micro stippling

Carathren

Hi Carathren,

I use my expanded base and micro-drive handles when I do micro-stippling. I turn up the stitch length to 12. I use my stitch regulator though many other quilters do not; I think that you get more density without the SR but I don't like having to reach up to hit the stop button while it is still stitching.

I rest my the sides of my hands lightly on the quilt where the expanded base will hold the quilt and my hands. The micro drive ball handles allow me to use small motor skills (vice arm muscles when you are doing regular quilting) and I keep the area that I am microstippling up close so I can see it. I also use a thinner thread like Bottom Line or So Fine.

Micro stippling does not need to just be miniture stipple. It can be any fill stitch done miniture. If you go to the home page and quilt gallery you will see a piece I did with many different styles of micro stippling. I LOVE micro stippling. The micro drive handles are a must. Then I turn up my stitch length to 15 and use very fine thread. Lately I have been using YLI 100 weight silk. Also use a fine thread in the bottom.

Have fun!!

Raquel Birch

APQS Sales Representative

California

thanks for the input. I too use my micro handles; at times they help depending on the stitch; like you wrote; it can be other patterns besides just a stipple. I found it easier not to use the SR; I could get smoother lines. I've been using Bottom Line too! I wondered though about the density of the micro....does it 'matter' ? Is it just personal preference?

Raquel, I just sent a U2U inquiring about your suggestions on running the YLI 100 wt. silk thread. I tried it and the bobbin worked really well, but the top only ran for a few inches then broke below the throat plate, and I suspected it might be the hook so had fine metal sandpaper and that didn't seem to improve performance. Changed the needles three times, checked tension which seemed to move nicely, slightly moved the needle to the right a hair, and overall couldn't get it to run in the top without breaking. Perhaps you have some trick to doing this and would like to share with us. Thanks.

Vicki

Archived