change size of panto?

I have a panto that would look great on a little quilt but the actual design size of the panto seems big. If I have purchased the panto, is it ok to resize without infringing on copyright laws. Do not want to change the panto, just the resize (make smaller) so it would be in better proportion to the fabric design and quilt. Since most panto come in just one size, I could see this issue coming up periodically. It would seem easier to do this than look for another panto.

Also, what are the issue if one takes a panto and adds to or takes away from the design for a different look?

Hey Meg,

It is my understanding that once you purchase the panto, it is yours to use as you like. You can change it however you wish, just so long as you don't claim it as your own design. You still have to give the original designer the credit. Now, I say, kudo's to you that you can even figure out how to resize. :D

Originally posted by meg_marsh

I have a panto that would look great on a little quilt but the actual design size of the panto seems big. If I have purchased the panto, is it ok to resize without infringing on copyright laws.

Hi Meg, this all depends on the designer. Check to see what is written on the panto paper. Jodi Beamish will resize it for you - I believe her pantos say you are not allowed to resize it yourself. If in doubt, e-mail the designer and ask.

Agree! Always read the fine print on the actual (original) pantograph or pattern--or book. Sometimes it varies. It seems that some owners are OK with you resizing and some are not OK with you resizing.

On a personal note, when I have a question or request permission, I have contacted the owners of the copywrited material through email and I have been pleasantly surprised at their generosity; most say YES! And, they all appreciate me asking permission first. I would say that most are OK with it as long as your intended purpose is used respectful of the copyright. It's nice that you ask permission and they appreciate the respect you give them.

Hi! A good rule of thumb I find (and it is just a rule of thumb, not a definitive answer) is that if I need to make a copy of something to change it then I need to get permission, if I can do it without making a copy then thats OK.

So if to make it smaller you need to photocopy it or scan it into your computer and reprint it then you would probably need to get permission, but if you wanted to do something like make leaves fatter and you could just freehand the leaves fatter as you were following the original pantograph around then that would probably be OK.

Hope that makes sense!

Susan

• 7 months later...

Archived