So frustrated! What do you do??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Nettie

Bonnie.....I am not sure who you would ask...the fabric manufacturer or the designer?? I just looked though and the fabric is licensed and it says for personal use only. Not commercial use.

Janette

Janette...when this stipulation is stated on the quilt selvage or on a pattern...the others are 100% correct, it is for personal use only.....not for financial gain, and I'm not to sure that doesn't include givings as gifts. It's for you personally, and a one time thing...not multi's or for profit.

Nettie, I can only echo everyone else. My goodness girlfriend, you did such an awesome job on those quilts. You should have charged her double. Hold your head up high and be proud. Anyone who knows anything at all about quilting talent will not pay her no mind.

I have been reading these comments to my husband and he is in total agreement with all of you that my prices are too low. I always seem to feel that my work isn't worthy for higher pricing. BUT........I am in the process of having some brochures done and will be changing my pricing. I work hard at what I do...as all of you know....quilting is not an easy business. It is fun but is alot of work!! I sure appreciate all the support you have given and I am going to get over feeling bad and get on with the business of quilting....the best job I have ever had!!!!:)

Janette

Originally posted by Nettie

the best job I have ever had!!!!:) Janette

Amen to that.....I don't think I could ever go work for someone else again.....for starters I'm to old...no one would hire me, even at 53, I would never get another job in Advertising, and not sure I really would want to. So its either McDonald's or quilting...I'll stick with what I know.:P;)

The quilting is beautiful and she definately got a good deal. I would have charged much more. If she wanted them for resale, she should have discussed this with you ahead of time so you could pick a less expensive type of quilting. Usually the buyers don't have a clue about the quilting. They don't want to pay what the quilt is actually worth because they do not understand what goes into a quilt. They think of target bed-in-a-bag quilts not an heirloom that will last for generations.

I've had people ask me to make them quilts and they really have sticker shock when I say ballpark figure is queen size starts at $1200 and goes up or down depending on size and type of pattern, etc. They have no clue that I can't even purchase the fabrics for what they'll pay at Target or Sears. When they compare, they see the difference. Then I explain the time, buying, pre-shrinking, cutting, sewing, quilting and binding. They start to become educated. I ask them if they are willing to work for so little per hour. Of course, they aren't!

I had one lady ask me if I could make her a reverse hand appliqued (king size) Hawaiian quilt. I told her I 'could' do that, but it would probably take a year to finish and she wouldn't want to know what I would charge for such work. She was under the impression it would take a couple of weeks.:P:P:P I told her I could do it, but that I WOULD NOT do it. I said it would probably be less expensive to fly to Hawaii and buy one. She knew they were expensive quilts because she just retured from Hawaii. She thought it would be less expensive to get someone to do a "homemade" one. Like it takes any less time! I offered to show her how to make the top and told her I would quilt it for her.:cool: I guess I'll never understand how people get the impression that 'hand crafted' or 'homemade' is somehow cheap or less quality. She was quite shocked!

I think you should print out this column and give it to her. That ought to shut her up.

This should help: THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR © ERIC CARLE LLC UNDER LICENSE TO ANDOVER FABRICS INC © FOR PERSONAL USE AND NOT INTENDED FOR COMMERCIAL SALE

Now shipping as a pattern (not magazine). This Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt pattern was featured in the May/June 2008 issue of Love of Quilting Magazine by Fons & Porter. Designed by Gail Kessler, this easy project is about 44 1/2" x 62 1/2" and features 1 panel in the center bordered by bright texture prints and the food border. Delight your little one with this quilt illustrating a favorite book. Brightly colored food and numbers help kids with words and counting.

Manufactured by Fons & Porter

Item Number: Hungry Caterpillar : Love of Quilting

Price: $7.00 per item

Fabric designed by Eric Carle. Quilt designed by Lynn Schmitt Cibulka.

I feel/think, were she really Up With It, she should have given a dollar amount for the max she wanted to spend on the quilting.. in other words Accept Responsibility for HERSELF.. Your quilting is beautiful, and price is NOT out of line.. that's her gizzard for her to swallow.. she knew ahead of time.. a comment in front of a gossip about defamation of character might help. Word would get back to her real quick.

I'm just so sorry you have to go thru this because of a selfish idiot.

I think Nettie quoted 1.75 (one and 75 hundreds of a cent), almost 2 cents.

I get so confused at times, I wasn't sure; had to go back and check more than once.

heading out the door, no new shower today.. Oldest daughter has her mobil home open to the elements.. so tomorrow she helps put in the new shower set up for us.

RitaR

Janette,

I'm still trying to get my jaw off the floor! Your quilting is spectacular and the stupid woman doesn't realize what a bargain she got. I can kind of see where she is coming from with the price she'll need to charge in order to make a profit, but that's her problem. I agree with everyone else. She should buy her own machine and see how easy it is to learn and how expensive the toys and lessons are.

I also agree with everyone else, YOU NEED TO RAISE YOUR PRICES!!!!

If this company is anything like Disney, she may find herself in some pretty hot water for trying to sell something that they license. Again, that's her problem now isn't it?

I hope you're feeling better about yourself and your quilting because you have a lot to be proud of.

Coleen

Janette,

Your work is wonderful! She's lucky that you did all of that for the price she paid.

I reread a book every summer break from work: The Four Agreements. One chapter is Do Not Take Anything Personally. When put into a life perspective - it's awesome to think about.

She has and will continue to have the problem of her negative words going out to others. Rita's suggestion regarding letting it drop to someone about 'defamation of charactor' super excellent!

You hold your head up, believe in yourself and as others have said - raise your prices!

Sylvia - thanks for finding the license item as shown on the selvage of the caterpillar fabric. We so often do not look at a selvage - just cut it off. I have just recently started to notice this but am sure have cut off this tidbit in the past. I do not make quilts for personal gain, so have never worried. But, as I type this, I have been hired to make 2 duvet covers this winter and I will ck all fabrics prior to including in the covers!! It is good that we are aware of this way of indicating a copyright. I do believe that it is ok to use for personal use and as a gift - just not for financial gain.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Plus---

She is obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree if she thinks she can 'hire' out the quilting, purchase brand new pre-made kits, and then sell the finished quilts for a profit. That just makes no sense whatsoever. Anyone that is in this industry knows that the business is in the selling of fabrics/books/notions/patterns/classes/quilting, etc. to QUILTERS-- not selling the finished product. The industry is built on the people that do the sewing---not the people that get the end product. Does this make sense?

Feel good about the job you did, raise your prices A LOT and say a prayer that she will figure out that her business venture makes no sense!

Jill Kerekes

As a retired attorney I would like to speak to the copyright issue. A copyrighted design, such as the "Very Hungry Caterpillar" line, may NOT be used for commercial resale without an additional licensing fee. The Fons & Porter mag. folks undoubtedly negotiated such a license when they put out their kits, and the cost is passed on the the purchaser of the kits. Buying the kit, or the fabric, from an authorized retailer allows the purchaser to use it for personal use, including giving it as a gift.

I do make quilts for resale, and if a customer wants to have a custom quilt made with a specific licensed fabric, I will either have the customer purchase the fabric herself or, as a part of my service, I can buy the fabric for her,pass on the cost to her, and use it in that quilt. I cannot legally make the quilt on my own and put it up for sale in a shop or online; nor can I use the leftover fabric for this purpose. In other words, I cannot make a profit on the fabric, although I can still make money on my work in piecing and quilting.

I can tell you that the Disney Corp. has a reputation of aggressively pursuing copyright violations. Some other companies to not have the resources to do this, so people might be able to get away with it, but copyright infringement is still stealing no matter how you look at it.

Janette, you are definitely not charging enough.

Merry Jo, I also make custom hand-made traditional Hawaiian quilts. I'd be happy to do your customer's quilt if she wants. I charge a minimum of $5,000 for a full-size quilt, and ask for a two-year lead time. Lap-size and wall hangings are, or course, less. King size would be more. So no, it is really NOT cheaper to fly to Hawaii, but at least I could save her the cost of the airfare.

Originally posted by Renae

Janette, you only charged her .0175 for custom work???

My exact thought when I first started reading your post! You have got to be kidding me. If I had done that quilt I would not have hesitated to charge .03 psi. Why do they insist that we give our talent away?! See, it is this kind of thing that makes me want to say....do it yourself on your DSM!!

Wow! Some people just don't know how good they got it! I would charge 3 cents too.

I've had a similar experience with a supposed "friend". She was having a new baby and needed a twin size "big girl" quilt for her first daughter. I told her that the fabric itself would cost over $100, plus more for quilting and me assembling it. BUT, as a GIFT to her, I would do the labor (piecing and quilting) for free, she would pay for material and the batting. She was OK! We shopped at Joann's for the majority of the fabric, which she paid. I had to buy 3 more yards for sashing somewhere else, plus the batting.

I gave her a bill of $49.79. CAN YOU BELIEVE, she had the gall to ask me if I INCLUDED the cost of the fabric that SHE paid for in that bill? WHAT?!?!? :mad:

I was like.. how can I bill you for something when I don't know how much you paid for it? On top of that, I gave her all the scraps back from the assembly. I have not talked to her since.

Some people will never understand and you just have to let it go.

Karen

I don't do custom, only my own and only since May. But, I think your quilting is beautiful and I would gladly pay more than what you charged her for that kind of work. Everyone wants everything for nothing. That's the way of the world these days. These quilters are right, move on and don't let her bring you down. She's lucky to have such beautiful quilts and you should be proud. I hope someday I can do as beautiful work. I just wouldn't ever do another for her, even if she begged. Just my opinion. I guess that is one reason I don't do custom. I enjoy reading this forum and what all you have to say and hints you share with us new la'ers.

Send her my name and email addy.. LOL< I have just the machine for her.. pretty Red one.. comes with side lights.. and speed control, electric plug, needles, bobbins, plans to build her own table.. I'm only asking $750.00 plus shipping and she could get her moneys worth in about oh____ years or so...

Really would love to sell it.. it's perfect for her.

RitaR

• 2 months later...

Custom quilting in our area starts at 5 cents per square inch. She GOT A DEAL and a STEAL by paying only .175 psi. Don't you feel badly about what you charged her.

She doesn't understand the amount of time and energy that goes in to custom quilting.

Raise your prices!:)

Archived