feature, and they didn't have the one piece table at that time.

The ONE BIG THING that would be a tremendous help to me is the fabric advance..

We'll be talking with a dealer, and a welder about what would be needed to make it fit, and costs to do so, aside from cost of the advance unit.

RitaR

For a little more money you can get a used Milli and in the end the Lenni will only leave you hungry for more throat space.I imagine that after you have Lenni for a time you would wish that you had more space. I seriously considered Lenni and even ordered one but then the used Milli's came up and the price was closer to Lenni. I am so glad I got a Milli. I love the power advance on the table. It is such a neat feature. Now I now I have the best of what is out there except for computer guided which I have no interest. Check it out on used Milli's I'm guessing with the economy going down that Milli's will come down some on the used one's too. I paid 13,500. I'm very happy with mine and it came with one year from APQS.

I love my Lenni too.

1. As everyone else said, the needle stops when you stop moving the machine. I usually power off when I adjust rulers and such because I am just learning and haven't got a system yet.

2. I chose the Lenni because of space, reputation, customer service, and this forum. It is a great resource.

3. My machine runs smoothly with the factory wheels. I did have to shave the plastic runners a bit. I had trouble with my first quilt because I started with a really thick batting so I had to adjust the hopping foot on that particular quilt. I also had a problem with the carriage not being perfectly level (a level table is very important) but APQS replaced it for me very quickly and now my machine is nice and smooth. I should note that the speed in which APQS acted to replace my carriage is a testament to the great customer service they provide.

4. I can only compare my Lenni with a machine I had on a NewJoy frame which vibrated alot. I have not noticed any vibrations on my Lenni.

JSS~ The other quilters made some great points. The Lenni is a great machine and perfect for a lot of quilters. But, other's like to upgrade to a bigger machine because they WANT the motorized feed and a larger throat space for more quilting area.

Any chance you can come visit us at the Hershey PA Quilt show next week? We'll be there from 23-27 July. Kelly D. (PA REP) and I will have a new Millie, Freedom SR and two Lenni's to test drive. You would have an opportunity to try each machine, how they feel to you and see the sizes all in one booth. We'll also have some awesome Quilt show specials!! My cell phone number is at the bottom if you want to give me a call. I'll do what I can to answer your questions.

Have a super night!

Lisa

Lisa, you are a love! I am in Hattiesburg, MS and that is a long way from Hershey! I would just love to be at the show, meet you and try your machines! I just had breast reduction surgery so I won't be traveling anytime soon. I joke that now I can get closer to the machine! Went from a hanging-out DD to a small C-; what a blessing! Any way you all will ever come south? We have a quilt show here in Oct. It is the largest in Mississippi with about 400 quilts hung. Check us out at

http://www.pinebeltquilters.com/quiltshow.htm If you could get several APQS machines down south I could drag my hubby along so he could also get the fever! Thanks again for your help. I will keep your name and number handy. Sylvia

I would agree with the bulk of what has been said.

I have a Lenni and am very happy with it. My choice was a space issue.

I also have edqerider wheels which for me have been absolutely wonderful. I did quite a bit of sanding on the rails and still felt there were areas where it 'caught' a little. Changing to the edgerider wheels made the machine run so smoothly. I wouldn't have believed the difference they could make. (I have no affiliation with edgerider). I don't know that Lenni owners are buying the wheels any more than any other model. In fact I may be the only Lenni owner with them, as I haven't read any other posts.

Good luck with your choice.

JSS

Love my Lenni

1 Everyone seems to have covered this one. You know you're in stitch regulator mode by the constant beep beep beep sound. This is a safety feature so that you won't accidentally move the machine and sew onto a ruler or much worse your finger! I often flick it off when I'm planning my next move so that I can ponder in silence.

2 Do I dare admit that price was the main consideration? Well yes! My advice is to buy what you can afford now and think long and hard before going into debt for the machine of your dreams. Believe me, no debts/no worries is a good state to be in.

The other factor which swayed me was this forum, it's moderators and members. There is only one APQS dealer in my country (and she's ten hours away). I very quickly saw that the forum would be an invaluable resource that I could tap into. Bouquet to APQS!

3 We all have different expectations of our machines. I think if this was my first machine, I'd be satisfied with how it handles and what I'm producing. As it's my second machine my expectations are much higher! Yes I'm hanging out for the edgeriders.

4 Very little vibration. My old shortarm practically used to jump off the table. The table is very sturdy and the Lenni very lightweight.

Happy shopping!

Judy

I've just had my Lennie for a couple of weeks. I've done one charity quilt for practice and one real one that we donated for a Rally for the Cure event. I'll post that one when I'm on my own machine (instead of airport one).

I love it. That's an unqualified comment. It fit my space available and my price point, so I can't be happier. :-) auto advance would be nice, but I really can't justify it since its strictly a hobby for me.

JSS~~~A woman after my own heart. Lucky you to have reduction. Im the same size as you were, would love to go in a reduce. But... Just dont know... lol I should do it next time DH deploys. ha !!

The quilt show looks/sounds DIVINE!! Any time APQS wants to send me to MS, I'd go. :) I like to say *I take quilt show requests!*.

Did you have any other questions about Lenni? Is there one near you, that you could go drive? All of my past clients are really great about letting me send someone to demo their machine. Southerners are lovely, I'm sure you'd have some offers! Hershey PA is fun though. :)

Keep us posted with your progress!

Have a super weekend.

Lisa

Lisa, sounds like your DH is in the Military. Mine is retired Army. Tricare Prime paid 100% of my reduction! No kidding! However, you will need someone with you for the first 4 days to help you up and stuff. It is well worth the trouble. Now I can button my clothes and even wear a smaller size! All those cute tops fit and I don't look llike a hooker wearing them! Us Southerners are a bit slower in speach but we usually have something good to say. Most of us live in real houses and wear shoes and have all our own teeth. Did you hear we were voted the fattest state in the union? That's because the food here is so good! They wanted to say it was fast food! NOT! It is Mamma's cookin' keeps us fat and happy. Come anytime, you can stay with me. We have 3 emply bedrooms on one end of the house that is there, apparently, just for looks. About the machines: I may drive down to Baton Rouge in the early fall to test drive. I know I will select a green Mille or a Lenni, I just don't know which yet. Everyone seems to love that Lenni!!!! Sylvia

Hi Sylvia.

I sent you an email response last night. I was letting you know that I am 4 hours from you and will have a Lenni here at the end of Sept/Early Oct. I will also have my Millie and Freedom SR. I plan to have an open house and demos of all the machines listed above. The 24th - 28th sept. I will be at the Jacksonville, FL Quiltfest with the machines and then will have all of them here the next week. You are more then welcome to come either to the show, or to my place for a test drive.

I wish I had known earlier about your quilt show in October. I would have loved to have taken the machines there and particitpated. I don't suppose there are any vendor spaces still available, are there??

Anyway, I answered some of your questions in my email to you and added a few things about the different machines. Let me know if you did not receive it and I will resend.

Have a great weekend.

Patty

Archived