CQ Quilting

Nadia Wilson

Hi Nadia,

Doesn't it feel good to get those UFOs out of the closet and finished?! And the CQ makes it so much quicker and easier. The allover meander you did on that quilt is just perfect. I wish more people would consider simpler patterns for their quilts.

I had the privilege last week of quilting 2 UFOs for a lady that's in her final days. A friend helped her get her sampler blocks put together and made into 2 quilt tops instead of the one top she had planned for their bed. One quilt goes to her husband and the other to her 8 year old granddaughter. I put soft flannel on the back of the quilts instead of the old sheets she'd sent for them, and now they are truly "comfort" quilts. Little 8 year old Sarah slept at the hospice with her gramma a couple of nights ago, snuggled under the new quilt her gramma made for her and that I quilted on Friday. A friend put the binding on and yesterday I made special labels with pictures for both quilts.

I've put albums in the Gallery on my web site under "Ann Thompson - Gift to Bob" and Ann Thompson - Gift to Sarah". Sometimes we need to give back from the abundance we've been blessed with. I don't know who's been more blessed by the quilting of these quilts; the family who received them, or me.

http://trilliumhousedesigns.com/gallery/

Darlene, A grandma and her little grand daughter snuggled together under that quilt is such a sweet vision for me to imagine. Awww! I wanted to "boo hoo" and eyes tear up from reading your story. :) You are an angel on earth to help make this family's situation more comforting.

PS: The quilts you did are gorgeous (as usual, you totally rock, woman!) And the quilting you digitized from the photos; very cool! Wow. I saw the photo of Ann with her DH; she is (was) a beautiful lady. She passed away too soon.

Hi Shana,

We should all be "angels on earth" and I have a feeling you're one of them!

When my then 18 year old son was in an accident 20 years ago, and in a coma for 4 months, a group of ladies from our church got together and organized a schedule of hot meals for the family. Every night when I came home from the hospital (a 2 hour round trip), I knew that my husband and other son had been fed. It was such a comfort knowing that many people were giving of themselves to ease our pain in such a practical way.

I'm trying to be open to ways to pay back the many kindnesses we've been shown over the years. NO family is immune to trauma and sadness, and we all need to pitch in and try to ease the suffering of others, never knowing when it will be OUR turn to need the help. Sometimes all that's needed is a quiet hug. No words, just a hug.

Sorry Nadia! I should have started another Topic instead of piggy-backing onto yours.

Hi all!

Thanks for the awesome comments! Yes, I was looking for the antique look with this top...that's why I did the meander pattern...I washed the quilt about 3 times to get it to look the way it is. I really like the effect....it scrunched up quite nicely!

Yes, it does feel good to get the UFO's completed after having them around for so many years. Best part is, everytime I look for a UFO I find quilt tops that have been cut but not finished sewing together yet! At this rate I'll have practice pieces for at least another year! Some tops I have found I do not even remember starting.... good thing I always kept all the fabric and pieces together in one bag when I started stuff way back when, as I'd never find matching fabrics to finish them now! My latest find in my sewing room is a mid sized clear container full of batiks and fossil fern fabrics...and here I thought I had never bought batiks in the past....(I've started adding a batik collection to my stash just before Christmas last year). What a find!

Oh Darlene! It is okay with me...if you wouldn't have added to my post you may not have posted about your story, it is so nice to give back to others, does make one feel good.

Thanks again for the nice words about my quilting and quilt.

Giving to anyone in need is always good.. when the need is by one who really can't do for themselves, it's all the sweeter. I wish I knew how to quilt when our son was terminally ill. Those quilt stories are wonderful.. tears flow, and my prayers are to thank you both for your loving hearts to others.

RitaR

Archived