So frustrated! What do you do??

Janette,

I just wanted to add my support to you and say your quilting is really beautiful and I've never heard of anyone charging under 2 cents psi for custom. That customer is out of touch with the reality of the time and skill involved. I'm sorry you're second guessing yourself because she's hurting you. That's terrible . . . perhaps it would help to offer a trunk show and presentation to customers at your LQS to educate and help them understand more about longarm quilting. My friend Grammie Tammie did that and it helped quilt makers appreciate the work we do. All the best to you and never doubt how talented you are . . . charge more.

Warm Regards,

Suzanne Moreno, Digitizing Instructor, Designer

AutoSketch Book and Lessons

www.designstoquilt.com

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto to what everyone else has said. Plus if she wants to sell those, she needs to pay royalities to the company that owns the copyright to The Hungry Caterpillar.

I suppose if you were really nasty and you saw her trying to sell them, you could report her to that company, but I say just let it go. She won't do that much damage to you as others also must know from experience what a great quilter you at a great bargain price.

If anyone at the LQS says anything to you, I would make sure they know how much you charged and show them the same pics that you showed us.

For those of you who wish to create and sell quilts using patterns and fabric that is copyright protected: Yes, always ASK and GET PERMISSION from those who own the copyrighted items.

I will tell you from my own experience that I have made several (not very many) small Alaskan-themed table toppers (for sale at a local B&B) using copyrighted patterns but I contacted (via email) each and every one of the copyright owners of these patterns and asked their permission. Every single one of them said "Yes, thanks for asking." None of them wanted a commission from the sale*. Most of them requested that I not create and sell more than 10 or less than 20 per year. (Bottom line is, they don't want mass-produced items being sold using their patterns or fabrics). The term "Mass produced" means resale places like Sears or Walmart or JC Penney's or places that buy from factories using the fabrics and the patterns where these factories are making thousands and then selling to distributors. So, people like you and me making a few quilts on our DSM for resale each year is not their main concern. They don't want to open up a JC Penney catalog and see their pattern design or their fabric on something they didn't approve or get a commission on. Mass produced is not the same as you and me and a little DSM making a few quilts a year. Apples and oranges.

But the bottom line is, always .... no matter what or no matter how many... always ask for permission. It is the respectful thing to do. You will be surprised to know most everyone is flattered and glad you asked...and most says yes (but with a total number stipulation per year).

PS: My little Alaskan table topper quilts all have a label with the pattern name and who the designer is and the designer's web site. They always get credit on my labels. :)

*PSS: The only person I contacted who wanted a commission for my little table topper quilts was Pine Needles. They wanted 30%. I love the Pine Needles patterns, but they are very detailed (labor intensive) and really not what I would do for resale as it takes so much of my time...plus after all that work, I'd probably fall in love with it and I'd want to keep it for myself...LOL! ;)

Archived