Fuse Question

Mary Beth

I have something strange going on...I have a call into APQS, just waiting for a call back.

I was quilting away and was just finished with the top border. I hit the thread cutter button and there was a terrible grinding sound...and then nothing. I have lights on top; my light on my light bar is still on....but nothing works.

I had a similar experience the other day - funny grinding and needle stayed down and thread cutter wouldn't budge. Used the fly wheel and once everything was free - all went back to normal. Moving the fly wheel by hand did release the thread cutter. I call those funny little glitches "sun spots". Can't figure out what else to blame them on and I hate to think it might be my fault....LOL:P

Mary Beth,

Pull your machine off of the quilt and check to see if the thread cutter arm is stuck under the plexiglass plate that covers the thread cutter. That would be the noise you hear as there is a slip clutch to keep the motor from burning up. And you will have lights, but no functions as the machine thinks that the cutter is working so you can't start up the machine to make the needle go. You can reach under in front of the cutter and actually move that linkage arm by hand to move the cutter arm if it is stuck. Let us know how you come out!

Later,

HI all. Please make sure you're oiling your bobbin area. WD 40 baths are good for the bobbin area too, but then you need to re-oil. We also have to clean out where the thread cutter is rotating against the little razor blades. I'll take a strong thread and gently *floss* the area to remove all the lint.

PLEASE do not totally remove your plates. Loosen the far away screw and just gently rotate the plate around. You can do this with the clear plastic plate over the bobbin cutter blades too. You don't want to put the plates on backwards or upside down. OUCH.

All of this is in the manual.

Lisa

Lisa,

I have taken my plates completely off to give the machine a thorough cleaning, before. I understand that these blades are very sharp and we need to be very careful.

Mark,

What you have described is exactly what is going on. It is still not working and I have just called APQS back to have someone call and try to help me over the phone.

Thanks everyone. Why does this happen when you in the home stretch on a big quilt you really want to finish?

The fly wheel moves. The blade is back in place - I think. I can move the needle up and down with the fly wheel, then when I plug the machine in the needle goes either up or down depending on where it is (because I have moved the FW by hand). So I try the buttons - I get nothing. The channel locks work, but that's it.

Archived