Sign in to follow this  
DoryJM

Oregon Coast Quilt Shops

We're leaving Wednesday morning for our property up near Port Angeles, WA. We've decided to take the scenic route, so will be travelling on 299 to the Coast and then heading up from there. At this point, we're planning to go all the way up the west side of OR and WA (travelling through Forks--we are both hooked on the Twilight books:D).

I found a website with quilt shops on it from the Oregon Coast Quilt Run 101 (happening in 2/2009) and hope to hit several of them on the way up. You can find the page at http://www.joyofquilting.net/index_files/page0002.htm

So...for any of you that are familiar with these shops, are there any that I just shouldn't miss??

31aa6825bcf4092e5ea6a279f81d6ac8.png

Dorothy MillerAPQS Sales Representative

Crazy Horse Quilting

Sequim, WA

http://www.crazyhors...g.blogspot.com/

To Ride or Not to Ride...what a stupid question!!

Hi Dory -The quilt shop in Wheeler is one of my favorites. It's in an old store front (Wheeler is a very wide spot in the road, has a quiltshop and an antique store next door to it). Things aren't always tidy, but they have a lot of different fabrics there. and Jane's in Tillamook is just full of wonderful fabrics. The quilt store in Cannon Beach is small, but they also have every nook and crany full of fabrics. Those are the three that I'm most familuar with and would highly recommend them. Have a great trip up the coast. What a neat trip. :cool:

C9C76B5257D2C02397F9A72A2E02FC3D.png

APQS Millennium with Smooth M&M Wheels

Pat Noonan Design Studio, Custom Quilting

503-559-9686

pjnoonan@ymail.com

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Thanks, Patty Jo. I don't remember Wheeler, but I remember both Cannon Beach and Tillamook from my brief two-year stint living in Astoria. I was into tole painting then, so I never even thought of visiting a quilt shop. We're going to take two days driving up, so I'll try to be sure to make those shops. I'm trying to talk my sister into the actual shop hop in February, but I don't know whether I'll be successful.

Crazy Horse Quilting

Sequim, WA

Down in Lincoln City theres a quilt shop, in a little strip mall, called the Mercantile.. so friendly and loads and loads of mechandise from books to patterns to fabrics, etc.. Most all is quilt fabrics.

Then thers one in Newport.. right by the craft & antique store, west side of the highway, we think its Hiway 1.

I've heard theres a real nice one in Astoria, but we never found it.. and no, it didn't close.. just a different town/city to find the way around in.

RitaR

(take me with you.. I'm homesick!!!)

You're on Rita...you fly out and I'll do the driving for the shop hop!!:P

Astoria's shop is on 10th Street, down by the river. I'm hoping we make it there while its still open. I'm still partial to Astoria, although I missed the sun too much to ever move back.

Crazy Horse Quilting

Sequim, WA

The fabric shop in Wheeler is wonderful, but don't miss the antique shop there if you want an unfinished top. On Mary Beth's visit we went there and you need to dig and look, but there were tops everywhere in every condition and of every era. Have a great time! (Too bad you are going up the Wash. coast--you could have visited me and we would have gone to Bayside!)

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Originally posted by DoryJM ...We've decided to take the scenic route...

Boy howdy! A scenic route as there is no other!! Sure wish I was road trippin' with you! :cool:

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Be sure to hit the Tillamook Cheese Factory when you go through town. The ice cream is great! Also, there's a quilt museum in town, ask for directions at the factory. Have a great time!

Beth

Beth Durand

Elizabeth Originals Custom Quilting

www.eocquilting.com

beth@eocquilting.com

2006 APQS Millenium

Authorized APQS Dealer

I dont know anything about the quilt shops there but I love the Twilight series. Have you read The Host, written by Stephanie Meyers it is a great read!! I hope you take some photos in Forks! Oh ... and some great fabric shops too!!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the quilt shop in Lincoln City is closed. They tried to sell the business, but couldn't so closed the store. So between Newport and Tillamook, there is no longer any "quilt" shops, there is a JoAnn's in Lincoln city on the North end of town near the Safeway. :cool:

503-559-9686

pjnoonan@ymail.com

Dory I've done the 101 hop the last 3 years, had lots of fun. The shops mentioned earlier are on the North OR coast and were my favorites to.

My favorite South OR coast shops not to miss were, the one in Port Orford which has a great little eatery across the Street. And the shop in Bandon. The shop in Newport is one you won't want to miss either, has a great ocean view from the sales floor. The shop in Lincoln City has closed.

The Shop in Coos Bay has a Millie and a Lennie.

All the shops on the 101 hop are nice and all seem to be a bit different as far as fabric selections and focus.

Have fun and stop at the Seal Rock Fudge shop in Seal Rock for the Biggest Tillamook Ice Cream Cone on the Coast and the Best home made fudge.

Terry

Happy Quilting

Terry

I remember the Tillamook cheese factory when it really was a full tour - no class window - just walking through the plant - no ice cream in those days - just cheese! I was so disappointed the last time I went to have to look through windows to see what they did........ how old am I........... not saying!!!!

Have a great trip. The coast is so beautiful through Oregon and Washington. You will just love it - and the quilts shops are the best bonus.

Okay, everyone...a response in one easy e-mail!!

Linda, I will definitely check the antique shop in Wheeler for quilt tops...hadn't thought of that! I've actually been to Bayside (in Olympia, right?) Spent two hours there once on our way home--my DH is very understanding. I didn't buy a thing...there was just too much stuff that I wanted!:D However, I take many trips North, so stand by for company one of these times for sure!!

Shana, we're not leaving til tomorrow a.m.--catch a flight to Reno and come with us! You will have to share the backseat with our Borders, though. Hank and Chloe are very friendly, you'll like them.:D:D

Beth, I'm trying very hard NOT to eat the ice cream at Tillamook. I've lost 5 lbs and will gain 25 eating that ice cream:( Its the BEST!! I used to go there every few months when I lived in Astoria--I'm a sap for cows:D, and horses:D, and dogs:D Okay, pretty much anything with 4 legs and fur!:P:P

SewSoft, I'm on the third book in the Twilight series, my DH is reading the second. I have the fourth on hold at our local library and I'm praying they call today before we leave. I'll finish this one soon and I love them!! I hadn't heard about The Host, but you can bet I'll be reading it now too! Thanks!!

Patty Jo...no quilt shop was listed in Lincoln, so I won't have any idea what I'm missing. I hate when they close though...:(

Terry, I'm trying to talk my sister into the shop hop. Could be tough for her though, since she's already leaving for 2 weeks in April to climb some mountain. I'm hoping to do it...then I'll get to see ALL the shops.:)

Meg, I've only ever seen the cheese factory behind glass windows--probably some health regulation. The government ruins everyone's fun:mad: I can't wait to drive up the coast. Its the perfect time of year for it!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Crazy Horse Quilting

Sequim, WA

Have a very safe trip and enjoy all the quilt shops along the way. Love that trip too. The coast in fall is beautiful. :cool:

503-559-9686

pjnoonan@ymail.com

But..but...but....:o who's gonna stay home and take care of your ponies???

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Thanks, Patty Jo...we will.

Our neighbor takes care of the ponies...she's about a 1/2 mile away and it seems that she's either feeding ours or we're feeding hers off and on all summer. Its a good deal:D I pretty much refuse to leave town if she's not available to feed. I worry way too much!

After all...could you leave this cute face?? This is Emma Peanut, she's just a year and not spoiled at all...really:P:P

post--13461900343613_thumb.jpg

Crazy Horse Quilting

Sequim, WA

OK, I have not posted in a very long time. So, here is my 2 cents worth. Janes Fabric Patch on the South end of Tillamook. More fabric in one little house than any of the "big" stores in the Portland area. Jane is the ownere and very nice to talk with.

Janesfabricpatch.com

The quilt shop in Port Townsend has closed. If you want to stay at a very nice B&B on the water in Port Townsend I recommend the Commander's Beach House. http://www.commandersbeachhouse.com/

Very romantic and beautiful views from the front porch. Jim and Gail Oldroyd are two of the nicest people you will ever want to meet.

Have a great safe trip through the Northwest

Chuck

Portland

Have a very safe and wonderful visit to the Northwest.

LOL! Love the picture! Is Emma Peanut an Arab? She has "the look; the strut and the "I'm all that!" 'tude" that those Arabs are known for... :D

Hi Chuckster - I've been wondering where you were. Are you going to make it to our LA meeting on the 13th here at my place? We do have a new name, the "Moxie Machine Quilters Group" or MMQG or Moxie group. Hope that you can make it wonderful stuff planned. A class, a short talk and a demo. Let me know if you can make it. You can U2U me or e-mail me. OK - hope to talk to you soon.:cool:

503-559-9686

pjnoonan@ymail.com

And the chatters succeed again! I've just had a couple in here from Boise, ID, and we got to talking about where they were going from here. They are headed to the coast, so I looked up to see what people here were saying about the coast quilt shops. Thanks for the info. on the Lincoln City one, that's too bad. Best of all, I got to see Dory's pretty babies! What kind are they? I used to have an Arab, looked very much like your girl except for the stockings.

Have a safe trip!

Beth

Beth Durand

Elizabeth Originals Custom Quilting

www.eocquilting.com

beth@eocquilting.com

2006 APQS Millenium

Authorized APQS Dealer

You guessed in Shana...the Peanut girl is an Arab and she has the attitude to match. :D We ride endurance with them (except this year because of my back), so our "herd" is mostly Arab.

Chuck, thanks for coming out of the woodwork to recommend a shop. I'm going to try my best to hit the ones people are suggesting. There's a quilt shop now in PA, but the one in Port Townsend is a wine shop now. I couldn't figure out what had happened to it; the phone book still had it listed the first time I was there.

We have property just outside of PA, near Lake Crescent, and friends who let us stay in their cabin on Sequim Bay, so we don't usually splurge on B&Bs. I will, however, check that one out while we're at the Wooden Boat Show, which is the main reason we're going. My DH loves to sail. Thanks for the tips!

Crazy Horse Quilting

Sequim, WA

Hi Beth...yes, Emma is an Arab and so are the two pictured here. The one in front is her half-brother, Andy, and the one behind is Bailey (he's 1/2 QH). :D

Do you still have horses?

post--13461900345871_thumb.jpg

Crazy Horse Quilting

Sequim, WA

Awww! Peanut is a beauty and a cutie for sure! Your boys are handsome, too. Love the action shots you posted here. Yes, Arabians are really the perfect type of horse for endurance races. Strong and compact. Such big hearts; will do anything for you! I love hot blood spunkiness that those Arabs have, don't you? :) They're so sassy! Makes it fun.

Pet the ponies for me. :)

OK Dory well you have a terrific trip up the coast. Tell us all about it when you get home. Drive safe.

Shana....I knew there was a reason I liked you. I LOVE Arabs and you're right--they have such big hearts and love to go. I'm especially fond of mares; they're smart!

Okay, I'm off to bed...soon and then up the coast. I'll report in when I'm home...or maybe along the way if I have wifi.

Ps...

I gave the ponies kisses as well as pets from you. Now you're their favorite auntie!!:P

Crazy Horse Quilting

Sequim, WA