Business advice

Hi All, I need some advice. I have finally gotten an "in" with the local sewing store, as the other longarmer they had quit. The lady told me to bring business cards and pamphlets for her customers, which I have no problem doing; but here is the dilemma. The other quilter was charging .018 cents per square inch. I have my prices figured a little differently. I think I am way undercharging, but I don't feel it would be fair to charge a bunch as I've only been doing this for 6 months and only 2 customer quilts so far. Would you all please take a look at my prices on my website and see what you think? Thanks, Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

[Quilting Services Page

Teresa,

I have been longarm quilitng for 4 1/2 years now and when I started I was charging $.01 per square inch for a queen size quilt that is 90x108 the price would be $97.20 and that is for pattern quilting. Custom quilting started at $.02 per sq. in which equals $194.00 Since i started I've raised my prices slightly. Pattern quilting starts at $.0125 per sq. in. We also have a minimum charge for small quilts of $50.00 My mom gave me the advice that start your prices at about what you want to earn per hr. and go from there.

P.S. your website is really cute!!

Hope this helps,

Angie

(Sue Schmieden's daughter)

Hi Teresa,

Many people seem to agree that it is difficult to raise your prices. So, I would advise setting them at what you want to make. As a beginner, you probably won't be offering as much as you will with more experience. You obviously feel comfortable that your skills are ready to be marketed or you wouldn't be taking customers. Why would you not charge adequately if your quilting is adequate? Undercharging would only make sense if your quilting is inferior in some way, and you wouldn't have many repeat customers if that's the case. Also, if your customer base is accustomed to paying the higher prices, they may question your abilities if you undercharge. Many people believe you get what you pay for and undercharging may tend to make them see your efforts as being inferior, even if they are not. Personally, I think you are fortunate knowing what your market will bear price-wise.

Kay

Hi Teresa-

I agree with Lottie and Kay. You definitely should start out listing your prices where you want them to be and offer a discount for the first few months. You could actually incorporate your web site by having a discount coupon WITH a deadline date (never leave it open ended) that the client can print out and bring to you. You should also raise your prices every year to go along with inflation and the added experience you can now offer. Only you can know what your geographic area can bear for pricing, but my all over pricing is .018/sq inch and custom STARTS at 0.022/sq inch. That only puts me in the low-middle bracket for my area-- Suburban DC, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia. Hope this helps.

Sheri

I would like to add before you set your prices, to research how close is the competition, and does your area support what you are charging. Also I have my pricing per inch, but when I redo my flyer, I am going to change to a per square yard, for some reason it is easier for people to understand, and some of the other longarm quilters are going to that pricing around here.

Archived