Where do you put cut threads?

I think the magnet is okay at the front of the machine...the computer stuff is toward the back.

How about putting a piece of scrap batting in the pocket of your apron....then the thread will stay put.

You all are so smart. I put on the apron and still toss the thread...then try to find it to stick it in the pocket. If I am really into quilting, I forget to put the apron on.

Thank you everyone! I just let the threads fall on the floor, I too have a large garbage pail behind me, but trying to hit it is near inpossible, especially when you are really involved in the quilt. My wife comes down every so often into the studio to check the laundry (or me) and starts picking up the threads off the floor, I explain to her that I try to hit the pail but, it is easier to throw them on the floor. Garbage day is Tuesday and it is just as easy to pick the thread off the floor (also with a toilet bowl brush attached to a long broom handle) I have now convinced my wife that I AM NORMAL, and that everyone does the same. Thankyou thankyou thankyou! P.S. I have found a new use for all the threads. I recently bought a felting machine and I use the bundles of thread to felt into cloth. It makes beautiful color combos and great textural designs. So now the threads are saved (after they have been on the floor for a week of course!

I drop mine on the floor. I used to have thread get wrapped around my cams/wheels. What a PITA to remove and it only takes a little bit of thread around a cam to turn circles into squares in your quilting.

I use a nylon bristle flat broom to pick up the thread and then pull it off (in great globs) and put it in wastebasket. I stopped using my vacuum untiil after the thread is picked up. The thread wrapped around my vacuum brushes and made them useless.

I'm not so creative as many of you. I have trash cans on each end of the frame and more scattered throughout the studio. When I'm not close enough to a trash can, I put the threads in an apron pocket and empty it out when I shut down for the evening.

Well girls seems Tony wanted me to paint my bowl I've attached to the machine and sell it(the bowl) but I just have to many irons in the fire. But if you would like to see where it is go to my webshots listed and look under the album of My Sewing room and CQ...there you will see I took the second thread holder from the back of my A-1 and attached it opposite the key ring and scissor holder I have and found a bowl to my liking and drill a hole to slide over the spindle. When it gets full I just lift it off and empty it...no need for thow away coffee filters or anything...spend the time to dig up one of those bowls that has no lid and wah lah...

Works for me. :cool:

Webshot photo can be found at: http://community.webshots.com/user/qfairy

To find the album.

I have a small container on the right side of my table (the blue "bucket" from Keepsake Quilting catalog.) I move it near the right edge of the quilt. And I have my trash can beside my cutting table, on the left end of the table. Whichever is the closest gets the threads as I snip them.

Sometimes if I'm working on a small wallhanging, or crib quilt, I'll set a small scrap of batting on the table, off to one side and pile the snipped threads there.

I like the bucket a lot though, I even keep one by my bedside for when I'm doing hand stiching upstairs at night.

I still prefer my apron - says "Longarmed and Dangerous" on the front, nippers are in the right-hand pocket, thread tails go into the left-hand pocket, and my (blunt-end) scissors are clipped on a retractor on the right-hand top of the bib. I also have a flat-head pin stuck in the top of the bib, for teasing out those pesky broken threads. Doesn't matter whether I'm at the front or back of the machine, I have everything I need on me. And I have a hook in the wall at the top and the bottom of the stairs to my studio, where the apron lives, so I don't wind up wearing it to the grocery store!:P

My trainer, Tina Collins, left me with such a valuable hint that I have encorporated it to my sewing machines also: We cut a strip of packaging tape about 10 - 12 inches long and wrap it around the handle on the left, sticky-side out. Since I cut with my right hand and hold the threads with my left, it's a simple motion to swoop the threads to the sticky tape. When the tape becomes "full," simply cut it off and put on a fresh one.

As an afterthought, may I add: many folks pile their "accessories" onto the top of the machine head, onto jerry-rigged additions on the machine, or elsewhere... I made myself a work apron, similar to a waitress' apron, but with layers of pockets, slots, and, of course, a large pocket for my Walkman. When I get a new 4-H sewer in, I make her a smaller version of this apron to keep her scissors, tape measure, marking pencils, etc in, hoping to eliminate the "lost-scissors syndrome" at home. When I see this youngster strap on her apron, I know we can settle down to business and get some real sewing done! What a joy these little ones are! :P

My room may be smaller than most of your studios, but I like having my big board ironing board a couple feet behind me (when I'm working from the front of the machine). It's very handy to have my rulers, bobbins, and threads right behind me. When I'm done for the day, I can put my tools away and it's easy to just wipe up all the threads up in my hand and toss them in the trash.

I must admit my threads go everywhere. I use the Tina Collins tape method, I have a trash can at the end of my machine, I have a table on one side of the machine, a design wall on the other, and still throw some on the floor or use the lint roller if I see too many on a quilt. However, even with all those methods, I've decided to make a ball out of the threads just to see how big it would get. I still use all of the above when I don't think about it, but when I do I crunch them on the ball. In two weeks it was almost 3 inches and growing.

:cool::cool:

Cathy

I am with Barb M - left apron pocket. I also have my little tiny bobbin tension screwdriver, air erasable pen and chalk wheel on me at all times..... same apron too!! My former boss gave it to me - love it! But I will need a new one soon - for some reason the belly area is getting worn a bit....;););):D

I put mine on the sides of the quilt top until I roll. Then I pick them up and place them in a little basket. I have been saving them to put between the wash away stabilizer to make some pretty fabric to make a scarf, use for filler on a vest, decoration or something. I thought everyone saved them for these purposes. .... I have saved them so long now I don't think I could throw them away. I have zip locks full of them. Well guess I better make some fabric with them. Am I really the only one doing this????

I think I'll stick with the apron pocket. I have about a 4 by 4" patch of batting in it to start things off.. at the end of the day I clean it off and I'm good to go the next day. The batting, like Bonnies nose tissue holds the first few threads.. I don't push them deep, they just end up there by themselves..

I get enough on the floor from shaking the piecing as I go and once a month himself has to clean my chair and stool wheels. lol...

RitaR

I'm with Barb M too. Except that my apron is a half apron (not so bulky) with 3 pockets. I'm left handed so my scissors are retractable from my left pocket, seam ripper, tweezers and phone in my middle pocket, and thread tails in the right pocket. I'm in such a habit with the thread tails that it is a must to put on my apron.

I got suckered into the schpeel (sp) at Kmart, and my neighbor at Sears, my sister in law at WalMart. It is a lint roller that is sticky when dry and cleans up with warm water. With a life time guarantee, no peeling of paper. BUT WAIT, there's more, (you knew that was coming):D:D if you bought it right then and not a minute later you got the mini Mr. Sticky and the Huge Mr. Sticky.

So I had to do it, pressure and all. When I got home my son ran around my sewing room with carpet and unloaded Mr. Sticky 3 times. I am a flinger! Wow, it washed off and it was good to go. It picked up threads, lint, dog hair leaving nothing! I hate to say it, but the guy was correct it is pretty amazing.

If you see it, pick it up, probably online!:cool:

Brendalee

I take a piece of batting, cut a small hole in it and put it on the spool holder on the top of the machine. It is then in a very convenient place for depositing threads and it holds on to them very well.

I also hang a blunt point embroidery scissors on that holder for cutting threads. I tend to be somewhat of a clutz at times and am more comfortable with the blunt point so I don't have to worry about poking a hole in the quilt should I drop them.

I LOVE MY MR. STICKY!!!!

Got it at a trade show about 4 years ago and it's still going strong!!! Before that I just kept burning out vac.s If you ever see a Mr. Sticky at a trade show.... BUY IT!!! Then just through those threads over your left shoulder for good luck and keep on quilting!!:D

Archived