Double Wedding Ring quilt finished!

Darlene Epp

FINALLY! and thank goodness for zippers! After 3 times on and off the machine this quilt is finally finished. I used one of my DWR digitized designs called Springtime. Here's one pic of the back of the quilt. You can see more pics in this album on my website.

http://www.trilliumhousedesigns.com/gallery/15/

I traded "frog-stitching" on one of my quilts for the quilting on this one. YES, I DO mess up sometimes, usually on my OWN quilts. :mad: I have a good relationship with my cousin. She likes to frog-stitch and I like to quilt. It's a win-win situation. LOL SHE'S also crazy! But I'm not telling her that! :P

post--13461900446566_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bonnie. This is the kind of DWR where the arcs are pieced and sewn to a facing and turned inside out and "appliqued" to the block. Then the blocks are sewn together, which leaves the melons all with a seam allowance down the middle and the piecing didn't always line up well at the intersections.

The rings themselves are pretty stable because of the interfacing, so for now she's said not to quilt anything in them. I hope she doesn't change her mind when the quilt is washed! I have a feeling those rings are going to need something to hold them down. NOT looking forward to that!

Thanks Shana. You're right about the detail you can get with a computerized system. I've now designed 8 different sets for DWRing quilts. Think I need to concentrate on something a little more popular, like Irish Chains or something, but I sure had fun doing the DWRing sets! Here's another one called Budding Ferns.

post--13461900446801_thumb.jpg

Actually you are right in that fact....I had a customer do the same thing to me...she did the EB Egg Money quilt technique and of course not having a CQ I didn't have any where near the same quality or the amount of quilting as these are.. she washed it and it looked like C**P...it took several hours of blocking and when just about dry I attached it to the frame and with it being pinned and side clamped I was able to stretch it back out enough to do a leafy squiggle in the arches and it did hold it down. But they looked really bad without some kind of quilting...may be you should call her back and add more now before washing.

Thanks for the advice Bonnie. I used Hobb's Bleached Cotton, no scrim, on this quilt, so I know it's going to pucker up, which is exactly the look she likes. She's coming out for the weekend, so I'll talk to her about it.

We also discussed just putting a line of stitching down the center of the arcs. That would certainly be the easiest solution but I'm not sure how good it would look or whether it would just look like I was trying to tack down the arcs. I do NOT want to ditch everyone of those little pieces when the rings have already been ditched. I know Continuous Curve would also be an option but I think it would detract from the other designs and look a bit busy. Any creative suggestions are MORE than welcome!

I've already trimmed the quilt ready for binding, so adding more quilting is not going to be a fun job. But I think you're right. I need to listen to what my "gut" is telling me and play it safe rather than be sorry later!

It is beautiful - I love to look at backs and when they are this wonderful, you have 2 complete quilts!!! I just love what you have done. Sometimes I wish for a computerized system, but in reality - don't have the money now and also I really feel that I should learn the machine first. One step at a time. Your designs are beautiful.!!

I would agree with Bonnie. Darlene, I was just looking at your website last night and found those lovely DWR patterns. I wondered how they would look on a quilt. Good timing. I would like to see a digitized design for those arcs that comes close to 1/4 inch around the pieces--you know, the traditional look. What a tremendous task to 1/4 inch all those pieces one at a time!:o

I've been trying to draw a DWR pattern that has ribbons and bows in the background and incorporating something into the melons and intersections so it would sew the whole circle in one pass. Of course you'd have to have three or four patterns for each circle after the first one, and an edge, and a corner, etc. It may not be worth it--easier to do each element at a time. What do you think?

Thank you Meg. I agree with you that it's a good idea to get to know your machine and learn to do some freehand work before getting fully involved with the computerized quilting. There are lots of owners of computerized systems that have never even learned to do stitch in the ditch. And I've also sold machines to people that 4 years later are still using ONLY their Circle Lord attachments.

It's a good idea to be well-rounded in your skills. But as our bodies age, it's really good to know we don't have to give up our passion. My sister is getting QuiltStudio because she was in a car accident over a year ago and she just can't keep up with the volume of quilts she has to do. She's taking way too many pain killers just to get through the day and still make a living, since this is her only income.

I love it for the creativity that isn't limited by my physical inability to quilt designs like I'm now digitizing. Some say that computerized systems will take away your creativity but I'm finding just the opposite.

There are now many more digitized patterns available than paper patterns, and the sky is the limit with what we can do with these machines! My mind has been opened up to possibilities like never before!

Originally posted by Boni

I would agree with Bonnie. Darlene, I was just looking at your website last night and found those lovely DWR patterns. I wondered how they would look on a quilt. Good timing. I would like to see a digitized design for those arcs that comes close to 1/4 inch around the pieces--you know, the traditional look. What a tremendous task to 1/4 inch all those pieces one at a time!:o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The problem with digitizing for the whole arc is that no one's piecing is completely accurate. I ran into that with this quilt. I think it would have been more accurate done the traditional way, but this is what I had to work with.

There are also several different methods and templates for DWR quilts. I have 2 sets of templates here (unused!) and the individual arc pieces are quite different in their size and shape. The larger curvy square however, was consistent and it's that shape I used for the digitized patterns. It was also consistent with the quilt I had here, so felt it was safe to assume that these patterns would work with the open areas on the quilt, but to digitize something for the pieced arcs would be a hit and miss; most likely a miss.

You also mentioned being able to quilt one whole row of rings in one pass. Here again, nothing would be perfect because the piecing isn't perfect or completely square.

Even if you skewed it just a bit when mounting it, the design wouldn't end up in exactly the right spot.

Oops, It took me too long to draw and post. I know what you're talking about with irregular piecing, difference in DWR methods, etc. I thought maybe if the fabric was busy enough you could wing it. Well, back to the drawing board, so they say.

Thanks for the sounding board.:)

WOWSER! What a magnificent quilt and quilt design that is! Its been along time since we had the opportunity to see your superb quilting and ink-redible creativity! I hope you will make a habit of sharing more of your work in the near future!

Is this a wholecloth or does it have some piecing on the other side? Also,maybe I missed it but who gets this beauty??

Hi Sherry,

Thank you! That pic was the back of the quilt. I gave the link for the other pics on my website 'cause I still can't figure out how to post more than one picture at a time!

http://www.trilliumhousedesigns.com/gallery/15/

Here's one pic of the front. The quilt belongs to my cousin Sandi. Story is in my first post.

post--13461900447455_thumb.jpg

Hi Bonnie,

No, CQ doesn't have point to point feature. It may be coming in the new upgrade due out very soon, but I'm not sure about that. I do have several P2P designs on my website that would work well for this, but I may just have to freehand it, or do an arc down the center. Sure wish I hadn't taken it off the zippers and trimmed it!

What is it Oprah says? "Listen to your gut!" Think I'll ever learn to do that?! :o

Darlene

I hate to admit this, but sometimes just freehanding it will get it done faster! :D

I'm learning to listen to my gut when I play cribbage with DH. Every time I change my mind, he scores on my hand. Some of us learn slowly--especially me.:P

I'm glad to hear that CQ is making advances. It keeps the market competitive. I've been a little disappointed in the Statler version of Creative Studio. It's a challenge for me. I still digitize my own designs but I've been shopping around for "ready-made" in a pinch. Yours look very interesting and I'm watching your site for that perfect one when the opportunity comes along.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry about the large format, but I was afraid you couldn't see the detail. This is just a sketch off the top of my head. I was playing with the ribbons in the center and couldn't make it symmetrical. I wanted them to flow into the center from the bows along the edge or the corner. Hope it gives you some inspiration.

"Ribbons

Archived