bleeding embroadery thread

Hi

I have a problem with a quilt top that was hand embroaderied and is a stamped stitching lines. I have been trapuntoing the bear and I forgot to check Da, which was the front or back. Needlessly to say I started using water soluable thread to put on the trapunto batting on and I then realized that it was the front that I was putting on the batting. So I took cold water on facet and put alittle on and it immediately started running. How or what is the best way to get this out. I do know somethings to do that work but thought I would try asking before I try this because this is a white background. I did not dry in dryer as that will set the stain. Help??????????????????????? Please. Nita

Can you wash it? You might want to try washing it with one of those Shout Color Catcher cloths. They catch color bleed. As far as getting it out of the white, I'm not sure. What color was the thread?

I had this problem on my grandson's quilt. The red and purple DMC floss both bled. I just washed and washed it with shout until it was pale. It is still there, but hard to see.

I'll assume the thread is a cotton embroidery floss (I do a lot of needlework finishing). Your best bet is to continue to run cold water through the embroidery until the color stops bleeding. After that a weak solution of Oxy-clean applied to the white fabric should remove the last of the color.

Good luck!

Mary

Archived