Hankie quilt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ffq-lar

Beautiful!! I am going to hit the thrift and antique shops and start stocking up on hankies! And that gold border--I am in awe!!

I don't have to hit the antique shops, I have a box of them, but didn't want to put the wonder under stuff on the back..

JoAnn....Jett has become a very handsome man....and too smart for his britches as well....

I have a bunch of old hankie that a friend gave me. He's 80 and was a seaman from the age of 17, when he retired at 67 he was Manager of the crane dept at Sealand Shipping. He's been all over the word many times. Every trip he would bring a hankie from womewhere back to his mother. There are 2 from pre-Castro Cuba, both are very plain, no print, just the word Cuba stitched in a corner.

Peglu, Another good place to find old hankies is auctions. They are usually stuck in a box with other stuff, cause no one wants them or knows what to do with them. I made my daugthers wedding ring pillow out of old hankies , tatting, and jewlery that were her great grandma's (my and my DH's grandmas) I used the silk material left from her wedding dress that I made for the foundation and the back of the pillow. I will try to post a picture when I get home from work. It turned out very pretty! Love that old stuff!!!!! linda

Ah the quilting is so beautiful and it really made this quilt. Thank you for sharing. The gold border is absolutely stunning.

I am in Oklahoma City with my daughter, the three older grandkids and the new twins. Oh my they are soooo tiny.

JoAnn, I have quite a few of my grandmother's hankies and live in a town full of antique shops--where I often see collections of hankies! As everyone else has mentioned--this is beautifully pieced, appliqued and quilted! Prettiest I've ever seen! I'm curious--I have a large number of old linens, doilies, etc.. Has anyone got ideas for how to utilize those in a quilt? Jane

Archived