Trapunto

JanicePearce

Ladies,

I would appreciate your help in understanding the loading of a large quilt that has had it's top layer stitched with wash-away thread and batting already trimmed around motifs to be tranpuntoed.

Do I first stitch around the motifs over the wash-away with bottom line thread on the entire quilt or quilt as I go (the motifs first and then the quilting around them)?

If I quilt around all the motifs first how do I load the top and bottom so that i can roll the quilt up to the top again to do the background quilting .... would not the top and bottom have to be loaded together on one roller?

I know that this question is clear as mud?!:o

Thanks

Originally posted by JanicePearce

If I quilt around all the motifs first how do I load the top and bottom so that i can roll the quilt up to the top again to do the background quilting .... would not the top and bottom have to be loaded together on one roller?

I know that this question is clear as mud?!:o

Thanks

You were very clear with your question. This is what I do: I load my top and bottom layers as I normally do (pinning to the applicable rollers). As I quilt from top to bottom (quilting around the trapunto motifs), I eventually get to the bottom of the quilt with both layers pinned to their rollers. This is when I un-pin the top layer of the quilt from the leader and baste stitch it to the bottom layer of the quilt. At this time, my top roller is no longer used; the entire quilt is attached to the bottom roller only. I can roll back and forth as often as I want to to do my quilting in the blocks.

Clear as mud?? :D

OK I just want to add one more thing about this: As you start quilting top to bottom (before you reach the bottom and stitch to the backer fabric) Be sure to go along and pin baste your quilt top in 5-10 inch intervals throughout the quilt top to stabilize it, including the borders. This will help prevent any sags or pleats in your backer as it stretches around the take up roller. If you pin baste really good top to bottom you can roll back and forth without any fear of the dreaded pleat & sag dilemna. Just remember to take the pins out in the area you plan to quilt; leave the other pins in until you are ready to quilt that area. I usually quilt my borders last, so my pins live in the border (pin points pointing DOWN) until the very end when I quilt the borders.

Hey, I'm just passing on the same advice I also recieved from this chat board when I was doing this for the first time! :)

I started sticking the pin points DOWN after several 'snags' I received from jabs in my finger tips! Ouchie ouch! Talk about painful and lots of bleeding! :( Those pins have no mercy. That's why i also keep a box of bandaids handy nearby (in my tool box next to the screw drivers)

HA!!! Now I've found someone as focused as me (that's what I call it) .... my husband calls me "sparky" and you can imagine what dumb thing I did with an electical wire and a florescent tube ... Hey, maybe I'm a bit "untechnical" but he's not the most esthetically creative individual I've ever met!!!:P

Jan

Esthetically creative individual... I love it! :D:D:D;)

Aren't there some pins that Dawn recommended that bend and snap back, so you can rool them around the bars and they don't mess up the quilt? (or am I way off because that thread was soooo long ago?) Hello, Dawn?

Originally posted by quiltingmidwife

Shana

When I have accidently left pins in the quilt and rolled it, the pins bend and contort the fabric and I worry might tear the quilt. How do you overcome this?

I pin horizontally so the pins don't bend against the rollers. I 'haven't had problems with distortion or tearing. I use the flat flowerheads and also the corsage pins.

I'm with Shana on all the above! I always do the SID work first and then the trapunto and finally the filling in. If it isn't too heavily quilted in the background I'll do all the quilting and then roll but if the background fill is really intense then I do all the SID, then trapunto, pin, roll and go to the bottom. Then work my way back up and fill it all in. Can't wait to see the pictures.

I use the flowerhead pins too. I bought mine at Hancock Fabrics when they had their notions 50% off. Like Debbi said, they do roll up and are very flexible. Also, if they do bend, you can straighten them right out and keep using them. After a while they start looking wonky, then I pitch it and go on...but I have had mine for 4 years and just recently bought a couple of more packs to add to the bunch.

Yup I'm also a fan of the flowerhead pins, just be careful and get the right ones. The blue/purple ones are too thin and you can't easily put them in. The heavier ones work great and they do go back into shape very easily. They are sharp though so be careful not to catch yourself on them...ask me how I know! :mad:

I don't get much pin sticks now as I have learned the hard way to always go left to right or right to left with my pinning. That way if I accidently leave a pin in, it will not bend or budge out in the quilt. Of course, I have hat pins. They are great notion item, a must to have.

Archived