Quilt Preparation

I'm working on my 7th customer quilt and am wondering how much time it generally takes normal (meaning everyone but me!) LA quilters to get a quilt set up and loaded on the machine. I find I spend too much time with pressing and clipping threads, even when the customer has brought it to me "pressed and clipped". Not to mention the time actually loading the quilt on the machine. Am I too picky? I hate to have threads show through and would really hate to have creased quilted in. I drive myself nuts! Do you all load the quilt as is even with folding creases? Any tips would be appreciated! Also, do you charge extra for the additional pressing when they have brought it to you pressed but it has the folding creases? Help!

Hi Robin - Most of the time, I load the quilt as they brought it to me, unless something is really bad, a large fold, or a lot of threads. I may clip threads and re-iron the first quilt that they bring me, but I let them know that they really need to do this before they bring it to me. If I have to do it again on their next quilt, I'll charge them something to do it. Maybe not much, but so it will hurt their pocketbook a bit if they don't. I'm not a perfectionist, so maybe it's easy for me to do, but if you are a perfectionist, you would probably spend a whole lot more time than I do on it. I'm sure that there are many more opinions out there. As far as time spent on loading a quilt. I use zippered leaders and I use my DSM to baste the zippers onto the backer. From start to finish, it takes me maybe 15 min to attach zippers & load the back, another 10 min to cut the batting and baste it down and another 5 min to baste the top in place. So about 1/2 hr tops. I hate pins and my blood doesn't look good on any fabric so, that's why I got the zippers.:cool:

Yep, I agree with Patty Jo, but I'm not a perfectionist by any stretch of the imagination :) I almost laugh just typing it :D:D Loading takes me about 1/2 hour too. I don't clip threads unless it is painfully obvious. If they are much of a quilter and want their top to look good when I finished, they should know that threads need to be clipped when they are making the top. I agree, too, with Patty Jo about pressing, unless it really needs it, and then I will probably just press the big fold or whatever. I don't press the whole piece.

I don't like blood either and I too have zippers. I use my little Willcox and Gibbs machine to stitch the sippers to the back and top. Since it is a chain stitch it pulls right out when I'm ready to take it out.

Often I think that loading and preparing the quilt to be quilted takes more time than the actual quilting. I'm kinda particular because I like to make sure all the seams are lying flat on the roller, that the seams are straight, and that any stray threads are clipped (the dark ones that might show through light fabrics) and if there is hair or dog fur or something like that, I take a lint roller to it.

I've timed myself - approx 40 minutes from start to ready to quilt, depending on the size of the quilt, of course. That includes loading the proper threads, checking tension, etc. And there are definitely times when I spend more time putting it on and taking it off that all the quilting time!:P But it's still fun! Mostly....;)

Meg, I baste across the top of the batting to hold it until I get the top on, then I baste the top of the top, and down each side just to the bar (I float my top so it doesn't have a zipper on it at all). I quilt that section, then advance my quilt and again baste down both sides, quilt that section ....repeating as I go to the end. The last advance, I baste both sides, and then the bottom, then quilt that last section. I hope that helps. I'm not sure if this is the "right" way, but it is the way that I do it.:cool:

In reply to Patty Jo's question. I pin the backing on to the pickup leader from center out and then pin the batting over that when filling in the pins. Does that make sense? It's hard to explain this stuff in writing! Then I put on my channel lock and run a straight line across both to line my quilt top up with . And sometimes if there is little batting to spare I pin my backing on to the leader and butt the straight edge of my batting up to the leader and baste it on. Gosh, thanks for your quick replies. I can tell already that I'm too picky! It's a problem I have. I can't wait til I get home tonight to see more! ;)

I'm looking forward to it, too - gotta get some quilts done to bring for Show & Tell. And Nancy called me this morning - we're spending all day Friday at EE Schenk - never been there, so it'll be an experience!

Can hardly wait to see all youse gals for my first time!

I usually take about 20 minutes to load. I got a tip from Jessica Schick about stapling your backing to the leader. On gammills, the zippers have a 6 inch leader (piece of canvas) and that is what you pin the backing to. It zips off just like normal.

So I pin (corsage pins because Gammill leaders are pretty thick) the bottom of the backing onto the leader on the bottom roller about every 8 - 10 inches. Then I go back and staple the backing to the leader. It goes pretty fast. I do the same with the top of the backing on the take-up roller.

When I am done, I can just pull the quilt off, leaving the staples in the leader (to clean up later) or I can use a staple remover that looks like a bent knife to remove the staples.

Over time, the leaders will wear and get flimsy. I will just fold them over to make a 1 inch seam, stitch them up and have a 5 inch leader. ;)

Since I do a full float, I don't pin my quilt top to a roller. I don't think it would be a good idea to staple a quilt top. :o

I use my channel locks to attach first the batting and then the quilt top to the backing. I pin baste the sides. And then I am ready to go.

I like to get my bobbins ready in advance, while watching TV. Gammill bobbins cost $3.00 (yikes) so I only wind the current and the next quilt's bobbins ahead of time. I make DH pull left over thread off the bobbins. I

Ok - I do it like you PJ - was taught to pin top onto leader but like to float better. I keep a practice piece going that I quilt all the way around as soon as I get it on so I can zip on and off as needed. Really glad now I use the zippers because I have to send Miss Ribbit to the factory and the loaner isn't here yet - will be Monday - in the mean time, took off the good quilt (basted all the way around) and just playing with practice pieces. Whatever acts up on the practice piece, don't care and don't have to take out. Mike, at APQS is thinking I might have a bad transformer and they are better at replacing that than I would be. Would have to take all the circuit boards out and that sounds like a job!!

I also take my time when loading - If I do that right then I feel everything else will be better.

Thanks, everyone!

I take about 30-45 minutes now that I use the stapler to attach things...before with pins would be well into an hour. I don't press unless necessary, and I do check to make sure seams are sewn well, because I have sewn myself in to more than a few quilts over the years and I hate that...longest time to get back out was almost 9 hours.....had to totally walk away and go to the movie and come back...it really made me mad I buried the foot in so tight you couldn't even see it.

I still use a partial float...l feel I can keep better tension on the top if I do it this way...and I hate to step on the quilt while it laying on the floor...or it was pinned and fell down. I do like PattyJo...baste the top and then each side to the front bar and then baste each side as I start to quilt that row...and then baste the bottom when its released from the pins or staples, in my case.

I don't iron, UNLESS its major, and I'm more prone to just starch and steam the whole top and not have to worry about something going wrong half way down the quilt.... for little wrinkles...they stretch out when I roll the quilt, or if they are stubborn I will get the iron out and steam them in place. I RARELY clip threads...if they are going to be so lame about it why should I go the extra to clip threads off the back...I will clip threads on the top as I go...

And if they continue to come in with really bad wrinkles or major threads, I do also like PattyJo...I mention the next quilt will have a $45.00 fix it charge....so far haven't ever had to charge anyone.

I don't press anything unless there is a really bad crease or wrinkles. As Bonnie said, the backer will have tension on it so crumples will not be a problem. I don't look for threads to clip but if there are threads apparent as I advance I will reach in and move them as I go.

I load the backer, lay on the batting, do a full float of the top, run the foot across the first border seam with the channel lock on to adjust it straight, pin the top and batting down, mark the first side-border seam placement on my top leader (which I do not use)--I do this so I can control where the top lays as I advance, smooth everything and pin baste the sides. A half-hour is all it takes me. Take as much time as you need to load. It is an important step--but you will get faster at it as you progress.

I have zippers and have never put them on. Every time I read about them I swear I will get going on them, but I never do!

(Barb and Nancy Jo--Fabric Depot has 40% off fabric and 30% everything else on Friday and Saturday. If you wait until Sunday you won't get the extra discount but you will miss the crowds!)

Robin,

I ditto what the others have said but wanted to add a couple of tricks I've learned about the dreaded wrinkles.

1. If it's really bad, I still load it on the frame and then I take my portable steamer and lightly steam it into submission.

2. If it's not too bad, (one or two folds from the quiltermaker in transport) I learned this trick from Sharon Schamber. Use a can of spray starch and lightly spray the wrinkle. It really works! And if nothing else, it smells good!

Good luck! You'll get quicker in no time!

Now Linda, don;t go making me do Crowds. When Linda says crowds, she really means CROWDS. We are going to go to the Trends show on Friday, which really means we are booked into 3 classes all day Friday. How fun. I haven't been able to take a fun class in a couple of years. It'll be a fun girls days out as Brenda Lee is the one that set it up. Watch out world!!

Linda, you can also order online at 35% off everyday and I just have them hold my order at the store, then I pick it up and no tax, no shipping, and best of all no CROWDS. Hahahaha:D:D:D:D:D

See you in 8 days, Moxie quilters.

Oh, and to the point, I do exactly what Patty Jo does. Works every time. No puckers, no flipped edges, just fun quilting.

Nancy

Archived