Fan Quilt with ClamShells

Sorry you guys. Have not been on-line for a while. The Clamshells were done with the Shells & Swirls ruler by the gadget girls. i quilted right through the fans. When speaking with my customer she wanted a variegated cream thread that matched the background. I have a nice King Tut neutral - however, I talked her into a bottomline thread so it would dissapear on the fans and the fans would then stand out. Could not bring myself to put cream over those fans. Originally I had planned on feathers in the background with the King Tut and using smoke 'fishing line' on the fans. All that changed when she decided against feathers due to the $$$$s quoted. I find marking and working feathers much more time consuming than the clamshells. And If I could afford it I would get the CL templates as I do have the CL - but I'm not sure if I could get it lined up as well. Using the ruler lets me scoooch to accomodate a not quite square quilt.

I think I estimated 1,260 clamshells done 3 at a time. I'm nuts, but I always find this very relaxing. But I also enjoy SID - yep, I'm nuts. Comes with being a mom I think.

Say Kathy, have you seen Cindy Roth's sashiko rulers? since you love SID and ruler work, you may find them useful. I have her Sashiko Stars, 1.5 inch, and it is fun to do different things with. I know someone is going to ask for a picture, so I'll say right now, I don't have one. Give me a week and I'll post one. I took Cindy's Sashiko class last year at Innovations and she makes it look really easy.

I LOVE IT. Have not seen those rulers and now I must have them. Hopefully they come with a paper that shows some of the designs. Often it's a while before I have an opportunity. Yahoooo. Another Ruler. (These rulers make it so much easier than flipping a smaller ruler around - they're quicker.

BTW - someone at a recent BOM meeting asked me if I had alot of rulers when they saw the clamshell quilt. My girlfriend just started laughing.

But I am thinking of selling some of the rulers I don't use very often...but then again, maybe not. They're so pretty in my baskets. :D

crashing with the ruler can be scary. I hold my rulers with my thumb down at the bottom - on the fabric to hold it in place. I put my finger tips toward the top. And I glide the foot around the ruler by pulling lightly with my right hand as I hold the ruler with my right. The important thing to remember is 'glide' easily. Only had 'one' almost crash on this quilt.

The clam shell went though the entire quilt - side to side. The thread just melted into/matched the fan and border fabric. Intent was to showcase that fabric and fans. Customer loved it. I did too - and customers that came to the studio while it was there always seemed to want to put their fingers on it. I had to put a sign on it "Please do Not Touch". I often say "please just look with your eyes...".

Archived