Starting & Finishing off stitching

Marie E

Hello again from Tasmania, Australia

As I only have a Janome 1600P on a frame, whilst I await my dream longarm, what is the best way to secure my stitching? I've tried pulling my thread to the top and after the quilt is removed from the frame tying them off and threading back into the batting - I'm currently using my needle up and down a few times which also seems to work however I'm wondering what is the best and quickest way. Thanks in anticipation

Marie E.

:o

Well your letter arrived here in the states at 4:38 AM so I suspect a few of us were still snoozing. I'm an early riser so I'll help answer question first.

I use both methods you described. It all depends on the quilt......what it is for......show or bed, etc.

I lock my stitches... bring my thread to the top. take tiny (2-3) stitches to begin and as I end I slow down and take several tiny stitches and pu;; bobbin thread up to the top and cut.

Show or heirloom quilts I bury my threads like you.

If you search this site there are far better desciptions listed than I have given. I believe Myrna Ficken has the best on this subject I have read and do use her technique.

Hope you get your LA soon. Let us know.

I did some samples for a class that I taught and I compared tying off to taking small stitches that are cut off. After washing the sample 10 times, you can see a small fuzzy thread nub on the threads that were cut. I tie off all start on stops on my personal quilts (I try to only do edge to edge for customers). However, there are lots of prize-winning quilters who cut threads, and lots who tie off as well. Try doing a sample and see which you prefer.

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

Hi Marie!

Think how great you'll be when you do get your "dream longarm" after all your practice?!

I think you're on the right track by burying threads for your own quilts, especially show quilts. Just remember to leave a little space (1/8") between the fabric and the knot when you tie it. Otherwise the knot won't bury in the batting and may pull back out to the top of the quilt.

When doing customer quilts, I can't take the time for tying and burying on all the stops and starts of custom quilting. On those, I do a couple very small stitches at the start and stop, but I try to make those hide in another line of quilting. So, if I've outlined a block by stitching in the ditch, I will do my other starts in that ditch stitching. It doesn't hide it completely, but does camouflage it. I've have still gotten good judges comments using this method.

Happy Quilting!

I have been trying the knot and bury. But I have a question. When I run out of bobbin and I am starting up again, Do I just start a little into the stitching left before my bobbin ran out? Does that make sense? That's what I have been doing. What is a better and safer way? This part just confuses me!:o When I watch Myrna's videos, I notice that she does not knot and bury, but I can't figure out what she is doing! Every time I watch them, I try to figure it out, but can't:( Can anyone explain? thanks!! linda

Hi Gals, I always T & T which is Tie and Tuck.. when I run out of bobbin thread, I frog, pulling the bobbin thread up to the top. When it is about 1 1/2"long.. barely long enough to tie, then I tie and tuck it in, and start over in the last stitch, so there's no gab in the thread.

Good Luck..

RitaR

Hi Linda,

When you frog back and have enough thread to knot and bury, yes, the bobbin thread is a stitch away. Knot about an eighth of an inch out and stick the needle through whichever stitch is last in the line of stitching. Bury the knot and you will have a completed stitch headed in the right direction. Did that make sense?

Archived