Help needed with sashing and borders

smudges

Hi! I need some help :)

I am working on a customers quilt, it is an appliqued top with cars, trucks etc appliqued with satin stitched and then each block is surrounded with black fabric. The background and borders are flannel, the black is a dressmaking fabric, it feels like a wool blend. The back is also flannel (and very stretchy!).

I have stitched in the ditch around the outside of each block and around all the applique, and will now stipple in the background around the applique.

I was going to use a template to do narrow cables (like slippery when wet signs) in the sashing, but the sashing does not sit straight and varies in width from 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" so I won't be able to get it all lined up. Any suggestions for the sashing? I will bo doing cables in the borders.

Thanks!

Susan

post--13461900199552_thumb.jpg

Hi Susan, Boy, what a cute quilt. But I can see why it is a challenge. I first thought of train tracks, the road sign shapes, but I would do some doodling on some strips of paper to lay them in the sashing strips to try them out. Or you could do a series of circles to mimick the wheels. But I would do the doodling thing first and try out a few ideas.:cool:

I would consider a loopy meander--but make each loop a "wheel" and double back into it--think double bubble or cinnamon roll--you could do the sashing and then sneek into the blocks to do the meandering and make it continuous.

I am not real good with the mouse--but you get the idea.

Bonnie--I had to borrow your pic to draw mine on--thanks!!

Just my thoughts when I saw the quilt.

post--13461900199975_thumb.jpg

The backing fabric here looks exactly like the backing fabric of the quilt I have on my frame this very minute, and the quilt is driving me crazy. I made the enormous mistake of using a matching thread on the bottom and then several different color threads on the top to match the many different colors. I extremely regret not having chosen to quilt the whole thing with the same thread top and bottom because I have to re-adjust the tension every time I change threads, which is 4 times on each row. The back does not look good.

The backing is unwashed, and I don't know how much of my problem is because of this, but the thread sits on top instead of sinking in, and it's not all a tension problem.

So I recommend using one thread top and bottom and not trying to match the backing . . .

It is a practice quilt for a friend who said I could do what I wanted. The easy way would have been a one color panto, but I'm supposed to be practicing, so I am doing SID and echo SID using my new rulers (!) and I do need that practice. But it would be so much easier if I hadn't matched the bottom thread.

I'm getting lots of practice frogging. That's not where I need my practice! And whenever I have the desire to just "let it go", I am reminded of what Shana said, "You are only as good as your last quilt."

Maybe I should frog the whole thing and start all over.

I vote circles for wheels in the sashing.

post--13461900201253_thumb.jpg

Archived