Continuous Curves

Grace

Is there a trick or template you girls use to make perfect CC?Mine look like a child did them. Fortunately, the quilt I am working on is blocks colored with crayons my grandchildren made. The are being assembled into a 20th anniversary quilt for my son and his wife. My CCs look OK, but definitely not smooth and uniform like you girls. What is your secret?

Hi gracious. I don't know if there is a ruler for CC but you could porbably use any circle of the correct size. My secret for CC is to look at where I am going, not where I am or where I came from. I hit start and begin moving toward the corner. Then I put my eye on the corner and my hands will follow.

It reminds me a bit of Little League pitcher's practice. "See the ball all the way into the catchers mitt".

It works for me.

Then position it so that your foot is in the right spot...you might want to practice. I had a hard time, my brain doesn't seem to work like everyone else here :) The curve of the circle or whatever you use donesn't have to be inside the area you want to quilt...think about the fact that you have a 1/4" foot. I know this sounds elementary - even as I say it to myself, but I couldn't get my line stitched in the right place when I first tried this. Now that I have it in my brain, I get it.

Here's a hint--

So, find a size circle template you think will work.

Needle down in the corner, push the template up against the hopping foot and position it so the template is about a quarter inch away from the corner you are aiming for.

Needle up and move the machine to the next corner to see if you have the template in the right place to stitch from corner to corner. Move the head away, leaving the template in place.

Take a piece of painter's tape or that see-through colored vinyl that you mark templates with and carefully place the tape edge on the template following the seam line. Flip the template over and when you line up the seam line with the tape you should be good to go for stitching from corner to corner (in all the like-sized squares, of course.)

This has helped me especially with really large CCs. After you get a handle on spacing and more practice you will be able to do the smaller squares more easily!

I am fixing your room as we speak!!! I work mornings so you can play on the Milli until noon. Then we will have lunch, take a little nap, and stitch some more. We will post all of your beautiful creations here! Bring your wonderful DH to play with Dennis!

Thank you for all your comments. I guess I was feeling pretty much like a failure to not be able to do such a 'simple' thing. At least, I always thought it was 'simple' by the great ways you girls use the CCs. I will contine to try the circles but the apple core ruler may be worth looking into.

Thanks again.

Hi, I too have the apple core template, but himself also made me about 5 or 6 melons and I don't have to constantly try to figure out where I had the ruler.. of course the tape tip would have taken care of that.. lol... and Linda.. dang it.. I'm a Washingtonian.. so where is my room, out with the pooch???? loll kidding!

RitaR

CC is a challenge for me as well. I like doing Terry Twists instead, where you do a big hump then taper off (think more like a ski slope). Because it's off center, your eye isn't bothered that it's not perfectly symmetrical, because it's not supposed to be. However, the CC should be symmetrical, so it's obvious when it isn't.

Good luck!

Julia

We pray it will be next summer, Linda R. he and 3 GI buddies from 1950'3 are meeting up in CA., then up to OR to catch Dungeness Crab at Newport, then up to WA to visit friends and kin before heading east again. Sigh.. wish I were there.. all the time..

Thanks for the offer, Hugs..

RitaR

Grace, please don't feel bad. I can't do CC either or Terry Twists and I have the ruler for that. They still get all kittywompis. I am going to bite the bullet and get the apple core. I have wanted it since Nancy Jo's ever so long ago now. I keep trying to not spend money. HA HA.

Archived