Minkee

Hi Tammy

If you have zippers on your leaders and pin the minky to the zippers instead of the canvas, it might help alleviate some of the stretching. I've recently converted to zippers (about 3 months ago) and am now a very strong proponent. I avoided it in the past thinking that I needed to pin the quilt onto the leaders anyway...... one of the best parts of the zippers is not stretching out the leaders. The reverse may be true, too, not stretching out the backing. My take up leader was very streched through the center (about 3" compared to the ends). The first thing I did to my new machine was put zippers on the leaders.

I've embroidered bears on top of minky but have yet to get the darn thing quilted. The nephew that I made the top for turned out to be two nephews (twins) and I haven't gotten the second top done yet. I'm glad to hear it quilts up nicely.

Vicki

Country Quilt Studio

975 W. Lincoln Hwy, Suite B

Nevada, IA 50201

515 382-1815

www.countryquiltstudio.com

Hey Tammy!! I just got done quilting two baby quilts with the Minkee as the back. I found that the Minkee will stretch in one direction and the other direction it does not stretch nearly as much. If you would attach the two ends that do not stretch as much when tugged on to the leaders and then the two sides that do stretch to your clamps it should work great. It is very easy to quilt and does hide your threads very well!! Good Luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Jill:)

Thanks so much for the advice!

I do have zippers that I have not put on yet.....guess it is time!

Good to know the best way to load it as well!

I'll probably not quilt it til after Thanksgiving since I'm going to be

cleaning and cooking for the next two days!

But I"ll be sure to let you know how it goes!

Tammy in AZ

APQS Millennium ~ Lizzie

OK, I was also wondering what kind of batting you are using. I don't have an LQS that has minkee so I had DM pick some up at her LQS and she brought it over last weekend. She said that the ones at her LQS did not have any batting in them and they were tied. I would think that you would want csomething thin. I have airtex 50/50 cotton poly, and the 80/20 also. The 50/50 is thinner.

Diane

Guest baglady828

I did 5 customer quilts that used minkee for the backs. The tops were denim jeans. It worked out perfectly, no stretching. Although, it was the pits for binding.:)

Archived