Squaring up your quilt with the longarm.

I have the pink centering tape and haven't figured out how to secure it anywhere. I have a 14' table and the tape seems to be too short.:(

I do have other tapes with the center point marked "0" which I have attached to my leveling bar with small magnets which seems to work. I really liked the idea of the pink tape with the adjustable markers - just can't figure how to use it. The Directions say you can stitch it to your leaders but I use zippers and really don't want to do that. Any suggestions?

Hi Sue,

I have a 14' table too and I use my pink centering tape all the time, I love it and the adjustable markers are awesome. I have my tape stretched across my frame next to the quilt top roller (which I hardly use as I float my tops). My centering tape is not attached to my leaders but it is attached to the frame on both ends with clips, the kind you get at a stationary store, metal springy kind. What I did was stitch about 12" of twill tape right onto the ends of the tape, basically extended the ends and I wrap that around the frame ends and snap the clip onto it. The only probelm I get when I advance and roll back my quilt alot with the fabric advance is that you have to be careful that the markers do not get caught up on the pieced top as that will knock/stretch my centering tape off center. I just periodically check that my "0" lines up with the center on my leaders. Works well. I tried putting velcro on the ends and attaching it to the frame but did not work because the tape moving as I advance the quilt and kept pulling off the velcro...mind you I only used a piece of velcro about 3/4" long.

I can post a pic if needed, just let me know.

Thank-you JoAnn!

That's how I have attached my centering tape...obviously I followed the instructions on the package when I bought my tape way back when. I tried putting the velcro on my frame as in the second example above but that did not work well for me, however that may work for others. I use the binder clips as example three, only I sewed extenders to the ends of my tape to wrap around the frame ends.

I use Nadia Wilson's temporary clamps to mark the edge of my quilt top. I float my tops so I don't use the top take-up roller Thats where the clamps are. I use the channel locks to baste down the batting, and then use that stich line to line up my top.I centre the top to the centre of my leaders and pin in place along the stich line. Then I baste . The temporary clamps mark the edge of the top and don't move. I find it easy to keep my top straight that way. I am still new to all this, so if there is flaw in my method, please tell me now!

I bought the temp clamps for another purpose, but I find they work great for this!

OMG! Kerry I never even thought of that! What an excellent idea. I will have to try it with the top I have on my machine now. See those clamps are so versatile! I have used painters tape on my roller, but the clamps make sooo much more sense.

The clamps Kerry is referring to are made by my other half....you can see them at...

http://www.nadiawilsondesigns.com/shop/product/temporary-longarm-roller-clamps/

I sell them from my website. Thanks for the input Kerry!

Archived