Here Comes Frankie

I finished my Innovations quilt last week and I soaked/spun it in the washer to remove the blue marks. The blue came out no problem but the quilt had way more wrinkles than me. LOL.

I asked Debbi Treusch if the wrinkles would really come out if I blocked the quilt. She assured me that the wrinkles would be blocked out. (punny, huh?) So my friend Christi and I sat on the floor of my guest room with a wet Frankie and about 250 pins while we blocked Frankie and watched Karen Mc Tavish's Quilt for Show quilt. Debbi warned me to let it dry completely. So tonight I pulled it up and here it is. You were right, Debbi, the wrinkles came out.

If you are going to Innovations, look for my quilt, Here Comes Frankie, in the Creativity Challenge. My friend Debbie Heaton pieced this one for me. We make a good team.

post--13461900450688_thumb.jpg

Sally Terry is going to love this one!! Linda, you did an excellent job on that one. I wish I could see it up close--I'll bet the colors on my monit0r are not what they are in real life. Scrumptious I'm sure.

Do you draw the feathers on and then stitch on the lines, or is it just a spine and freehand the loops?

Yes, tell us more, pleeaaaasse....:D

Good luck in the challenge!

Thanks, everybody, for the nice comments. The colors on the quilt are pretty close to real on the first photo. This quilt will be mine so I wanted to make me happy which means lightweight and not a lot of quilting.

I fell in love with this fabric, it is so sweet and airy looking. The fabrics are a light beige with teensy tiny white and green flowers in a very open print, then pale green Fusion and a blackie brown Kona for the accent blocks and binding. The back is a mottled medium green.

I used 2 different shades of green thread by Hemingworth (Seafoam and Sage). http://www.quiltersparadiseesc.com/Online%20Shopping/Threads.php

Karen's book Quilt for Show was full of great tips and ideas. That's where the 2 thread idea came from. http://www.designerquilts.com/products.html

The batting is Quilter's Dream cotton in the Select weight.

It is all freemotion. I marked the lines in the hearts because I wanted them to be precise.

The 4 sets of arcs were a challenge since I have no tools that would mark that. I have Renae's Mini-rays but these arcs were about 37" across. The diamond arcs were done in pencil (with a BIG eraser) freehand (many times) on a piece of paper (taped to other paper), then marked with permanent marker. Then that was copied to Golden Threads quilt paper ( http://www.goldenthreads.com/p-1256-golden-threads-quilting-paper-18-wide.aspx ) and then transfered to a big old computer desk box that was big enough to do the arcs. Pretty low tech solution but it worked.

I used the blue marker for the arcs too. The piano keys and straight lines were easy as were the feathers. I noticed that one of the outside set of feathers is a bit bigger than the others but oh, well.

Getting a quilt ready for show is a lot of small things. The big thing about slecting pattern, the choice of fabrics, those are relatively easy decisions. The details about shipping, sleeve, label are all different at different shows. All of this thinking and prep is funneled into meeting the deadline.

For me, putting a quilt into a show is just part of the growth process. But it is definitely time-consuming.

Oh, and the name....the first time I saw the quilt top completed, it reminded me of the clean lines on structures designed by the American architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Thus Frankie, a little linear but with soft feathers. ;)

Linda I love the quilt and your quilting is absolutely a ribbon winner!!! You have done and awesome job and it looks flawless to me. I'm excited to SEE the ribbon you get and wish I was there to see it in person........WOW I LOVE IT!!!! Watch out everyone.......HERE COMESSSSSSSSS FRANKIE!!!!!

Renae

Archived