Simply Quilts / Rumors

CherylUribe

Yes, the rumors are true. As of yet HGTV has not renewed Simply Quilts and does not seem as they will. I wonder if HGTV realizes that Quilting is a 5 BILLION $ a year industry? I will be writing them in the hopes that they will re-think keeping SQ on the air. It may be put onto DIY, but not everyone gets it this channel. I would also like new shows and not just re-runs!

Lets hope that they change their mind!

Cheryl

Cheryl,

That is a bummer & in my opinion a very bad business decision!:(

I am sure after they hear from the all the viewers & their ratings go down they will reconsider!

That was one of the few programs that I recorded, tell Alex she can come & quilt with us, as we love her!;)

Now this is bad news! Simply Quilts is what got me interested in quilting in the first place, and making me wanting an APQS machine to finish them :)

If there is no SQ then just think of all those others that may never learn how to quilt!

DIY already runs episodes of SQ but our cable company refuses to carry the DIY network.

Joann

That's not good! I remember when HGTV cut back from two shows per day to one and we all bombarded them with e-mails and petitions. They surely didn't seem to listen then but you would have thought they would have realized how much we love SQ and how dedicated we are.

I wonder what their reasoning is. Surely it isn't lack of viewers. If it's lack of sponsor interest, maybe we should be lobbying the fabric, batting, thread companies, etc. for their support.

Makes you wonder how some of the shows that seem so worthless stay on and something like SQ struggles for their spot.

In Canada HGTV dropped Simply Quilts two years ago already and I can't get the US HGTV channel. I wrote emails, phoned them and several times. They just say they are not going to carry it but will put in my wishes. I was thinking that maybe if Alex Anderson sells the yearly episodes on a CD I should purchase it as I can only get Kaye's Quilting now. There used to be Quilt Central and Eleonor Burn's show that I could get too but now......

Cher

I just wrote to HGTV and complained about their choice. I was startled this morning when I turned to watch Simply Quilts and found another issue of Room by Room. At the time I thought it was just because of Christmas. I know Alex has a stash of programs, and I also know we can purchase all her programs and play them when we want, but it was nice to watch the quilting progam and get ideas of more tops. I will miss HGTV, but I am fortunate to be able to see Alex on DIY in the afternoon, if I remember to stop quilting long enough to watch.

Maybe if we ALL write in and e-mail to tell them how much we love the show they will hear the voice of thousands and have to keep it on the air, and maybe just maybe if we are lucky here in Canada they will put it back on the air here again. I would love to have some contact info if anyone has it. I think a letter from all the guilds we belong to with all the members names on it might go a long way. I have over 200 in one of the guilds I belong to, oh and have your local quilt shops have customers sign a letter as well. Hay... we are quilters... this means we want what we want and usually find a way to get it. If anyone out there has contact info please post it and lets see what we can do to keep Alex on the air.:cool:

I'm just sick that HGTV has taken Simply Quilts off the air.

That show was such an inspiration to me personally. I had come from a sewing background years ago and while watching SC's, I saw that "I can do that" and it lead me down the path eventually to purchasing my APQS and having a home business.

I will miss Alec and Simply Quilts a lot.

Linda B.

Oregon

APQS Millie

I get DIY, fortunately so I will continue to just watch those episodes. HGTV think about this....I was watching SQ on HGTV when she featured Eleanor Burns. I fell in love with the quilt she featured so I went to her site, ordered the book and ruler she used, then I spent $106. at my local quilt shop. Think about how many other quilters watched that show and did the same. Taking her show off the air will surely cause an economic crisis! (Ok maybe not that bad)

Joanne

NY

APQS MILLIE

I too was surprised that it wasn't on, but just thought it was because of my TIVO was acting up....I went to Alex's site and she has schedules for both HGTV and DIY for the WHOLE month of December. Guess I will just sit and hold my breath while they decide what to do. Alex and a cup of tea have been a morning thing for way longer than I can even remember and I use to rush home for lunch "When I was working a 8-5 job" to have lunch with her on the DIY channel....grrrrrrrrrrrr. I wonder if we all bombarded them with emails if it would do any good. I use to work in radio and sometimes that did work....just look what it did for Howard Stern when the FM stations threatened to take him off, it was the public that got him back on. :P We should try.

Bonnie

This morning, HGTV ran an episode of SQ at the normal time slot. I don't know if it is cancelled or they just missed last Friday. I will tune in tomorrow and see if they are still showing SQ at 8:30 am. Keep the emails going to HGTV so they know there are real people watching the show. THis gives them a selling point for advertisers.

Paul Hiller

Village Quilter

I wrote HGTV on Friday and niceley 'threatened' a campaign of asking all quilters to write to them and voice their displeasure. However, what will work is writing to the companies that advertise on HGTV and threaten a boycott of their products if they continue to advertise on HGTV until SQ is returned to the air. You gotta hit these people where it hurts--their pocketbooks. And, by the way, I have been successful with this in the past. I just haven't taken on someone as large as a television company. However, there are a lot of quilters out there and if even half of them repsond appropriately, we will be listened to.

Deborah McVay

Bloomsbury, NJ

Hi guys, I am at Cheryls house right now..........:0)

It looks to me that last friday was a holiday special. Tomorrow I have scheduled phone conference with the Director of programmng at HGTV. Hopefully I can find out exactly what is going on. They have not ordered new shows to date, and I have no idea what the relationship will be with DIY. Cheryl will keep you posted.

My best,

Alex :0)

This surprises me that they'd even consider taking the quilting shows off...

and I wouldn't care if they did re-runs half the time....I could listen to them over and over....I don't get near as much out of watching someone roll clay around into a ball and stick it into their oven, paint a face on it and give it apair of shoes and put a name on it....I WANT TO SEE QUILTING!

I read where there are 5.5 million quilters in the US...is that possible? I think so and it is shows such as this that influence, teach and inspire us all.

I hope someone comes up with a slick trick to keeping the shows on the air.

ML

I sent an e-mail to HGTV Fri. when I heard they were not going to continue with Simply Quilts and voiced my displeasure. I have enjoyed her show for a very long time and find it informative and interesting. The nice thing with HGTV is being able to go to the web site and download directions, I have not been able to do that with DYI.

Barbara

Alex, thanks for logging on and updating the forum. I know I absolutely love Simply Quilts and cannot count the number of ideas, techniques, and wealth of quilting info I have gotten over time! I thought boycotting advertisers was done to protest the show's content. I'm not exactly sure how one goes about boycotting a cable channel without just getting rid of cable alltogether....I guess complaining to HGTV is about all we've got right now. I certainly will. :(

i have been watching Simply Quilts since I came home from the hospital in 2000. I rarely miss an episode and have taped several shows. I hope this is all a mistake. I was upset that they reduced it to one show, now i'mm equally disappointed. Who do ew contact to have it remain on and even put it back on twice a day. I love Room by Room too, but I have been wanted to quilt again for 7 years and I just bought some supplies to do it again. In fact, i just signed up with Quilt U on line to take a course. My goal is to get a quilting business.

Archived