Hey, all you lurkers out there!

Thanks to all for sharing your talents. I'm new to longarm as of this year, and I'm so excited, and just love it. I have been quilting & teaching for many years, and have such a passion for sewing & music. If only I could quilt on the motorbike (but I did get the French Horn strapped on the back).

I have two grown sons, a Llasa Apsa, and a wonderful guy, and I'm from Ontario. Living in a rural area, it is great to be inspired by so many of you.

Dale

"Sunshine on a Coudy Day"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey All,

I am Lynn M from Wanatah In. I have been lurking since I bought my Freedom in 2004. I recieve the newsletter every day and have learned Sooooooooo much from this site. It seems that whenever I'm having any kind of problem with my machine or I'm having "Quilters Block" and need an idea for a quilt, this is the place to come. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.Sometimes you guys (gals) crack me up.

And yes, I too am one of those quilters that ride motorcycles.

Been married to DH for about 27 yrs. DD lives in Ga w/hubby and 2 great children.

Have been quilting as a business since 2004, part-time, but things are just now starting to come around and I may even make a profit this year.

Will try to participate in discussions from now on and lurk no more.

Lynn

Hello Everyone,

I am Vicki and am new to longarming since Feb. of this year. I read these blogs every couple of days and have enjoyed reading about you all. What a bunch of fun girls (& occasional guys) you are! I have also learned so much about my machine (tension, etc.) as well as how to deal with customers and have gotten lots of great quilting ideas, you are very talented people! I have been quilting for about 30 years pieceing and quilting on my DM but my wonderful husband of 32 years encouraged me to make the jump to LA full time as I enjoy it so much. I love antique quilts and live in historic Fredericksburg, VA. I am now quilting my 24th customer quilt since I started quilting for customers in April. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks for sharing so much and I look forward to logging on and seeing more quilts and ideas!

Vicki

I, too, have been lurking. Just as many of you have stated, I have learned a ton from these boards. My little 900 sq. foot house wasn't big enough for Millie or even Lenni. However, I found my love! GEORGE has been with me for 2.5 years and it's been a wonderful relationship! My house was flooded when the storms hit in June. My friends and family immediately were concerned about George! They knew that I would have been devastated if George had 'drown'. I assured them George was fine. The posts regarding top and bobbin thread have been so valuable!

Hello to everyone. I have been "lurking" for a while, absorbing any info I could get on LA quilting. I have been piecing for about 10 years but have decided I can't live without a LA. (My DH insists I can!) :) I have a few ? for anyone who would like to answer. I am a mom of 5, stay at home, sew for other people. We are on a really limited budget and we've never spent $10,000 on a car, much less a quilt machine. Anyway, like I said, I can't live without one, so I've been looking at getting a used one. I have considered the Tin Lizzie because there is one near me for $5000 with a SR. which I think I need. (the SR) I truly truly want an APQS, but just can't see how to afford one right now. I check the used machine forum several times a day. There is never a used Lenni. Anyone know why? That would be the most affordable. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome!

I will answer what I can. The Lenni is a newer machine, small, and has all the things we want on a machine. So it is easy to handle and I would think that if someone has one...they won't give it up unless they croak.

Check all the sites, not just this one. You may need to register for one, Machine Quilters Resouce, but the rest are free...www.mqresource.com; www.longarmuniversity.com; www.houseofhanson.com (I think - you may want to look that one up - I don't like the music on their site...so I don't go there). There is another site that you have to pay $20 to access...don't know that web address, but someone will.

Personally, I would not go with the Tin Lizzie...even the name sounds cheap :D Oh, now I will get blaste. It is probably a fine machine. it would just be a last choice for me. There are some good brands out there, other than APQS - although that is my favorite - but Gammill and A-1 have good products too.

I say go with whatever you can afford to get started, no matter how small, no matter which brand. It's all about getting experience. I did meandering or SID on probably 50 quilts on my DSM so that by the time I got my longarm, I didn't even need to practice meandering, and my first SID wasn't bad. You can always move up, and once you have some experience, you will be a better judge of what you want in a machine and not buy too much or too little machine.

The important thing is to start.

Someone only an hour away from me just put up an 11 yr old Ultimate 1 on the for sale board. Would this be good for a newbie? I have researched machines like crazy, but not the older ones. Any info or opinions would be so great. Also, can someone tell me how to post a new post and not just a reply?

WOW! Now that I see how many people are reading what I post I may become a lurker myself! Gee, what a sobering thought, me with my mouth shut.....sorry it ain't gonna happen so it's ok for anyone at all to just jump in and say "Shut up Kenna" when I get out of bounds! As for all of those who don't feel like they have anything to contribute: I have no machine, but I'm going to have one. I don't peice, except when I just can't get out of it. I like to design quilts, I get them in my head and then have to go to my DM and try to pour what's in my head into hers so the quilts will get done someday! I'm on here everyday whether I comment or not, I love seeing everyone progress and get their dreams onto fabric! This place is amazing! And I love getting on my knees over my prayer list to which I have just added Jeanne's son Ryan, Susan B., and Gails sister!

Kenna; just read your thread and wanted to thank you for praying for my Sister Betty.

I might chat with her tomorrow and I will keep you updated on her progress. Prayer does change things. I have been out of work over a month and I just got onboard with a new client with lots of hours. Thank you Lord!!!!! Anytime you have prayer request please don't hesitate to mention it and I will go to the Father.

To post a new topic instead of a reply, click on the blue box "topic" instead of clicking on "reply". That will open a new page where you can create your new topic.

Fill in the "Subject" box with a specific subject. It will get more readers if your subject is something like "tension troubles" or "I cut the fabric" instead of "You won't believe this" or something equally vague.

It gives you the opportunity to "Preview Post" so you can see how it will look in its final form, read whether you have said what you want to say, and make any corrections before you finalize it by clicking on "Post Reply." I usually make about ten changes in "Preview Post" before I actually post my reply.

Thanks for asking. Some people are afraid to ask questions. We are all here to help!

You can even change your post after it has been posted by clicking on the "Edit" box which shows up only in threads you have created. Only you have the option to change your own posts.

This is the best! It's amazing how a 59 year old man (me) learns something everyday. After raising two sons on my own, keeping a house, a business (hair salon for almost 39 yrs) and also a professional artist (painter, sculptor and now art quilt maker and longarmer) I have learned more from this forum thn I did in University behind a desk! I have been quilting and longarming for only 5 years now since meeting my wonderul partner who opened a quilt store after 32 years of teaching kindergarden. She made me realize my dream of living as an artist, (now that the boys married off). I took to quilting like a duck to water. I didn't find it that much of a jump from drawing or painting. I retired from my business and longarm professionally now. I never knew that I was a lurker. Didn't really know what that was. (not computer savy). But I must admit that everything that I thoughtyI was doing wrong, someone else was doing it too. Great feeling knowing that. The answers were always there on this forum. Easy to be a lurker because someone always asks the same question you were thinking about. I have posted a couple to times, usually to find something out. Now maybe I will post just to talk about what I love doing, longarming. Thanks again friends.

Hi, my name is Kelly and I live in southeast Colorado. I have been reading this forum for quite a while but have never posted. I didn't even register until a couple of weeks ago, after meeting Trayce Quinlan at the Co State Fair during the quilt judging. What a joy it was to talk with her for a bit after the judging!! The best part was when she was talking about MQS and how I need to go, and my DH was standing right there taking all the info in. When we left, he told me I better start saving my pennies. It was great for him to hear from someone else in the "business" to be so excited about MQS. Oh, an seeing her Hick Chicks (I sure hope I have the name of her wallhanging right) sure didn't hurt either!! He was amazed (as we both were!!) at seeing that so upclose and personal. I mean, being inches away and seeing it all so upclose and personal was so inspiring!!

I've had my Nolting since January and am still a very newby with it. But, I'm getting more comfortable with it with each new quilt I do.

Quilting has taken over my life. lol DH would attest for that. lol I thought I was obsessed before I got my longarm!! I've not been able to really start the business up yet, but that will come in the next month. I knew with wedding quilts to make, I had to get those done first. In the meantime I have learned so much and have gotten more comfortable that I'm now ready. I am much more comfortable working in front of the machine and am very proficiant with free motion quilting.

I will try to post periodically. As soon as I can, I will post a few quilts I have done most recently. I always enjoy seeing what everyone is working on!! I find inspiration is others work.

Kelly Kreft

Archived