Auto Sketch help please?

Rick

Hi Everyone,

I will start by introducing myself. I am Diana Spence. I had the CompuQuilter added to my Milleniun in Sept and have been having a great time learning the CQ and quilting.

I have figured out how to digitize a design as a motilf. I can digitize a leaf into a leaf wreath. But I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to do a repeatable pattern. I have read Stan and Dee's directions over and over and tried everything, but nothing works. I can trace a drawingand edit vertices but after that I am lost. If anyone can help me get thru a simple design once, I think I will understand how to do any design.

Thanks in advance,

Diana

My best advice is to contact our rep Tina Collins. Her info is on this site under find a dealer. She is an excellent instructor, is very patient and loves to share. If anyone can help you Tina can. (name removed) knows a lot about the Compu as well. Either of them are bound to post help for you here soon!

Help is on the way!

Cheryl

Hi Diana,

I think you are close!

Look up page #101 in your manual, paragraph 13.

You *must* align the start & end points exactly to the thousandths of an inch, using the "absolute (grid xy)".

Run through the exercise, & let me know if you have other questions. That should do it! ;)

Hi Diana,

I have found that the pattern should be drawn from left to right (same way the machine prefers to sew). For some unexplainable reason one of the repeatables I drew flipped itself over to draw right to left, and therefore didn't work as a repeatable.

When you go into the compuquilter conversion program, hit 'draw' and watch which way your line draws out. If it is the wrong way, go back to Autosketch .skf file, mirror it, resave it as a .skf file and .dxf file again and then go back and try to convert it to a compuquilter file.

The other responses are also correct, the start point must be on (0,0) and the end point must be on the y-axis 0 line.

Good luck, and I hope this helps

Cherie in Australia

Hi Diana

Cherie's advice is spot on, she's been playing a lot with Autosketch and is quilting up some lovely designs - I hope she'll post some pics here soon.

Dee Dee has written up new instructions and will be posting them to everyone shortly and they are very easy to understand. She has also written something on DXF to Compuquilter so that we can understand how it works.

In the meantime, if you try to make a repeatable pattern and get stuck, maybe you would like to email us all here and tell us how far you have got before you get stuck and we can help you from there.

Have fun

sue in Australia

Thanks eveyone for the suggestions. Cherie's note about sewing left to right may be my problem. My design is going right to left. I will work on it again this weekend and get back to you all. I can't express to you all how much I love having the CompuQuilter on my Mill. I am constantly digitizing motifs just to sew them out and see how they look. It's just time to move on and learn the next step.

Thanks again,

Diana

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Cherie Walters

Hi Diana,

I have found that the pattern should be drawn from left to right (same way the machine prefers to sew). For some unexplainable reason one of the repeatables I drew flipped itself over to draw right to left, and therefore didn't work as a repeatable.

When you go into the compuquilter conversion program, hit 'draw' and watch which way your line draws out. If it is the wrong way, go back to Autosketch .skf file, mirror it, resave it as a .skf file and .dxf file again and then go back and try to convert it to a compuquilter file.

The other responses are also correct, the start point must be on (0,0) and the end point must be on the y-axis 0 line.

Good luck, and I hope this helps

Cherie in Australia

Another way to fix this, is to highlight the section that is backwards in Autosketch, right click, and "flip" it and resave. When you go to the conversion program, it should draw out the correct way. I always draw the pattern out before I save it in the conversion program to make sure it will stitch the way I want it to. Because I "lift" one section of one pattern to put in a new pattern, I have to flip quite often. I can't tell until I take it to the conversion program.

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for sending me this info. Most of my problem with AutoSketch is that I don't know anything about it and it just takes so much time to figure out how to do something. I haven't had any time to fiddle with the program since I posted the original question. When I get a chance, I will try your recomendation. I am going to MQS in the spring and I really hope someone will be teaching a class in AutoSketch.

Thanks again,

Diana

Sandy,

I am in Waterloo, Iowa...too far for a quick lesson. I have really figured out a lot about AutoSketch. I just need more time to work with it. I bet if I spent just an hour with someone, I would know what I needed. If I get near you this winter, I just may give you a call.

I love Austin. My daughter did a summer intern there while in college. I was in Texas 5 times that year for one reason or another. In fact I drove from south Texas north in the spring when all the blue bonnets and another orange flower were in bloom. It was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever taken. Texas is an awesome state!

Thanks for the help.

Diana

Hey Diana... I live in Altoona, Iowa... Just down the highway from you....(a few miles) I work for UPS and do audits for the company. The next time I am in the Cedar Falls area I would love to stop by and see your Compu-Qilter. I don't know much about the next computer.

Hope all goes well for you.. >Good luck.

Barb Wetzel

Altoona, Ia.

Archived