Metallic Thread

Help!! I have been trying out differnt threads and I am having problams with Matallic Thread. It keeps breaking, The tension on the top and bottom of the quilt are good. And I am using Superior bottom line thread. The matallic is also by Superior 40wt. and I have tryed using a MR-4 and MR-5 I also tryed lub. on the thread although you not suppose to, but it keeps breaking every 2-3 inch. After 3 hours of trying I gave up.

Can anyone out there tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have only been in quilting with longarm for 11 month.

And I what to try quilting one of my quilts with matallic thread.

Yolanda

Hi Yolanda,

Don't know how much you have loosened your top tension, but you may need to go looser. If it is still breaking try that , you just don't want to get to the point that you are getting loops on the bottom side of the quilt. You may also want to try a different cone of metallic to make sure you don't have some bad thread. Hope this helps. :)

Hi Yolanda

Did you try loosening the tension as Mark suggested. I use Superior on a cone with no problems.

You could also hold the cone in your right hand (at the base) and pull off about 1" with your left hand and then bring your left hand towards to right hand. the thread will drop and form a U shape - if it twists around itself you should place the cone on the coneholder upside down and this may stop the breakage problem.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Hi Yolanda,

I have found that although most threads run beautifully off my dual spool holder on the top of the machine, for metallics I need to use the holder at the back of the machine.

It fascinates me how although many of us have the same machines, different confugurations work better for some than others.

Hopefully someone here has helped you solve the problem.

Cheers

Cherie in Australia

Funny thing is right now I'm using metalic thread on a tablecloth for a customer. However I'm using the dual spool holder and I'm using plain old Gutterman metalic. Funny thing is with the gutterman if you can squish the metalic spool between your fingers and it feels spongy it won't work it has to be wrapped tight, just like on a bobin. I also use good old YLI cotton in the bottom. After a while I do get breakage just becasue of the speed and friction but I can usually get all the way across on a panto and no problems what so ever on freehand. I do know that if I'm having problems it's probably a bad spool or cone of thread. Hope this helps.

Happy quilting

Tina

The Quilt lady

Has anyone tried the Halo glitter from Superior? I want to use it on a snowman quilt with Bottom Line in the bobbin. Usually I use a 4.0 needle. Just wondering if I should expect any problems. I plan to only thread through about half the guide holes and use the dual spool holder on top. Am I right so far? Thanks.

Archived