Hankie quilt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JoAnn - beautiful job on the quilting. Your customer will be really pleased. I like the way she aranged the block and the center one being asymetrical is right up my ally. I have a hard time wanting to do things symetrical at time because I half cocked anyways. :D

Robin - welcome to the forum. I'm glad that you came out of lurkdome. I hope to see you here more often and it is good to meet you. If you make a quilt out of those hanky's we all would love to see your quilt cause we all like pictures. :cool:

I love hankie quilts, and this one is just beautiful. You did an awesome job. I would love to do one for each of my gd, but haven't a clue where to find hankies these days. Think I will check online. You can find anything there. Again, beautiful quilt. The quilting certainly makes the quilt on that one.

Joann, I love this quilt. It is so girly and yet.....

My grandmother taught me that a lady always carries a hanky, preferably with lace. But even that prim and proper lady was always ready to go dancing.

So your quilt is frilly (love that frilly fill) and girly but your border says that you are ready to go partying.:cool: Woo-hoo.

It looks so vintage. Beautiful piecing and quilting. I had received one earlier this year to work on and the handkerchiefs had just been slapped onto plain white squares with a dark green sashing....not a lot of thought was put into the effort and then she wanted "Chantilly Lace" stitched over the whole thing. I warned her the edges that weren't securely stitched down could get flipped and stitched the wrong way. She didn't really care.

But yours is sooooooo beautiful I could see myself cutting into my Grammy's hankies and doing something like this.

JoAnn, my cousin sent me a LARGE box of her Grandmothers hankys and some doilies. She wants me to make a quilt or quilts out of them and I would love to get the pattern of this one you have done. It looks simple but elegant and I love the way you quilted it.......very girly. Do you know if you customer had a pattern or did she make it up? I love your border pattern.....that is really cool.

Renae

The pattern was made up in her head.

I marked the corner curve and the wavy spine only with a purple pen.

I used a round plex template for the corner curve and a wavy plastic template for the spine.

Since I hate going completely around the quilt in one direction with feathers, I always start in the corners and work my way to the center.

I mark while the quilt in on the quilting frame.

The blocks are 6 x 6 finished.

There are more pictures on my webshots.

I have quilted many a hankie quilt, but this one is the most pretty...the others were just hankies suck on fabric this one has some class.;) JoAnn, did she use type of adhesive to hold the hankies down or were they loose..the lady I use to sew for would use stiff Wonder Under and I never liked it, but that was before they had the new lighter stuff. Again love the design she came up with and as always...I want to be like you when I grow up.

AND just how are Willow and Jett doing, these days?

There is no backing of any kind on the hankies. They are very soft and puff nice when quilted.

I used dream puff batting.

Jett and Willa are growing. Jett drug a 20 pound sack of cat food from the mud room to the kitchen because he didn't want me feeding it to the stray outdoor cats. He also throws his can food off the shelf to the floor when he is hungry.

He also threw fresh picked green beans all over the house just for fun. He's smarter than he needs to be.

post--13461900295935_thumb.jpg

Archived