Breaking Needles - Machine jamming

I'm having a lot of trouble with needles breaking and my machine jamming. I broke 6 or 7 needles doing a batik quilt last week (3.5 needles) then for the quilt I have on the machine now, I switched back to 4.0 needles and have broken 2 so far. The machine jams and I can't move the needle bar, so have to run the machine which then makes huge holes in the fabric because a broken needle is being jammed into the fabric (the needle up-down button does not work when it is jammed).

Anyone ever have this problem? I'm thinking I have to retime the machine (which I have had to do TWICE in the past month . . . hmmmm . . .)

Connie, I'll be calling you if I can't figure this out!!

thanks

Sara

Anugram,

Yes, I've had that very problem. I had done some repairs which worked fine but I did not tighten the screws enough and with the machiine working, things came loose and I jammed needles, got burrs on the needle and generally couldn't move the needle, it was stuck.

I ended up damaging the hook on my machine and screwing up the timing. It cost me 3 days in the shop and $130 to fix it. The maintenance info that we get on this forum is great, I use it faithfully. But some things should just be left to the experts... I think I would call Connie at APQS for starters.

1-800-426-7233

Hang in there.

Hi Sara,

Sounds like something is loose, or keeps coming loose...

If you grab ahold of the entire hook assemble, can you move it in and out? There is some side to side, but we don't want any in and out! If there is, we need to tighten the collar behind the hook..

You shouldn't have to re-time the machine that often..

Is this happening in s.r. or in manuel or both??

If the s.r. happens to be cutting out, that could cause it...

Give me a call and we will do some trouble-shooting over the phone!

thanks, COnnie & Linda.

I will take a look when I get home tonight and give COnnie a call tomorrow from work if I am still having problems.

BTW, it happens in SR which is what I use most of the time, particularly for SID which is when most of the breaks are happening.

thanks

Sara

Archived