Hick Chick 2 - Coyote Ugly

Okay, I did another quilt from leather carvings. It's a small one, and I kept the pattern large so it was pretty quick compared to the first one.

This one is the carving from a wallet. I just substituted the horse head in the center of it for a picture I took of my mom many years ago.

I did it the same way as the first one (quilted it with dark thread and then inked the background with black Marvy markers. I used crayons to shade the dark spots on the leaves that are still transparent. The Photo is printed on Bubble Jet Set treated fabric).

I picked the name Coyote Ugly, because I love the contradiction of it. To me coyotes are anything but ugly, but as a country girl I do know the origination of the phrase, that you go to bed with someone (usually because you're drunk) and wake up the next morning and realize they are "coyote ugly". Meaning you'd rather chew your own arm off then wake them up as you leave.

I think the same is true of this picture. While the facial details are so indistinct that you really can't tell what she looks like, she might possibly be ugly, the attitude portrayed is proud and beautiful.

Thanks for looking.

post--13461900350276_thumb.jpg

You sure are awesome Tracye. I love your leather work but now I'm wondering when you are going to write your book like Sherri Rogers-Harrison so you can teach us and show us your secrets????? :):)

It is just fascinating to me how you do that, I really would like to know.......I love the first one you did also. You are very talented. You go girl!!!;););)

Renae

Thank you guys sooo much!!!!:D

That's too funny Sherry, "cut out" for it. I do enjoy the leather stuff a lot.

Renae, I need to perfect the proccess a bit before I would have anything to offer in the form of teaching anyone else. Right now there's still quite a bit of hair pulling. :P

I told Jo Ann I want to put her and her new avatar in a Hick Chick quilt! I think it would be perfect!

Kenna both Hick Chicks just got home from the state fair, and the first one was laid out a lot before and after hanging, and people couldn't stop touching it. It made me a bit nervous since I needed to send it to Houston the day after I picked it up, and I wouldn't have a lot of time to clean it up. It turned out okay though.:)

I do have an idea for my next one.....think chick on a motorcycle :P

Tracey you are so incredibly talented.

I can see you teaching this technique. I love the results and creativity behind it.

YOU GO GIRL!

Maybe you would be my first "RETREAT" What do you think everyone? Would that be a great Small CLASS.

I'm loving that idea.

Love ya,

Grammie Tammie

Amazing once again. But then I never doubted that you wouldn't continue to amaze us after your Hick Chick 1 was posted. Now the one on the motorcyle, are you going to get a pic of Sue P for that one? You know she would probably be wearing a pair of her famous cow girl boots. That would fit right in.:cool:

Tracye, I had to show everyone at the state fair your quilts while we were in the Creative Arts building. It was fun to explain to them how it was constructed. I didn't remember seeing this one at the judging, but when there were 2 judges, it was hard to see "everything". But, it sure caught my eye when I saw it in the display case!! My DH has asked when I will do one. (he LOVES your Hick Chick 1!!) Looking forward to seeing more of your work!!

Kelly Kreft

Grammie Tammie you can count on me at that Retreat!!!

Tracye maybe you will have another one done by March??? Can't wait to see it, you are another one that is truly an artist! I would like to take a class from you and learn anthing you have to offer about what you do to make you quilts like that. I love your work! It is fantastic!!

Renae

Oh girlfriend you ROCK!!! Go put on that CD, grab a 'rita and celebrate your awesome talent. Now a mo'cycle chick. Yeah, baby. Wish I still had my Harley. So ya gonna use Sue or Karen as your model? I can see Karen's dreads blowing in the wind done in wayyyyyy too cool metallics too ala Sherry's fab work. Can't wait to see it. Hey, Tammie, sign me up for the retreat. Not that far to drive from Idaho!!

Nancy

You guys are too funny!!! Thank you for all the kind words.

Tammie you'll have to let me practice on ya when you get here. I know you'll be honest with me... though I'm afraid I can hear it already. "Honey, ya got the right idea, but you need a bit more organization to your chaos before we can follow ya". :P

I'll work on it though, I promise!!!!

Kelly it's so awesome to see your face!!!! Especially in front of your fantastic quilt. That one won a blue ribbon didn't it? And isn't your hair shorter than at judging? Or do I just need a slap? Okay, don't answer that last one.

I have some pictures I took of a friend of mine in infared on her bike a few years ago. I was planning on those, but I'd love for one of the wild women to pose for me one day!

Archived