Help Stablizing Quilt

eswindy

New Problem never had before, I basted the top over the batting and backing on the top, I attached side clamps and basted the sides.. now when I took off the side clamps its not flat on the sides... What am I doing wrong? Is the top not on straight? asking myself. My brain recorder can't rewind to find what I did before. I frogged it all out and waiting for your advice.

Thanks ahead

I guess there isn't a right or wrong way...just what works for you....

ME....I tighten the rollers, and give the batting a hefty tug...then clamp both the backer and the batting....then baste, with a slight tug on the top as I baste. After I quilt I release...have never had problems with it sucking back in...so this works for me.;)

Originally posted by eswindy

.. now when I took off the side clamps its not flat on the sides... What am I doing wrong?

Could it be that you are tightening your quilt sandwich too much? Your clamps should not be too tight (little to no tension) and your rollers (leaders) should not be so tight that the sandwich is taught. It should be like a little hammock on the frame (slightly sags)

PS: When I stitch down the sides, I don't have any tension on the batting or the top; I only clamp to the backer fabric.

Archived