What are your favorites?

meg_marsh

Curiosity killed the cat............. Just wonder what all of you like best..... & why.

1. bobbin thread

2. top thread/s

3. batting or battings for various type quilts

4. ruler / template

5. tool (frog tool, scissors, snippers, whatever is the one thing you can't live without and why.

6. panto, stencil, computerized design

There are probably a few more favorite items - just thought this might be interesting. As a newbie, I am already starting to note a few favorites. So far, for me....

1. bobbin - Sew Fine - lots of colors and looks good on the back

2. Lava & King Tut - love variegated threads

3. Dream Puff, Dream Angel & Dream Wool - very little lint and they quilt beautifully.

4. not sure yet for ruler or template

5. little curved flat blade with medium point at the end of a wooden handle (don't know the name of it) & tweezers for frogging of which I do too much & CL to make me look good.

6. Love the "Frisky Feathers" panto but haven't quilted enough to have a favorite,

Hope this is interesting to some of you.

1. bobbin thread

Prewounds...love 'em, use them almost all the time.

2. top thread/s

Sew Fine mostly, sometimes Rainbows

3. batting or battings for various type quilts

Mostly Quilter's Dream Blend and Hobbs 80/20

4. ruler / template

Off the Edge - SID whatever it is.

5. tool (frog tool, scissors, snippers, whatever is the one thing you can't live without and why.

I won a pair of of those tiny little snip things that you squeeze the handles together to cut. They kind of look like tweezers....I cut a quilt top using those Gingher, curved scissors when I first started quilting...these are much safer for me.

6. panto, stencil, computerized design

Circle Lord. So easy to use, so many designs. Makes me look good ;)

1. bobbin thread - SoFine

2. top thread/s - SoFine

3. batting or battings for various type quilts - love QD. I use mostly poly select (mid grade) & poly dream puff is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Wool is also wonderful...ok I have many favorites. Dream puff is wonderful because you can let it puff or stipple it down and it really gives your quilting definition but doesn't get stiff. If is also very warm...need that in the Northeast!

4. ruler / template - Dainty Ditcher and Renae's Rays and Arcs. I also use almost all of Quilters Rule nested rulers. I use these for marking my quilting areas and they are wonderful!

5. tool (frog tool, scissors, snippers, whatever is the one thing you can't live without and why. - Spring curved scissors for snipping threads. My micro handles are absolute must!

6. panto, stencil, computerized design - Oh I just love stencils! Use more of them than I could list here. My most used are Pam Clarks which I use as a guide so that my freehand stuff is consistant.

1.Bobbin thread- So Fine or pre-wound

2. top threads- Highlights, Rainbows, So Fine, King Tut

3. Quilter's Dream wool, Warm & natural for a quilt that needs stabilizing, Dream cotton select loft

4.Dainty Ditcher, Sherry's apple core for perfect cc's, my straight rulers that came with my base expnder

5.Spring snippers that hang on my machine for clipping threads

6.Come Dance with me leaf panto, many stencils especially Pam Clarks!

I think I need to know what the "FROG TOOL" is. I don't have that yet. Where can I get that?

1. bobbin thread - Cotton: Masterpiece Prewound: Poly: So Fine or Prewound SuperBobs.

2. top thread/s - King Tut, PolyQuilter, So Fine

3. batting or battings for various type quilts: Quilter's Dream Deluxe for soft, warm, quilts; QD Select for a thinner feel. Wool for lightweight and to show off quilting.

4. ruler / template: Sherry Rogers' Deluxe Dainty Ditcher (w/handle) from www.sewfarsewgood.org -- It's always with me in my apron pocket when I'm quilting.

5. tool: My whiteboard for practicing before I sew on the quilt.

6. panto, stencil, computerized design: Circle Lord Featheared Wreath

1. bobbin - So Fine - if there is a color close tot he top thread. If not, I use the same thread top and bobbin.

2. Signature cotton/Cotton-wrapped Poly and King Tut. I alos love TEX 40 PermaCore because it comes in a bizillion colors.

3. Quilter's Dream Cotton (Select and Deluxe lofts), QD Puff and QD Wool. I like the feel and breathability of cotton and wool. B I also love the definition of QD Puff.

4. Megan Best rulers for SID - have both 5" and 8". Use the 5" most.

5. Circle Lord ( and all my wonderful templates) and Tweezer snippers without the hook and the surgical seam ripper for big Frogs.

6. I love the look of Featheration by Meredith England. It is a big pattern and quilts up fast.

Even though I had to sell my APQS Freedom (to Shannon here = very talented lady) I still have my quilting favorites and I still quilt (DSM).

Bobbins - prewounds/Superbobs from Superior! they fit in my Pfaff DSM

Batting - Fairfield has a new batting 50% organic cotton and 50% bamboo - it quilts sooooo great and is so soft

Thimble - Dritz has a thimble I just discovered with the "back" open, the front is shaped perfectly, I use it for hand finishing work and repairs.

1. use Signature and PermaCore threads and wind my own bobbins to match

2. use mostly Hobbs 100% cotton heirloom batting and just bought the Bamboo - it is very nice. Love wool batting but kind of pricey.

3. I have an "itty bitty" ruler that is my favorite for SID because it just fits in your hand.

4. Pantos are my downfall - so many favorites: Come Dance With Me looks like freehand and flows so nice; Feather Plume that came with my machine; Leaf Pile; Basketweave for a masculine quilt.

1. bobbin thread -- BOTTOM LINE AND I WIND MY OWN BOBBINS.

2. top thread/s -- I LOVE AND USE THEM ALL.... SO FINE, HIGHLITES, RAINBOWS, KING TUT, PERMACORE, SIGNATURE, YLI, ROBISON ANTON, MADIERA, ALL SORTS OF METALLICS... WHATEVER.

3. batting or battings for various type quilts -- HOBBS 80/20, QUILTERS DREAM COTTON AND QD POLY, TUSCANY SILK, HOBBS WOOL...

4. ruler / template - APPLE CORE OR DAINTY DITCHER AND JANET LEE'S FAVORITE BY GADGET GIRLS

5. tool (frog tool, scissors, snippers, whatever is the one thing you can't live without and why. -- DENTAL HOOK; IT PULLS UP THE THREADS WITHOUT SHREDDING. I CAN SERIOUSLY RIP VERY QUICKLY WITH MY DENTAL HOOK. I ALSO USE MY HOOK TO PICK OUT TO A POINT SO I CAN KNOT AND BURY MY THREADS (WHEN I RUN OUT OF BOBBIN)

6. panto, stencil, computerized design - PAM CLARKE'S STENCILS (LOOK LIKE PIE SLICES AND THE OTHERS ARE PIANO KEY SIZES FOR BORDERS, ETC.) I DONT' HAVE TOO MANY PANTOS OR STENCILS YET...I HAVE SOME BUT NONE THAT I CONSIDER "MUST GOTTA HAVES"

Bobbin-So Fine

Top thread- like most except Poly Quilter from Superior (too heavy)

batting: Warm & Naturall cotton

ruller: itty bitty and dainly ditcher

I use a very fine crochet hook to frog. I pull out top stitches for about an inch then give the bobbin a pull and it breaks off enough to start the process over.

panto-tassles, daisy swirl, waterworld The Circle Lord has been such a blessing!!

1. bobbin-I wind my own on the machine and tend to match the top threads.

2. Top threads Presencia 50 wt. awesome cotton thread with little lint and lots of strength. wish that all the colors came in cones. Variegated love Sulky Blendables--awesome colors not as much lint or knots as King tutt and almost half the price.

4. rulers-- lots of Quilter's rule. Better prices and lots of selection. Course I have a lot of others as well.

My computer has been taken over by something and posted before I finished.

3. Batting--depends on the look. my newest fav. is Warm Co's Bond 80/20. Dreamy feel and lovely to quilt. Hobb's Poly Down, Hobb's 80/20 (customer favorite), Alpaca/Wool , Quilter's Dream cottons the heavier wts, Warm and White. Wool.

5. Tools Combicut seam ripper (teeny blade and it's retractable with tweezers on the opposite end), a tiny pair of sissors with really thin blades-no idea where they are from or what brand they are but they are great for cutting threads very close tot he quilt.

6. Panots--not really but I use Pam Clarke's stencils all the time.

1. I love superiors pre-wounds and their Sew fine for the top.

2. I really like the Clover #14 steel crochet hook, it does a ton! Frogging those tough spots, tieing off threads, also makes a great stiletto. And you could even use it for its intended purpose which was to crochet through a seed bead! Yep, that baby is small!

3. Batting, Love the Tuscany Wool for a light and airy feel, but Hobbs 80/20 for the weighted down comfort of a cozy bed.

4. Best pattern ever? The compu-quilter! It has dramatically increased my skill! LOL unfortunately I still can't figure out how to SID!!!! That is my serious downfall!

Welcome to the group. This chat is fabulous, with such great helpers! I have missed everyone over the summer, the boards have all been so quiet!

Brendalee

Bobbin-pre-wound BL and self-wound whatever to match the top if necessary.

Top-King Tut, Signature, BL, SewFine.

Batting--Just about any 80/20, wool, any QD except the thinnest.

Ruler-Dainty Ditcher for SID and my DH-made crosshatch that attaches to the leveler bar.

Tool-tiny crochet hook and my curved blade scissors that live on my front laser spindle.

Panto, etc.-I also love the Pam Clarke stencils--the pie shape and the straight line ones. And my Topper, of course!

It is fun to try new things and crawl out of that "box". I am trying a few new border stencils and it is a lot of fun!

1. bobbin thread -- anything Superior -- i use pre-wound The Bottom Line most

2. top thread/s -- anything Superior -- Highlights, Rainbows and Metallic the most

3. batting or battings for various type quilts -- Quilter's Dream Wool

4. ruler / template -- Itty Bitty Ruler by Off the Edge

5. tool (frog tool, scissors, snippers, whatever is the one thing you can't live without and why. -- New snippers by Superior Threads made for LA'ers

6. panto, stencil, computerized design -- stencils, stencils, stencils -- i love stencils -- also i cut up pantos and use them as stencils --

Other favorite things: My DH really came through this past Christmas. He got me a lot of things that I needed.

- Craftsman air compressor

- Stackable tool cabinet -- bottom with larger drawers and top with small shallow drawers

- MP3 player -- when IO do not want to talk to people I put in my ear phones

radio/cd player for my studio

What a great guy!!

Sandra

Bobbin - Superior "super bobs"

Topstitch - King Tut, Lava

Batting - Quilters Dream, especially the wool and green

Ruler/template - Anyone recommended on this forum

Tools - Snips like MaryBeth's pic

Panto, Stencil - CL, CL, CL, Topper, Topper, Topper, stencils (love them)

DVD - Bonnie's steam method (as soon as she finishes it). All of Myrna's teaching DVDs

Other - Flatscreen TV behind "gator" to watch DVD Lessons

Favorite machine feature - motor advance and LED lighting

1. bobbin thread - bottom line or so fine - I usually wind my own bobbins, but just used some YLI prewounds and I could get spoiled in a hurry with those. (Fabric Depot - online - 30% off!!)

2. top thread/s - So fine, King Tut, Rainbow - whatever thread I have that is the right color

3. batting or battings for various type quilts - W&N, & W&N's poly soft & bright,

4. ruler / template - dainty ditcher

5. tool (frog tool, scissors, snippers, whatever is the one thing you can't live without and why - I have the squeezers but with the curved tip so that I know I won't snip the quilt. Love them.

6. panto, stencil, computerized design - Pam Clark's stencils, Zingaro panto by Sue Patton & Deb Gesslers panto Hibiscus.

Most of all, my biggest tool is learning from all of you guys!!!!:cool:

Archived