table height

What is the 'normal' height for the long arm table and where should the handles be in say, relation to your waist? My table is so high that it puts my shoulders in a hard position. My set up is older, the table wooden. You know the saying, it was cut off 3x and is still to short. Help appreciated...Linda

Originally posted by imnrn

My set up is older, the table wooden.

There really isn't anyway to adjust the wooden tables (I have one also), unless you have an account with some place like Granger or McMaster Carr, and can get the adjustable feet that go inside the tubes of the table then you can screw adjust the legs to fit you.

You didn't say how tall you are, so are you needing it to be shorter or taller for you....

I am 5'6" and I have the belly bar as Mary Beth said about bellybutton high....or in my case (since I'm way shorter than MB.. mine actually is set about 3 inches about that)...its high enough that I don't have to bend over the frame all day...and I can stand fairly straight most of the time, unless I really need to see what I am doing then I bend over some.

I know a lady in Washington state that is only 5' and her hubby built her two platforms,one for the front and one for the back of the machine that run the whole length...he built them so that she was taller and now her bar also hits her about that same place....before it was about boob high for her.;) He was able to make them wide enough so that she doesn't back off them accidently as well.

I have a milli and my belly bar is almost at chest height, when my arms are at 90 degress my hands fit underneath the quilt. When I have my handles sticking straigh out they are pretty much level with my shoulders.

My floor is not level, one end of my machine is down as far as it will go and the other end is raised about 1 1/2 inches so it is level.

I have a step that I stand on when I quilt but it is only about 2 foot long and about 10 inches wide so I have to be really careful not to fall off it, and it means I cannot move with my machine at all. Having a platform built the length of my machine is not practical due to the very small size of my room and the location of the machine.

I am seriously considering take the legs off and taking them somewhere to get them cut down smaller, but am not really game to do this on something so new and so expensive! I suggested to hubby that we could drill holes in the floor and stick the feet through the floor but he doesn't like that idea LOL!

The one good thing is that I can just squat a little and fit right underneath the bars without hitting my head to check tension :)

Susan

Hi Susan

You could take your table ends to Menzies Metals in Seaford, and get them cut off there and I don't think it would cost too much. The only thing I think we should get advice from Mark on first is, how far up the inside of the ends does the threading go so that you put the levelling feet back on.I think it goes about 8"

Sue

The other option is to get a platform to stand on while your quilting to see if you like the hight it before chopping your millies leggs off...... That sounds funny :P

I think that I'm a little short for my millie as do tend to get a sore back when working from the front of the machine (tend to stand on my tippy toes at times) so my DH suggested the platform. Havn't tried it yet.

cheers

If you keep unscrewing the levelling feet do they eventually come right off?

Looking at it even when down to it's lowest position the feet add about 2 inches to the height, if I took those right off the legs that are wound down to the lowest point that would help at least a little bit...

Susan

My Penny was way too tall for me, and I couldn't use it wihtout back, neck problems.. so We took our table LEGS out to a welder near here. We had him cut thru at about 11" high, ((which is Above the long screw that is up in the legs, for adjustments)). He then cut 3 inches out, welded them back together, smoothed them off and even repainted them for me. I have to look to find where the cut was made.. Now It's a very comfy height, looks nice, I have no platform to turn around on and step right on my face on the floor, which I would surely do. It was well worth the $50. I would remember though to have him cut at or slightly above 11 inches or you won't be able to turn the feet to make leveling adjustments.

Now, wouldn't wood legs be able to cut off in a similar way?? Yes, I know the machine has to come off, but it would be worth it to avoid back pain and future problems that will become much worse.

RitaR

• 4 months later...

I tried to raise my table using the small 'feet' but mine are very short - they don't adjust the 8 inches like others have said. Bummer too since I'm 5'7" as well and my table is too short for me. Fine doing custom since I sit, but very back breaking doing panto work. Does anyone know where/what I could purchase to raise the table? (don't need the hydraulic lift)

Hi Kathy,

What kind of table do you have on your Liberty? The metal table with the round metal end pieces/legs? If so, you are turning the wrong bolt. You should have a really large wrench that came with your system and you use that to unscrew the larger bolts ontop of the small ones you loosened. The ones you loosened are the leveling ones. Check to see if you have this system and if so, you should be able to adjust the height around 8" or so. I believe your manual includes directions to raise your table.

Archived