Sidewinder bobbin winder

Which bobbin winder keeps dropping the plastic thing??

I only have the Lenni, and did NOT like the Side winder, in fact would sell it, if any one wants to buy for half price and pay shipping.. I got the turbo winder I was told I'd get and love it. It's not built in, though.

RitaR

the turbo winder is very expensive. If you have a bobbin winder that works on your Millie, try using a rubber band on the post. I think Linda Rech is the one that suggested that, and it works. Don't just dish out money when you don't need to...if your bobbin winder goes kapoot (sp?), then look at all the options out there. Personally, I think the turbo winder is way over priced. Okay, let's hear it. I know all you dealers and reps out there are going to blast me, but sorry, it is way too expensive.

You are right it is over priced, but on my millie, the winder had to be watched, while it filled. It would over fill, or under fill. Tried to adjust it and broke the plastic under the screw.

The turbo winder I can walk away from it.

I also have the side winder, and hate it. I have to use short spools of thread, and it still jumps around, and doesn't fill all the way full.

Once I get more bobbins for my DSM, I'm going to see if the turbo winder can fill them.

Ann

I don't mean to blast the APQS pricing on this item. It may be well worth the money. From my stand point, when I look at the money going out in supplies vs the money coming in on quilting jobs, I find that I am doing this job as a hobby instead of it being employment of a job I love to do....then it becomes very much a dreadful job, instead of a joy to do.

There are other bobbin winders out there, you just have to look for them, and I think they are priced around $70 -$80. Now, they may not be jet propelled - turbo - or whatever...but they are more affordable.

The onboard bobbin winder on my Gammill is useless. The machine has to be running in order to wind bobbins. But the winder sucks power so who would quilt when you the power fluctuates?

I bought and love the stand-alone bobbin winder for $79. It has a foot peddle very much like a sewing machine peddle. That also means that you cannot walk away from it. But the bobbins have a consistently smooth wind. How much is the APQS turbo bobbin winder, anyway.

I used to buy/use lots of prewounds but I have converted over to the wind-your-own bobbins. I also have the side-winder bobbins winder. It will wind my Gammill bobbins but only about half full. Huh? I sometimes use it to wind my Juki bobbins and does OK. But the Juki has it's own bobbin winder so that is what I normally use.

The turbo winder was about $95, then shot up overnight to $325.00....Gammill has a bobbin winder, probably the one you are talking about, for $70 or $80. I didn't know if anyone had one, or if they did, how well they worked. I don't mind to stand there while my bobbin is winding for that price.

I use my DSM to wind, but I really don't like doing that as it adds wear and tear. I also broke the plastic around the screw, but it does still work. I was looking into a way of taking that whole unit out and try mounting it on a stand alone. Of course my brother gave me a reason why I couldn't but I can't remember what he said...something to do with current. Anyway, I like the K-Kraft bobbin winder, thanks Barb for sharing.

I think that the sidewinder will drive you crazy too! I got one with my Lenni - have found that my Bernina DSM winds a much better bobbin, so am using that.

I too had a standalone bobbin winder with my Gammill - considered keeping it when I sold the machine... In the end I felt it was pretty mean to sell a machine without a bobbin winder... On reflection, I should have been a bit meaner!:)

Judy

When I took the maintenance class in April Amy mentioned that the price of the turbo winder had gone up. I think everyone's jaw dropped when she told us how much. I am glad that JJ came with the turbo winder, I don't think that I could have afforded the new price. I don't mind winding my own bobbins. I just do a whole bunch at one time before I start a quilt. That way I don't have to keep a stock of various prewound bobbins around.

Pamela

Well I am really shocked to find out that the Turbo Bobbin Winder has gone up in price so much......GOOD GRIEF!!!

I paid $125......and now it's $325......I know prices are always going up BUT.....that is way way way out of line!!!

I have a '02 Millennium, have never used the bobbin winder on this machine because I loved the prewounds from Superior so much.

So, I guess I'll just "covet" my TBW...:cool::cool::cool:

Originally posted by sewbobby

I love my K-Kraft bobbin winder there www site is: www.fancyquilt.com It is the quietest bobbin winder I have ever had, reasonably priced, does a great job and it has a good clean look.

Barb

My bobbin winder looks very much like this one, but its 11 years old (Doesn't have a on and off switch though)...AND I got it free from APQS...or it was thrown in with the deal....wow, $325.00 not sure if I had to pay for one today, I wouldn't just use the ones on my DSM.....love my winder, don't get me wrong, and I would be totally lost without it, but you can build one for about 1/3 of the price.....from scratch.

Hi

First,my Millie is on it's way Wahooo!!!!

Should be here next Monday.

Bobbins, What about the the one they advertize on the quilting supplies page, it's only $45.00. Does anyone know what that one is like?

I heed help naming my new Millie when it gets here, anyone have a suggestion?

I was interested in Linda Card's comment about the Gammill bobbin winder not working. I tried to use it at the very beginning without much luck. It didn't work in SR mode; it only seemed run when I was on non regulated stitch, which is practically never at this point in my "career." I decided that I probably just needed to do a little more study and that until I got to that point, using my stand alone was quicker than studying!

My stand alone works fine most of the time, but occasionally goes crazy and winds up a bobbin that cannot be unwound and the thread has to be cut off. Then the next time the bobbin is perfect, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm mostly happy with it, but I'm wondering if it is adjustable to fill the bobbin with more thread because it stops about 75% full and my DSM will sew when the bobbin is 100% full.

One of the many things I have learned is that I have to test the tension every time I change bobbins AND every time I change upper threads. Is that just me, just my machine, or is that how it is?

Archived