Millie vs Classic

unfortunately, I do not have a APQS machine, but I am so glad you made the decision to go with the Millie. I have really done my research over the last year, should have done it before buying the machine I have, and I sure would love to have a Millie. Maybe the Longarmed angels will look my way and someday I can have one. Meanwhile, I just love reading this forum and dreaming about one. Congrats on your purchase.

Saundra

Congratulations on your purchase! Welcome to the wonderful world of longarm quilting. AND this beautiful forum to proclaim to the world how much we love what we do.

I feel compelled to say that my Gammill is right for me. Given that I live 15 minutes from Boersma's, one of the biggest dealers on the West Coast, which is the main reason I bought this one, I couldn't see myself traveling any further to "shop" for a machine.

When I hear a negative statement about Gammill or a Gammill dealer, I cringe. I compare what is said with my experience and I have never agreed with anything I've heard. My machine is not noisey, it doesn't vibrate to the point I need rice bags or foam, the table system is solid and "easy" to load. I could go on but my point is that those of you who experience these problems need to voice those opinions to Gammill. Maybe I'm spoiled because I'm so close to my dealer and service, but I've never in almost five years had any problems that caused any downtime. I've had it serviced twice, and once was for an upgrade on the wheels and cable system. Since I had that done, it feels even sweeter when I do freemo. I oil and clean, and make adjustments on my own--something that EVERYONE should do no matter what machine you have.

I hope that you have great success with your Millie. I agree that APQS is a great institution and AMERICAN and the people are super to help and encourage. That's why I'm stuck on this forum so much. I love people who are encouraging.

Those of you who have problems with your Gammill, call Gammill and VOICE those concerns. It's all about product improvement and demand. If they don't know there's a problem, how can they make it better? If you happen to get a creepy sales rep, then by all means call Gammill and address that issue. That even creeps me out.

Well said, Bonnie. Actually when I hear about people having problems with their machines (no matter what brand they have, even APQS) I am going to venture to bet that more often human error not machine error. What I mean by that is, most times the problem is not the machine itself, rather it's how it's maintained, or that it's not set up to its best advantage... level and straight.Or it needs some adjustments to the table or the carriage wheels, or the bobbin assembly needs a good going through with some heavy duty cleaning down below. Sometimes maybe need to tweak their tension a bit looser on top & bottom. Bob Purcell said most thread problems are caused by running your tension too tight on top & bottom. Another idea...maybe the table isn't totally level (which reminds me...I need to check /adjust my table as it seems a little tight in a spot when I was doing pantos the other day). I've gotten religious about keeping my bobbin & thread cutter areas super clean and I have noticed a great improvement with operations and I don't get the thread breaks any more, either. Well, I'm just guessing here about problems with machines and cause, but that's what I'm guessing.

I met Jack Boresma last fall; he came up here to do maintenance on the Gammill longarms in my area; he's a real nice guy. Lives in McMinville. My bro-in law grew up in that town.

Bonnie, I have a Nolting and I cringe, too, when people say negative things about it. I visit this site all the time because of all the great advice and the organization of the website. Lots of wonderful quilters here:) My theory is every quilting machine does the same thing-quilt. What one person may like about one machine or table, another may not. It's all a matter of preference and what works for the individual. I think it's great that there are so many choices out there in quilting machines:cool:

It is an exciting time :) We don't mind that you posted twice.

I don't mean to offend anyone, or disrepect anyone over the choice of their machines. We all love what we use. Maybe the Gammill I used in the class was not set up properly. The student using the machine felt the vibration too, it was way to obvious. I know that when they are getting ready for a show like MQS and probably the others, there is not a lot of time to get things set up properly, however, in many of the classess there were people who were there to buy machines for the first time. If the machine sales people want to sell, sell, sell....they should take the time or get the man power to set the up properly. Just a word to the sales people out there :)

• 3 weeks later...

if cost is the main factor i would suggest to looking at the factory certified used machines, as a dealer i always recomend them to customers who visit my shop looking to buy a APQS machine. here is the benifits

all machines are factory certified

comes with all the things a new machine comes with

comes with a one year factory bumper to bumper warranty

comes with a brand new table any size 10' 12' 14'

in most cases they are show machines with little use

i have seen these go for 12,500.00

i have seen little difference between the used machines and new ones and all my customers are very pleased.

hope this helps

deloa

www.deloasquiltshop.com

I must be really dense. I hadn't really thought about a longarm seriously until one quilt show when I talked with Karen McTavish. Never drove another machine, just listened to her and bought it that day...it also pays to have a friend egging me on...."you'll do so well!"

Have not regretted the decision. We even have a friend who sells Nolting...they would die if they knew I bought APQS.

Linda,

You are going to love your milli. I call mine JJ. I have had her a year now. I test drove the machines at Nashville last year. Something didn't feel right with the Gammill so I headed back down the aisle and purchased the milli. It didn't hurt that Myrna was showing me the machine either. I have been very happy with my choice. However, when purchasing a machine it needs to be what feels right to you. Everyone has their own idea of what is best.

Let us know how much fun you are having.

Pamela

Archived