Permission release forms

For what it is worth: recently I finished a quilt for a customer, and I always take pictures of the finished quilts, and sometime use on my website. Well...I had a customer call me and complain, that she did not want a picture of her quilt out there for everyone to see. I said I was sorry and removed. I have never in since I have been in business have anyone complain, but have decided if I think I might use the pictures, I have them sign a release when they pick up their quilt, to use the pictures in my website and for advertising purposes.

I must say most people are so flattered that you want to show their quilt, I was surprised when this customer called. But it turned out okay. Just a lesson learned for me. And I suppose if it was an original pattern, I might not want to spread the picture around, especially if I was entering into a contest or something similar.:)

On my work order along with permission to use the blue marking pen and other marking mediums (separate signature and date), I have a "release" signature that allows me to use their photo for advertising ie.... Webshots, Website etc. I always ask verbally, then direct them to the signature line when the quilt is dropped off. There is also a place for them to sign and date during the intake process, acknowledging the final price and design ideas. A business card is given with the final price and estimated date of completion.

When picking up the quilt, we go over the quilt and the initial and date a the photo release again, and sign and date they have received the quilt.

I don't photo every quilt ;) because of the time involved but I never know that when a quilt is dropped off so they all sign......

Seems like a lot of paper work but I love the "professional" look of these forms and more than one customer has commented on this.

I always ask permission to photograph the quilt and put it on my webshots. I have only had one lady say no in 2 years and I can't for the life of me figure out why, it was definitely no award winning secret pattern nor was ig going to be a secret gift. Anyway, I also ask for their email address and tell them that when the quilt is finished I will send them a direct link to view it. If I don't hear from them in a couple of days after sending the email I will call to make sure they received it.

This has been my only advertising and it is very powerful. They send the email link to all their friends to look at their quilt. I can also show customers in my studio different quilts that I have completed with quilting ideas for their quilt.

To make it fast and easy to photograph each quilt here is what I do. I use zippers to put the quilt on my frame. I have 2 zippers (one hanging in each direction) attached to canvas hanging from the cieling directly below flourescent lights. When I unzip the quilt from the machine, I walk over to the zippers hanging from the cieling and zip it directly on there, step back and take a picture, unzip, turn it around and zip it to the second zipper hanging from the cieling and take a picture of the back. I have a little step stool so I can reach the zippers. It all only takes a couple of minutes and it helps me to take one final look over the entire quilt front and back.

Mindy

I have the following forms on my web page and anyone who wants to use them or any part of them is welcome to copy/edit as desired:

http://www.sunshinequilts.com/Picture.html

http://www.sunshinequilts.com/marker.html

I do not get everyone to send these forms. I rarely take the time to photograph a quilt any more unless it represents a type quilting I don't have on my web page. How many Daisy Swirl Panto quilts does one need to see? :P

If someone contacts me with a custom request and we discuss the type quilting desired and I realize it will need marking, I send her the link to the marker waiver and ask her to read, print, sign and send it to me. I may also ask her to print, sign and send the picture form also.

Otherwise, if after I've quilted the top and decide I want to post a picture, I copy/paste the contents of the picture release and send it in an e-mail, ask the topper to respond with the quilt description and an "I agree" statement.

Most of my business comes through the mail so I don't meet the topper in person.

Hope this helps.

Archived