Hello from Louisiana

South Louisiana is a mess; again.

Power will be out for several weeks. My mom got power back yesterday afternoon. she has power, cable and internet. Her phone works but does not ring. My house has some damage but my DH shop has a tree right in middle of it.

The quilt shop is ok but we do not have power. My Millie and Freedom are fine, just lonesome. We may not get power back for several weeks.

Baton rouge is a big mess. We may have power to half the city in a couple of weeks according to the local power companies. FEMA was slow once again getting supplies in to the affected areas. As a matter fact BR is in need of diapers and baby food for families. National Guard troops are at the fuel stations with M16s b/c of tempers. Local hospitals are running on generator power. I will post pictures when I can. We are not sure when we can start cleaning up b/c we have power lines down in our yard and we still have to contact insurance.

I hope everyone stays safe from the other storms that are lurking.

Stay Safe,

Sandra

so glad to hear that everyone is okay. Sory about the mess and power outages. So I take it you are at your Mom's where there is power. good to have someone close by you can stay with till all is restored. We are looking at Hanna just missing us in SC, hopefully, but Ike looks like he could be a problem wherever he decides to go. what category was Gustav when he came on land? Is most of the damage from winds or flooding?

Sorry about your husbands shop but glad that your house is not too badly damaged. Good Luck. Jeanne

Sandra-

I am so sorry to hear this-I hope things don't take too long to get back to normal (or as close as possible) Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Dh & I are big Red Cross supporters-Hope some of that gets your way. If you need to get away, you are more than welcome here anytime. I will wrap you in a toasty warm quilt, serve you homemade hot chocolate and any comfort food you may want!! Please be carefull and take care of yourself!

Sewhappy

Glad to hear you are alive! Natural disasters like this can be nasty. Have you always lived where you are? I listened to a discussion on public radio:Pyesterday and they were asking people about why they live in places where natural disasters are common. Most people answered that they loved where they lived and the weather was just a part of life. To be without basic supplies like food, water, power, for more than two or three days can make life very uncomfortable as most of us are used to. But several weeks could cause a bad attitude about providence:mad:. I'm not suggesting that society should ban living in these areas--can you imagine no one living in the Bahamas because of hurricanes, and California vacated because of earthquakes, and Colorado/Utah mountain communities deserted because of too much snow in the winter?:o

We have the freedom to live where we want to:D, but we also have the responsibility to take care of what we have and be prepared for the worst. And sometimes we have to suffer loss.

I pray God will give you and those around you, the strength--spiritual and physical--to endure this loss and rebuilding.

I'm sorry that DH's shop is ruined:(, but I'm glad your Millie and Freedom are well.:)

Gustov was only a 2 when he came on shore. The problem was the size of the storm. The wind gust were over 100mph. This is the second largest storm damage wise. Only 2nd to Katrina. We did not have nearly the wind damage during Katrina. The problem with Katrina was not really directly related to the winds but to the breaking of the levee in New Orleans. Mississippi got most of the wind damage with Katrina. Our problem was the influx of people from New Orleans and the infrastructure of the city could not handle the traffic, the demand for supplies. We were without power for about 10 days with Katrina, 7 days for Rita.

This storm compares most to Betsy in '65.

We have three families living at my moms house right now. We just lost our stepdad on July 31. My dad died in 69. My mom and Sonny (stepdad) had been married nearly 35 years. He died suddenly from a massive stroke -- no symptoms.

Its been a tough year but we will make it. Luckily we have at least on place to gather and moms would be the best place all things considered.

Thanks everyone for your prayers.

Jeanne, be careful. Everyone here was focused on New Orleans and really Baton Rouge was hardest hit.

Can you believe we are still getting rain from Gustov. Now some of the rivers are flooding and people are evacuating.

Does anyone have an extra machine and bedroom and would like a house guest that know how to cook gumbo? Really that is about the only thing can cook!!

Take care,

Sandra

Sandra,

So glad you and your family are all alright, our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

My house is kind of a disaster zone right now due to some renovation, but I do have a spare bedroom and bath, just need to get all the stored fabric out of it. You are welcome to come stay and play on my machines. I'm not much of a cook though! :P

We are well prepared for hurricanes. My family is anyway. I remember Betsy, Camille, Audrey, Andrew, Allison (TS), Katrina, Rita and now Gustov. We have generators, always prepare way ahead with food, water and supplies. The problem here isthat many people only prepare for 2 or 3 days. We live in a rural area so I guess that is why we prepare. We did lose all of our freezer supplies during Andrew b/c we were not expecting to be without power for so long. Now we have 3 generators and plenty of gas to last about 3 weeks. The problem now is people are running out of gas for generators so they go to get gas and run out of gas waiting for gas. Does that make sense? Many fuel stores are not online b/c of power.

I really do not know if there is an answer. I could go home and be ok but by coming to my moms we use less fuel in the generators b/c we only have to hook up the freezer and fridge.

We grill a lot. We even had ribeyes the other night. We also have an outside kitchen with natural gas. We always have a large garden so we cook a lot in our outside kitchen. We also have a stocked catfish pond. So we are lucky. We have a lot of food that we can (jar) in addition to freeze.

I think some people just do not know how to survive in a crisis. You would think that people who grew up here would prepare for this.

Myself, I just do not like to rough it!!::( My idea of camping is a hotel. But, I am spoiled. I admit it!! Life without power, phone and internet just sucks!! But I am thankful for what I have.

Can't wait for camp Sue. I can make coffee without electricity. All I need is a fire:D:D.

I just heard that Ike is already a 5 so eveyone watch for the path. Mayb he will just disappear. I hope!!

Safe, Cool and Bored in LA

Sandra

Glad that you are all right Sandra. It is so hard to predict these storms, and harder yet to know which direction to go in to get away from it. Again, everyone was watching NewOrleans, so everyone got outta town this time, and then ended up in BatonRouge. And FEMA has to achieve 2 objectives. To stay far enough away that the things people will need will not be damaged - and close enough to get it to them in a very short amount of time. I wouldn't even want to try and be part of that decision of where to sit and wait out the storm. I'm glad you are all safe and that is the most important. :cool:

Come on over, chere, I will challenge you to a gumbo-cookin' contest! I have plenty machines to go around, too.

Thanks for letting us know. I have been thinking about you. I still have not heard from my people over there, so they are probably without power also. Take care, I hope you're up & running again soon.

Sandra,

So glad all is well with you! We didn't hear much after Gustav blew through. Looks like Hannah is mild right now...good thing as now it looks like it is coming on shore in NC, right above where my son is. Ike scares me...he looks really mean! I'm hoping a big wind comes and blows them all back out to sea. I'm with you on the hotel!!!!

Sandra, I was wondering if you were affected. Sounds bad. My MIL, SIL and "Ruthie" the dog are staying with us until their home in New Orleans has power. I believe Baton Rouge got worse than they did. They had trees down and shingles gone, but no structural damage. I hope your power comes back earlier than expected. My thoughts are with you.

Oh, Sandra, our thoughts are with you.... sorry you have to go thru this. I can't imagine although I grew up in a camping family... Dad was a scout when he was young and a leader later on... I learned a lot from those experiences. You learn to make do. Good thing, cause I sure seem to have to do that lately!

I hope the hurricane season ends soon!

I just found out that my shop might have power by tomorrow. Yea, now that will be a campout!!! How many of you would like to live in a quilt shop, temporarily? There is lots of fabric to pet.) We will be moving into the shop. I will sleep under my Millie or Freedom (Modree, Rubylee respectively). At home, well it looks like about 3 weeks if we are lucky. I doubt if many people will be buy to shop but at least I might be able to catch up on quilting!!!!!

Sandra

Sandra,

LOL is that what they call quilters heaven! I sure hope you don't have to wait 3 weeks to get power!

We're watching Hanna - supposed to hit Wilmington which is where my son is. He is about 15 minutes from the beach. So far it is staying a tropical storm and hopefully that is all it is. I definitely will not like being on this end waiting for a call! Ike is really scaring me!

Sandra, I'm so glad you are all ok! We stayed, but were watching till the last minute just in case Gustav decided to take a trip west. We got a little sprinkle, and a little wind but it just did this big curve around the Houston area and missed us completely! I did hear that my uncle is in the hospital in BR, have not heard how that went.

Praying for the East Coast! Y'all stay safe!

Sorry that you going through another hurricane but glad that everyone is safe. These things are no fun.

I found during Rita that the most difficult thing to deal with wasn't no Electricity but the " HEAT" is a killer. It was and is so hot and AC is a necessity in South.

Hope things progress for all of you in Louisiana. Everyone here wishes you the best.

No more Hurricanes in Colorado. I won't miss them at all. I'm sick of them. Each year it seems they are worse and worse and so much devistation around every year. You just gotta love living in some of these MOST hit regions of the south and southeast. I just couldn't do it. Rebuild and Rebuild. Not for me. I'm sure I will prefer the HEAVY Snow. I'm sure.

God bless you all.

Hi Sandra,

Glad you're at least dry and have internet access! Hopefully no damage to your shop. At least living in a quilt shop is like candy, but not fattening! How many quilts will you be inspired to make? I hope its just the roof that was damaged in DH's shop.

Seems like they say the worst damage is from the flooding afterwards. I recall the Miss. flooding about 10ish yrs. ago, and my exterminator went to help and said that people had snakes in their walls due to the flooding.

We have moved around the country and been through or near tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, fires, blizzards, and hurricanes. It seems every place has its natural disasters. The key IS to be prepared for the worst, hope for the best. Sometimes my family actually laughs at my preparations. I have 30 5 gallon bottles of water (earthquakes), etc. We have lost electric due to blizzards for a week, had do be dug out so we could open the door, more than once--it gets cold! Shoveled the roof so it wouldn't collapse while my kids skied off of it.

My big surprise from your post is that we certainly haven't heard all of this...It was like the media saw that New Orleans wasn't getting hit, so, media coverage has been scarce. I would hope that electric will be quicker to go on than in 2 weeks. Sometimes I think they tell you the worse so you're surprised when it comes on earlier. Keep us posted.

Its a time when people/family really pull together, and community spirit soars. I sure hope that is the case where you are, and that people are keeping their patience, grace, and wits. Getting back to normal takes time, its not instantaneous. I did see where traffic getting back was an issue. I recall a ski trip in VT when the electricity was off for most of the trip, but they got a lift to work by generator. Before that we just walked up part of the mountain and skied down. We had no heat. Everyone pooled their food, etc. My kids still have fond thoughts over that.

My best to you and your family.

I know it is tough not to have power and get to play with your Millie, but at least you all are fine and your machines were not damaged. I guess we have to count our blessings and be patient when you think of how much worse it could have been. Take care and hang in there, we will be praying for you and all your community. Janet

Sandra,

So glad you're OK! CNN weather has been keeping a good watch on all this mess and did show the damage in BR. I know a great Sewing teacher there, Cynthia Guffey, and was so praying that she and her family are OK. She's had her share of trouble without hurricanes and tornadoes complicating things. But, I guess that goes for lots of folks.

I'll put the word out to the gals on the 2nd swap to keep an eye on the weather down south. The box goes to Jolene in FL pretty soon, then to Connie in VA, back to Lisa M in ST Cloud, FL and then to you, Sandra. Maybe we should do a bypass to WI and see what's going to happen with Ike.

Anyone reading this whose on the #2 swap let me know what you think.

In the meantime, I'm going to check and see about those baby supplies for BR. Poor little darlings gotta have food and diapers and clean water for everyone. With this economy I'm sure it has to be really difficult for folkks to buy extra stuff when they can barely buy week to week.

How about a group prayer for strength and caring strangers to help those in need ((( Hear our prayer, oh Lord))

Archived