Baptist Fan

Mary Beth

I just did a quilt using the CL Baptist Fan....I have never been a fan of this pattern, but have only used it a couple of times. But I gotta tell ya, it went so fast, about 2 1/2 hours to quilt this full size quilt. I loved it. And I have to admit, the Baptist Fan does look good on this quilt. Oh, and yes, I quilted over the applique, but it is what the customer want to pay for....no custom.

2539490740090312137S425x425Q85.jpg

and a close up...

[2226326510090312137S425x425Q85.jpg

BEE-U-T-ful MB. I never thought that I would become a CL fan, but I may have to think about that some more. But first I have to have the clients to be able to pay for it!!! All in good time - as they say (whoever they are). Great job girlfriend. :cool:

Ah, Patty Jo, who needs clients :P:D

Bonnie, it's not just the antiqueeee look...it really is a vintage quilt. I love these things. I hate to let them go back to the customer...I want them all!!! This one had a few problems, kind of loosy-goosy on some of the applique...like it didn't lay flat and had like air bubbles. Anyway...the way the Baptist Fan goes back and forth it just make things work out okay. It's not a show quilt that is for sure...but it worked.

Bonnie,

The whole time I am handling one of these old quilts I am thinking about the same thing. Who did the piecing? How old was she? I want to know everything about her, her home life, her kids or not, her husband, or not. I love vintage quilts. Now I know why we need labels on quilts.

Thank you all for your compliments on this quilt.

Mary Beth,

I really like the quilting on this top, it really suits it! I too love old tops and constantly wonder about all the details...who made it, what were they like, etc.

I just found and bought an old Singer treddle sewing machine from 1936 and last night I stitched a few seams with it to see how it sewed (the stitch is incredible...even stitched 30 stitches per inch accurately!...I am so impressed) and the whole time I was sitting in front of it my thoughts were...who was the original owner of this machine, what did she sew with it? I love that kind of stuff.

I used the King Baptist Fan (board) template. I have not tried the fan blade thingy, although I have decided next time I load a practice piece I am going to try it. There are times when a smaller BF would be just the ticket and I that blade should make them any size you want - I think :o

It might be a while...just another reason to clean your studio once in a while. After Linda and Debbi left I took my practice piece off and tossed it under the machine so I could get busy. Then I started to cut batting for my next project, and notcied that I had just cut though something....it was my quilt set zipper!! Lucky for me it was the one that goes on the quilt top, so I usually detach that one when I am quilting so it can go on the next quilt...If it's not one thing it's another!!

Archived