batting for baby quilts

I have noticed that there is a flame retardant batting on the market which seems great for baby quilts. It is 45 x 60. Unfortunately I have made a couple of baby quilts that are just a bit too big for this batting. I would like to know what batting you use for baby quilts - cotton vs poly, blend, weight? Why do you like the batting you use for baby quilts.

Thanks,

Meg:cool:

I don't get many baby quilt in...however, the last customer that called regarding a baby quilt insisted on 100% cotton. I think her concerns had to do with wanting anything that touched the baby to be pure. I'd like to be there when that baby starts putting everything but the kitchen sink in it's mouth :D

Thanks everyone. I went with the Angel Dream. Since I am not in business and do not have a bus. license I was not able to use the Quilter's Dream site and had problems finding the Angel Dream on line in anything other than crib size. Finally found it at The Virginia Quilter.

Meg

The Dream Angel is a great choice. Other than that one the Warm and White or the Quilter's Deam Cotton are also a good choices.

I would not want to use polyester on a child's quilt. In case of fire, the poly melts into their skin like plastic -- terrible aftermath. Whereas the cotton, wool, or any natural fiber will just turn to ash.

Georgene,

I had the same thoughts - don't mind poly when the kids get older, but not the little ones. I was just so pleased to learn about the flame retardant batting but did have a heck of a time finding the larger sizes without having a bus. lic. I think all cotton would be my second choice.

thanks,

Meg

The other issue with poly is breathability. Lots of little ones wrap even their faces in their quilts. I always recommend cotton. or the Dream Angel. That doesn't mean people always accept my advice. I believe that the St. Jude quilt contest that Hancock Fabrics has stipulates only cotton. jeri

Archived